Mare Aborted Today.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

End Level Farms

Reaction score
My mare (not sure which one yet will have to have the vet out to confirm them again) aborted a filly today.

I have the feeling its the mare that I have had for 2 years and not gotten a foal out of her.

IF that is the case then the mare would have been 138 days in foal today. And after speaking with the vet he thinks that by placing her on regumate I would be able to successfully keep her in foal.

Anyone have any experience with having a mare on regumate to keep her in foal?

Thanks.

I have not personally had a mare on regumate, but have worked on numerous thoroughbred farms that have had mares on it. It works.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your foal.
default_no.gif

Thankfully I have 2 more miniature mares in foal. And a paint mare.

I still have something to look forward to.

I am sorry to hear you lost a foal - it is never easy. Hope the mare heals quickly for you.

I have not done the Regumate to sustain a pregnancy other than to prevent Mercy from premature labor back in 2001 - but knew of a lady with an older Morgan mare who successfully maintained her pregnancy on Regumate and foaled a filly some years back.

Best wishes and hugs -

Denise

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
I don't have any experience with Regumate.

I am sorry for your loss -- I have used Regumate in the past and wouldn't hesitate to do so again if I had a mare that tended to abort early. I also use Regumate during stressful times such as weaning and transport. I would be happy to pass on what I have found - feel free to call (425) 788-5184 (I a pretty close to you, so same time zone)

Stacy

So sorry for your loss. I have used Regumate early and late in a pregnancy, never for the entire gestation, and it has certainly sustained some that might likely have been lost. It's always a learning curve with mares, no matter how many you have had.

Jan

I am sorry for your loss -- I have used Regumate in the past and wouldn't hesitate to do so again if I had a mare that tended to abort early. I also use Regumate during stressful times such as weaning and transport. I would be happy to pass on what I have found - feel free to call (425) 788-5184 (I a pretty close to you, so same time zone)
Stacy

Hello Stacy,

I will be calling you when I get a chance.

As she is a wonderful mare and if I could get a foal out of her that would be completely awesome. I love her no matter what.

Thank you everyone.

I havent really had a lot of experience with abortions. As I have never had problem mares. Not because of design but just because.

It has worked beautifully for me...I have maintained mares through entire pregnancy or through the end of pregnancy when placentitis risked loss of the foal in last months.

You can either PM me or call.

We have used Regumate through the entire pregnancy and had live foals. I would do it again and certainly suggest doing it on a mare like this that has lost hers in the past.

It is an insurance policy and worth the price to get a live foal.

I would be happy to pass any information on to you about our experiences.

I am sorry for your loss. i certainly know what it is like to dream about your next years foal only to have it snatched away.
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss.... it is heartbreaking to loose a foal

no matter what the circumstances.

We are now for the first time having to use regumate on a mare to sustain pregnancy

and she has been on it for a few weeks now the vet wants us to do 2 months then recheck her

blood as her #'s were low and if they are up to snuff then we can take her off it

She has had 2 other foals for us, and at least 2 for a previous owner and this is the first time

we have had to use regumate to sustain a pregnancy

I find it easier to use a larger syringe to give it to her every day as opposed to a smaller one

even though it is only 3 cc's a day

Latest posts

Back