mare aborted just now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyNicole

Reaction score
Our roan ranger mare just aborted a filly and as usual we can’t get a hold of a vet.(won’t get into that
default_sad.png
) I was wondering how long after aborting will she bleed….we weren’t here and when we got home she was in the field placenta still attached .It is about two months premature. Thanks for your help

Has she "cleaned"?

Any aborts we have had here were earlier in the pregnancy and everything came at once. The mare usually just carries on as if nothing happened.

Sorry for your loss
no.gif

[We had our friends from down the street that have goats come and they had a vet tech friend come out and she thinks that a piece of the placenta might have broken off. The bad thing is that NO vet around here ever seems to answer when we have a emergency...she is acting like she has colic. The vet tech said that she doesn't know of any vet who would see us after hours

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you are saying the placenta is still inside of her?

Is she stalled now? Does she know she's lost her baby?

If she isn't in the barn - get her there. Feed her Hay and Water only. If she has not passed the placenta and you have oxytocin available (if you don't have any, maybe your goat friends or your vet tech friend does?), give her a 1/4cc to help her get rid of the afterbirth. It would also be good if you have some Banamine to ease the pain of the contractions.

If she knows she's lost the baby, I would advise leaving the foal with her for now so she can grieve....This will also help her stress less, if she is stressing.

In the mean time.......get on the phone and CALL EVERY VET WITHIN AN HOUR RADIUS OF YOU. I CANNOT believe that there is NO VET who will come out after hours. HOLY GAMOLIE!!!!!

If the placenta/afterbirth is hanging from her, do NOT pull on it.

So, you are saying the placenta is still inside of her?

Is she stalled now? Does she know she's lost her baby?

If she isn't in the barn - get her there. Feed her Hay and Water only. If she has not passed the placenta and you have oxytocin available (if you don't have any, maybe your goat friends or your vet tech friend does?), give her a 1/4cc to help her get rid of the afterbirth. It would also be good if you have some Banamine to ease the pain of the contractions.

If she knows she's lost the baby, I would advise leaving the foal with her for now so she can grieve....This will also help her stress less, if she is stressing.

In the mean time.......get on the phone and CALL EVERY VET WITHIN AN HOUR RADIUS OF YOU. I CANNOT believe that there is NO VET who will come out after hours. HOLY GAMOLIE!!!!!

If the placenta/afterbirth is hanging from her, do NOT pull on it.
She's stalled...we will put the baby back in she was looking for it.... I will call the friends but I don't think they have any from how they were talking....the vet tech just told us basically if she lives through the night then the placenta didn't tear off and if she doesn't then it did. We are calling but when we had one choke we called every one we knew within two hours but they never called us back and this was during the day. Don't have Banaminie...we just got her and our vet wouldn't give any to a mare he hadn't seen yet.... we asked for 100cc and all he would give is 3cc for our mare who already foaled, do have some coming in from a vet we know out of state but that doesn't help now.... Hate vets around here.... the placenta was out all of the way when we found her but the vet tech looked and thought that part of it might have broken off inside of her from the way she is acting

Where in Arkansas are you located?

There is a vet in Rosebud that makes farm calls to Little Rock named Dr. Mike Pallone. I have his number if you want it.

If the placenta is still attached, then why does the vet tech think it broke off?

When we had our first Mini Foal not one vet (I called every vet in the book including dog/cat vets) and not one would come out when they found out it was a mini. She had retained her placenta for 6 hour before we got it to clear. No Vets Helped! (jerks)

I was wondering how long after aborting will she bleed
What do you mean - is she dripping lots of bright red blood?

she is acting like she has colic
the placenta was out when we found her but the vet tech looked and thought that part of it might have broken off from the way she is acting
She may just be cramping from the sudden delivery - that "looks" like colic.... there is no way that they necessarily "act" this soon if a bit of placenta is retained.

.the vet tech just told us basically if she lives through the night then the placenta didn't tear off and if she doesn't then it did
HUH?

She would "live through the night" even if she retained a bit of placenta. This supposed vet tech seems to be a bit needlessly alarmist as opposed to helpful...
default_unsure.png
...maybe she is referring to something else?

called the vet and left a message.... she is dripping blood not all at one time though she will squat and blood comes out....I was thinking it was normal(after having a baby and everything) No the vet tech told us that she may die through the night....I don't know this vet tech for all I know she might be a small animal vet tech(maybe she is still in school who knows) but she is all we could get to come out

Ok the vet told us what to do to flush her out and of course she will be taken to the vet in the morning... thanks so much Terri

I hope the night went OK...then I think that "vet tech" should be strung from the rafters!!
default_no.gif
She sounds like she is, as my Dad used to say, a bit too big for her britches. I cannot imagine how awful your evening must have been. Please let us know that all is going well
default_sad.png

Ok the vet told us what to do to flush her out and of course she will be taken to the vet in the morning... thanks so much Terri
Your very welcome.

long night.... she's fine though. we flushed her out and I think if she had anything retained in there it is out now... took her to our so called vet and she will be in antibiotics and kept stalled for now.... lol that’s what I think about that vet tech this was only going to be our second foal here so we scare easily....I thought she knew more than I would but I guess not....

Thanks so much for the advice and help yesterday that "vet tech" scared me to death and then acted like there was nothing we could do about it. Also wanted to say thanks to Belinda...she sent me a e-mail with her vets name in Hot Springs...I think we might be going to him from now on, anyone is better than one who ignores emergencies (and I found out he does it all of the time, even when horses are dying and need to be put down)

anyway...Thanks so much for all the Help and reassurances.... it's great to have a place to go when something like this happens

Thanks so much for the advice and help yesterday that "vet tech" scared me to death and then acted like there was nothing we could do about it.
As I suspected last night, she was alarmist and did not seem to know what the heck she was talking about.

Shame on her for scaring you like that needlessly....
default_no.gif

I am so glad your little mare is on the mend!

Latest posts

Back