Marathon gestation here...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minifarmgirl

Reaction score
Who out there has had a mare go over 350 days? (maiden or not) Also any photos would be great. I'm beginning to doubt that she's pregnant at this point. Vet is coming Wednesday, then I'll know for sure. Had blood pregnancy test in September...positive! Absolutely no way she could have aborted without my knowledge. How often are these tests wrong? Maiden mare 352 days today, fat v shaped belly, no bag, rolling, butt rubbing, irritable (me too. LOL) stops eating a few times before finishing, urinates often. Then yesterday her belly kind of lost it's v shape. Today seems to be back again. At this point I could be imagining things
default_wacko.png
: I swear I have seen the baby move...now I'm not so sure. I've tried to post pics, but it's no use LOL. I can e-mail them though, if anyone wants to have a look. Thanks
default_wacko.png
:

I hope your little mare is in foal! I have a little mare I bought last fall. She is the most pregnant looking mare on my farm! I had her palpated early Jan and she was said to be open. She sure looks like she could foal this spring, but I guess not!

We had one that went 354 days once. Believe me, once is enough. Since she was hand bred, there was no doubt about the date. It makes for a really loooooonnnnnggggg mare stare! Best wishes, Linda

I keep telling you the min you go to Walmart she'll drop it!!..LOL :lol:

[SIZE=14pt]NO bag at 350 days???? that makes me wonder... I had a mare go 354 days and had a filly last year and two years ago Howie baked for 378 days! That was a shocker![/SIZE]

Lyn

I had one go 358 days. I thought she would never foal. When she finally did, I had checked on her in early morning and she was eating hay contentedly. I went back 30 minutes later and the foal was already born.

That foal was 23 inches at birth and is about 32 as a two year-old.

I had a mare go 403 days once. About drove us mad. She only had one cover, so it was an accurate gestation.

We expected the worst and sent her to U of PA's New Bolton Center to foal out in their neo-natal high risk pregnancy dept.

All was fine. She delivered a healthy filly with no problems.

And she just missed tying New Bolton's record for longest gestation by one day.

I no longer own the mare - I sold her after that! I couldn't bare the thought of going through another marathon gestation!

(the following year, she had a normal gestation!)

403 days!!! GOOD GRIEF!!! I`d be ready to be committed by then!!! Guess all these experienced prove that not all longer gestations are colts......and the same mare wont necessarily do the same thing year after year. I wonder if it has anything to do with which stallion she is pregnant for?? Long time breeders may be able to answer this perhaps???

Maiden mare, 348 days today. handbred, small but tight bag, no milk.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Foal is palying football inside her, lol.

She is driving me insane, the foalalarm system wakes me up at least 20 times a night. She sleeps alot at her side, but could not stand it for long, she gets up, went back to sleep 15 minutes later.

I can't recognice myself in the mirrow anymore. I'm looking like a ghost.

403 DAYS!!! :new_shocked: I'll never survive THAT long
default_wacko.png
: Keep the stories coming. It's helping me keep what little sanity I have left. :lol: Thanks!!! How about some pictures of these fatties
default_smile.png

This amre was around 350 days..(can't remember exactly, sorry) anywyas she had a vet appt. the day AFTER the picture was taken. I told her about it too..she gave birth the following night. :lol: :lol:

ece87f52.jpg

I'll say not pregnant. I feel if she was pregnant, she would be lots rounder back in front of her flank area. Yet the roundness up front, looks very strange, but yet to me, does not look typical baby.

Does she have any udder development at all? Any fullness to the 'pouch' (milk glands) in front of her udder? If she has neither, I would be wondering whether she is in foal or not. I'll be anxious to hear.

Who knows.Time will tell.I have had a mare go 368 days and boy that foal was big when it came out.It cooked an extra month.I think some of them carry the babies under their armpits.Some don't even look pregnant when they deliver.I have also had 2 false pregnancies.Both had milk and I searched the pasture for a dead baby when the swelling was gone 1 morning.I wish these Minis would read the books about this foaling business.No waxing, no bag,nothing.Bam, here is the baby.

Hi Becky, Yes there is a fullness of the pouch (glands) in front of her udder, but no bag. I just noticed the pouch this morning. Is that a good sign???
default_smile.png

Also, is there ANY way you could be wrong on the dates? Maybe bred more than once? Maybe bred through a fence that you were not aware of? Anything at all? I am probably worng...I was wrong last year, and Marty has Timmy to prove it!
default_yes.gif
:

You said you thought you saw the foal move, but did you try to feel for movement? If you place your hand flat against her belly just in front of the pouch (which is in front of the udder), and gently press up just a little, if you are patient, you will feel the foal moving around. I find this is easier at feeding time, when the babies seem to be more active. Give it a try!

Lori

You said you thought you saw the foal move, but did you try to feel for movement? If you place your hand flat against her belly just in front of the pouch (which is in front of the udder), and gently press up just a little, if you are patient, you will feel the foal moving around. I find this is easier at feeding time, when the babies seem to be more active. Give it a try!

Lori
Hi Lori, I have tried that a few times, but didn't feel anything. It's hard to be sure. Maybe I didn't give it long enough. The side of her belly does the wave when she eats, but not much going on underneath. I'll give it another try in the morning. Thanks!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back