Mane and Tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
Ok, this may be a dumb question, but does it matter if a horse is a stallion or a gelding when it comes to it's mane and tail growth? Reason I ask is because when I first got O So, his mane and tail were long, his tail rubbed the ground. I clipped about a inch off one time and it grew back fast. Then I got him gelded (sorry if that is the wrong term) and his tail now only goes to his fetlock (elbow?). He does rub it, so that could be causing the shortness, but he rubbed it as a stallion too and it seemed like it grew in length as it was getting thinner in fullness. Now it is then and short. As far as his mane, he did rub half of it out, but it just seems like it doesn't grow. His forelock seems like it never gets any longer.

So do their mane and tails grow better when they are stallions?

It probably has more to do with his age. As babies they grow that mane and tail like crazy getting it to its adult length and as a two year old he was still in that stage. Now he's a grownup and his hair growth has slowed. Some horses (like mine) continue to grow hair like maniacs for the rest of their lives, others seem to reach one particular length and stay there. My Arab was like that.

Leia

I've never seen this addressed with horses, but would imagine there is a good possibility that hormones could boost hair growth. What sounds more likely though is that he is just rubbing more.
default_smile.png
These little horses can really go to town in the spring when they get sweaty and old winter hair coats make them itch. Aggravating when they start rubbing tails out, but assuming nothing else has changed and he isn't wormy your best bet may be to get some winter hair off if you haven't already and be sure his sheath doesn't need cleaning as that can make them rub. If his skin/coat looks dry (and he's not overweight) you might add BOSS, oil or a coat supplement to his diet for awhile.

Jan

The year we put a drainage ditch across Thumper's run it we ended up with a hollow that he ran across. It was only about a foot lower than his pasture, but his running across the hollow back and forth caused the bottom of his tail to break off to his hocks. Once we filled it in smooth his tail started growing back.

I think it may affect it slightly due to hormones. My friend raises and shows Andalusians, and often they are kept stallions to make sure they keep their thick manes and tails since that is important in that breed.

That said, I have seen plenty of geldings with a ton of hair. I just think it's enhanced by the hormones that a stallion has.

Andrea

I want to say it has something to do with the hormones too. My gelding who was a stallion up until 2009 has a ling flowing mane and it grew like a weed! Then once we gelded him it stopped! Unless we help it which I have to do as my current stud ripped it out! Also my current stud has a big ol' mane too! It grew so much since last summer.
default_smile.png

I own two geldings, both of the guys were gelded immediately prior to coming to live with me and they both grow manes and tails like crazy! Shake's tail drags the ground by about three feet and Eli's (he's not quite 2 yet, in actual birthdate) is just touching the ground. Both guys have insanely long manes too. I think mane and tail growth have more to do with genetics than gender. JMHO.

If your guy is rubbing his tail, you may want to check him for pinworms. If that isn't the problem, it may just be dirt. During the course of your regular grooming, clean the underside of his dock with a baby wipe with aloe or a clean, damp towel. If that doesn't solve it, try a diluted Listerine solution on the topside of the dock. That may help the rubbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own two geldings, both of the guys were gelded immediately prior to coming to live with me and they both grow manes and tails like crazy! Shake's tail drags the ground by about three feet and Eli's (he's not quite 2 yet, in actual birthdate) is just touching the ground. Both guys have insanely long manes too. I think mane and tail growth have more to do with genetics than gender. JMHO.

If your guy is rubbing his tail, you may want to check him for pinworms. If that isn't the problem, it may just be dirt. During the course of your regular grooming, clean the underside of his dock with a baby wipe with aloe or a clean, damp towel. If that doesn't solve it, try a diluted Listerine solution on the topside of the dock. That may help the rubbing.

Yah, I have been trying to deal with is rubbing his tail since last year. I was told by the vet to give him a bath with baby shampoo and then dowse him with Keri Oil (diluted with water). I did that twice before winter got here, but still rubbed. I have him on a worming schedule, so if that takes care of pin worms, I should be good.

He does have dandruff. I am waiting for the weather to get better and I think I am going to give him a bath with Head and Shoulders to see if that will help the dandruff. I am adding about a teaspoon full of vegetable oil to his diet, so I was hoping that would help too.

I had another post about his itching a long time ago. THe only thing I haven't tried, that was suggested back then, was the lice treatment. I actually was going to try to treat it with a suggested lice spray or dust (don't remember what it was now), but I couldn't find it here. I asked my feed store if they could get it, but never heard back from them. I did look it up online when I was waiting on the feed store, and it said that it was not sold in CA. If I remember right, it couldn't be sold here, for some reason? Sure wish I could remember what it was called now? Anyway, I think I will be treating for lice after he gets his first bath of the summer.
default_biggrin.png

Back