Make up help for a silver chesnut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantasia

Reaction score
I have a silver chestnut with a white all the way around and the white "eye liner".

How do you all make up these guys? Shave and black chalk/goo?

White muzzle does give false impression of a wider nose than she actuallt has.

Help!

Not too sure what you mean by a "silver" Chestnut, so a picture would be helpful.....

The colour silver, comes in bay silver or black silver. If they have dapples, they can be known as bay or black silver dapples. Chestnuts can carry silver, but it doesn't show. Could you post a picture maybe?

Lizzie

since I don't have a picture, I'm going by what you have said and assume the horse in question has a bald face, I have several bald face horses and the worst thing is to razor them or clip them so short as to see pink skin. Clip as usual and put baby powder on the white to brighten it. I had a mare that was multi color Champion several times with a bald face, and I never showed pink skin, hate it. To each his own.

I think the poster is talking about a silver bay mini , in Australia and New Zealand silver chestnut seems to be a common term for silver bay

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it may have Pangaré as well, which is why I wanted a picture.....

Been trying to add a pic, to no avail!!!!

Yes - to be perfectly correct she IS a silver dapple bay pinto, but everyone over here goes "oh she looks chesnut...."
default_laugh.png

To try and describe, she has white all around the muzzle to just above the nostrils and a little sizzel of a blaze half way up her nose. She has straight profile, but fine head.

The white does make her look like she has big nose - so do I close clip then black out with chalk and goo or powder? Cannot find any pics of a horse with muzzle like hers in show pics, but see plenty in paddock condition.

She's a nice typy filly and it would be shame if the nose lets her down.
default_wub.png

And sorry, I'm ignorant on what Pangare is?????
default_wacko.png

Pangaré is when they have the creamy colouring round the eyes and under the belly and on the nose- think "Exmoor" but I was confused by your description, it sounds like you have a pretty normal Silver Bay + Splash White to me!

I would not black out the nose- I am not sure how your rules go but ours, although we are allowed to use make up on the face, will not allow the changing or masking of markings so it would be a fine line, I think.

I would try razoring (did I just suggest that? Wow!) just the nose area, and blending it in with the face then maybe a bit of more gently coloured make up.

I do know what you mean about the white nose making the nose look huge- I have a Splash filly with a "slipped" blaze- it starts a third of the way down and is broad, it is going to be a nuisance to clip that head next year.

Latest posts

Back