Major reason not to..Warning graphic pics..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This happens all too often! I don't know what is wrong with people. How uncaring does one have to be to not NOTICE that there is a problem? I have always wondered this. Even if one knows nothing about horses or how to care for them, once the halter gets to the point where it's cutting into the flesh and causing open, festering sores....how can they not notice? Are they just so stupid, or just so uncaring that they don't even LOOK at the horse once in awhile?

I remember one time our vet was here and he was telling us how just the day before he'd been at a place where he had to cut the halters off of two horses--they were in much the same shape as your little guy--and he was some angry with that owner. He said he really wanted to file charges against the person, but he didn't because as he said "you can't prosecute people for being stupid". It wasn't deliberate neglect/cruelty, the person simply didn't know anything about horses and hadn't a clue. The law at the time didn't provide much for a situation like that--that was quite a few years ago now. I hope he said enough to the owner that the guy wouldn't let the same thing happen again--and I'm sure he did.

I'm sure glad you got the horses back and this little guy is healing up well.

Oh wow! Poor kid!

I am one who uses break aways for the hard to catch horses, as I have people helping me who won't be as patient with catching young horses as I am.

I have seen some bad things when horses get stuck with halters, which lead me to the break aways.

I have no idea how people let this happen- I had a cribbing collar on a stallion I owned (Large pony stallion) and had just put it on for turn out. I ended up leaving him out over night, and it happened to rain. By the next day, the strap behing his ears cutting into him and getting weepy from the leather rubbing.

I felt like the biggest jerk ever, and used sheepskin from then on.

I couldn't imagin the amount of pain that horse was it.
default_no.gif

That wounds my heart deeply! I'm so srry for that colt and the others. Thank God you went there and got them back!

IMO a halter should never be left on a horse. A halter can maim or kill a horse. So if a horse is hard to catch either use a break away (if you must, like a foaling beeper) or make a chute-pen you can catch them in. At least a chute/pen won't hurt or kill them. If people chose to leave a halter on, it is not just that person that has to live with the outcome, it is the horse too. Sorry, but that is MY opinion.

Give him a hug for me!

My hubby is as non-horsey as it comes, but he was TICKED when I showed this to him. It's hard for even his mind to comprehend HOW anyone could let that happen! Makes me SOOOO mad to think someone inflicted this kind of hurt on that poor baby...

BLESS YOU for going and taking them out of there.

Jodi

Thankyou everybody.. I was quite sick to my stomache as the vet was taking care of him. I was also balling my eyes out when I noticed his problem. I do not know how it wasn't noticed either but I truly suspect that the person kinda fell out of love with them when they had to go out into the cold to take care of them,bust ice etc.... I think maybe they were just looking for a way out of taking care of them but I dont really know for sure but they gave them up pretty quickly and gave back thier registrations. I had to take them as I couldnt leave them in that situation but I was totally unprepared for them as my barn was full. I had to put some outside so I could put them inside for care and also had to wean the 9 month old colt off of his dam. That was quite fun I must say.
default_no.gif

I am soo thankful you got them back.

I am a responsible breeder, so I will ALWAYS take them back if I ever know they are in a bad situation.

Thats why I keep my number of foals down, 2-5 a year.

I did the same when I was raising Australian Shepherds a few years back.

When I was a kid I went to visit a friend who lived in the country. We went for a walk and got quite a way from her place, came across an old abandoned barn and decided to play in it. When we went inside there were 2 small ponies. I was 9 years old at the time and knew right away that their halters were too tight and their feet too long. I cried when I saw them. They had to have their halters surgically removed, both of them had foundered and their feet were in deplorable condition. The only reason they were still alive is that they had free run, could go in and out of the barn at will and there was a stream on the property. The owner had abandoned them almost 2 years previously. Charges were laid. If a 9 year old can recognize a situation like this surely an adult can't be that stupid or blind.

Slightly off subject but for those hard to catch horses I use a flymask instead of any type of halter, it will rip or tear if they do not get caught were the velcro can rip open or just come off the top of the head if they get stuck but still gave me something to grab onto if need be.

That's awful. So glad you checked up on him. I have a friend that leaves her horses halters on all the time, even in their stalls. Her reasoning is that, in case there's a fire she can get them out. I told her that if there were a fire, just open the stall doors and let them run if need be. My horses only have a halter on when I'm leading them/working with them.

Latest posts

Back