Major Kudos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonrockranch

Reaction score
My husband and I want to pass major thanks to Equipage. We believe that having an alerting system in place, as well as barn cameras helped save our mare Spirit. When she had trouble giving birth to her foal on Saturday, only with the Equipage going off and our ability to see her instantly on camera were we able to save her life. The foal was beyond help, but if I hadn't been able to rush down to the barn and reposition the baby, we would have lost her too. She was already quite distressed, so we had no time to lose. Unfortunately, she has a tendency to deliver standing up, so only when she went down and the pager went off, were we aware she was having trouble. If we didn't have the paging system, we wouldn't have known until we got outside to feed, which would have been another hour.

Also, I carried the pager on Sunday when Jade had her baby. We were outside bucking bales and when the pager went off (I had it in my pocket), I ran down to the barn. She was in no trouble, but after Saturday, I was taking NO chances! I did help her deliver the baby and it was the first birth we witnessed from beginning to end! WOW!

If anybody is debating on barn cameras or pager/alert systems, take it from us - the expense of the systems is far less than the trauma of losing a little one and possibly losing your mare. It doesn't make any difference what type of system you get, but please consider the safety of mother and baby when debating on whether or not to get a system.

It's stressful enough to worry during foaling season without worrying about losing your beloved minis.

Cheryl

I couldn't agree with you more! Now, if only I could remember how to use the Equipage pager! I have a mare who is very close!

Iagree completely. I would never be without my equipage or cameras. The service Ken gives with any problems or questions is outstanding! Sandy, I answered your question in your post. Corinne

I can't imagine having foals again without my EquiPage system. Ken is extremely helpful when you need help or service.

Now, there have been a few nights when that little beeper was going off for the umpteenth time because mommy-to-be was getting her beauty sleep, and I wanted to hurl the beeper across the room. Nights like those made me think, Gee it would be nice to just wake up in the morning and find a pretty little baby running around. But foaling doesn't always go that well, and I would hate to find my mare and foal dead because they needed a little help and nobody was there.

I have also used my EquPage system with colicky horses to monitor them and make sure they weren't going back down after treatment. In combination with a camera system, it has saved me a LOT of steps to the barn.

I'll triple that "I can't agree more"! I have no doubt that Equipage saved my mare and filly. And I have no doubt that our camera system saved our other mare and colt. The camera system in tandem with Equipage is really the only way to go. I've said it before...one without the other is not full coverage and I truly believe in insurance! It's an expense that you will never, ever regret.

I would not foal out mares with out my equipage!! It has saved the lives of so many of our foals and quite a few mares. I am happy to buy as many monitors as need be to make sure every mare that is anywhere near ready to foal has one on. I also dont wait till Im sure the mare is totally ready to foal as we have many mares that dont give all the signs. I often put it on maiden mares especially early. Doing so saved the life of one of our mares this year as she went into labor 2 mths early and could not deliver the foal. If we had not had the alarm on her Im sure she would have been dead by morning. So now if I see any bag development or any signs the alarm goes on them. Sure I miss some sleep but its better than losing the horse! Right now we are waiting for a very small mare to foal and she has only had 1 live foal out of 3 born. She has been wearing the monitor for 2 mths now and lays flat to sleep every night (keeping me from sleeping) but I am going to do everything possible to get her foal here alive and healthy!!

I have Breeder Alert and cameras and wouldn't think of breeding without them. Breeder Alert and Equipage are similar.

Latest posts

Back