Maiden Mare Not Accepting Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had a couple mares less than thrilled with their new baby, but they will accept them (IMHO!) if you keep at it. We tie and milk them to get the colostrum in them (I also give FoalResponse)to foals.

BUT you have to do this right away. I don't wait for hours, as soon as that foals up on its own, it's time to find the food source and mom to realize this is a good thing!

I tend to find our mares are more curious about the little alien and want to lick/smell/watch the foal so they keep moving rather than being aggressive. I've also observed over the years, good dams > make good dams > make good dams ....

DON"T GIVE UP! Tie that mare. Correct her aggression. Read the TEASE thread. Call Kay Kay for more advice, just look at how well Annie is doing now and that has to be the worst struggle with a maiden mare I've EVER heard. What did the vet say? How is your foal doing now? Keep us posted, there are so many people on here who care and will help you if they can!

Latest posts

Back