Maiden mare (is she pregnant??)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexi

Reaction score
I have this mare that I bought last august. I have a breeders certificate that says she was bred July 14, 2006. I had given up hope that she was pregnant but lately she has gained a ton of weight with no changes in feed. She is also being extra friendly and she is not happy unless she is with my stallion but no breeding is going on. She was breaking out of the pasture with the mares to be with him and now she is happy.

Please tell me... what do you think??

Thanks!!

DCFN0039-1.jpg

She looks like my maiden mare who I am mostly positive is pregnant. Can we see a shot of her from behind? How does her bag look? And vulva?

The trouble with some maidens is that they tend to not show their pregnancy as well as experienced mares.. The muscles of the belly, flank etc of maidens are still tight and have not been stretched like a mare who has had foal(s)..

I agree with PaintedMeadows, more pics may help.. Is she developing an udder? relaxing in rear and tailhead?

Thanks for the responces! Maybe these can help... I can't seem to get that perfect picture.
default_wacko.png
:

She has absolutely NO bagging or udders even showing. . .

Around her tail is starting to be soft and squishy...

I don't know if this means anything. but I checked to see if she had any milk because my yearling acted like he wanted to get milk from her. I really dont know what I'm looking for or what to expect. :eek:

DCFN0002.jpg

DCFN0007.jpg

DCFN0006.jpg

DCFN0041.jpg

She reminds me of my mother-in-law's mare, who I believe was a maiden, who didn't even get this big, no bag, nothing. On day 369 she delivered a healthy foal :bgrin

You may just have some waiting to do. Meantime, why not get a vet out to examine her, or do a urine test?

I'm gonna have to agree with Wiccanz... It's hard to tell from the pics, and the maiden girls are soooooo tricky sometimes.. Keep us up to date on her!

I'm sure there is someone here that sells them, just can't remember who. I get mine locally (NZ) from www.weefoalchecker.co.nz

Latest posts

Back