Magic Jack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had anyone got one.. Need more information on how you like it or not??????

http://www.themagicjack.ca/
Let me start by saying that I do not have magic jack so I really don't know the details on it, but a friend of mine has it and when she first got it, she mentioned to me that since the thing connects to your USB port on the computer, that you agree to allow the magic jack company to access your computer. To me, that is just too scary and opening you and your computer up to God only knows what trouble. So that made up my mind to never purchase magic jack. I would make sure you read all fine print before purchasing.

Now, I've been looking into Vonage which supposedly only connects to your cable/dsl modem and doesn't need a computer to operate. To me, that sounds a lot safer but I am still researching this. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Linda

I don't remember allowing them access to my comp.... yes, it does connect to your computer. It is NOT a stand-alone product, unfortunately. It depends on a computer to run. It crashes often, and is a pain int he butt really. It works, yes, and its cheap, but its a pain in the butt.

Don't know about Magic Jack per se, but it does go thru your computer so there is exposure. The thing they and Vonage don't tell you is that you still need a high speed internet connection because it uses VOIP. You are therefore at the mercy of the internet and the ISP. Latency of over 120ms will cause jitter and unintelligable sound quality.

That said we used Vonage in the office for several years with good success. We had a 12mb DSL circuit and 4 Vonage lines. Each Vonage modem gives you 2 lines. One with full features and one with stripped features primarily for fax but it works quite well as a second line phone. One important note. The Vonage router must be connected directly to the DSL/Cable modem rather than through a router. Something in the router, either NAT or security, causes the line to drop quite often. Otherwise we were very pleased with it. You can connect to your account on Vonage and see details of your calls, forward the line to another phone, or listen to voice mail over the computer. Also since these voice mails are WAV files they can be stored, such as in client files.

So glad I asked before looking more into this..
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back