LWO

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anybody new of a few sites for learning about the LWO gene, I kind of wondering stuff like is it more like cream genes where one gene gives certain color ect, I do know that 2 of the gene produces lethal white and to test horses but I was just curious about all of those wild markings
default_biggrin.png

thanks in advance

The things you need to know to learn about LWO is that if you breed a LWO+ stallion to a LWO+ mare, and the resulting foal gets a copy of the gene from each parent (making it in effect, homozygous for the LWO gene), the foal WILL die due to an incomplete intestine. There is a 25% chance of this happening. You also have a 50% chance the resulting foal will carry the LWO gene, but will not be lethal, and a 25% chance the foal will not carry the LWO gene.

If a LWO foal is something you don't wish to have happen, (as most responsible breeders wouldn't) then you need to test your horses to ensure that both the mare and stallion do not both carry the gene. It is 100% SAFE to breed a LWO+ to a non-LWO+ horse without worries of a lethal white foal resulting.

As for pattern, you cannot tell just by looking in all cases, if a horse carries LWO, and that is why it is most important to test. Something as simple as a blue eye, a sock, a star or a blaze can mean the horse is LWO+. Just like any other pinto pattern, even a minimally marked horse can throw a loud marked foal, so there is no need to double up on the LWO+ to try to get "more color".

Here is a link to Animal Genetics which offers testing for the frame overo/LWO gene plus information:

http://www.animalgenetics.us/LWO.htm

People that breed pintos and anyone who has minis with Rowdy in their pedigree should be especially careful and test at least one of a breeding pair. The frame over pattern (LWO+) is quite popular but you do NOT increase the chance of getting a frame overo by breeding a frame overo (LWO+) to another frame overo (LWO+); all you do is increase the chance of getting a lethal white foal that will die shortly after birth. Many LWO+ horses - minis especially it seems - do NOT display the typical "frame" pattern but may appear to be solid color, with sometimes (but not always) a white marking somewhere. When in doubt, test.

As others said, mixing several pinto patterns seems to be a good way to get wild colors, so breeding a frame to a tobiano (that is LWO negative), is one way to do this.

Yes, I do know all about testing and that 2 copies equals lethal white, I just want to read more on the actual color part of it for informational reasons. I didnt know that crossing patterns creates more wild colors, interesting. I know that bad stuff about the pintos lol I just want to learn more about patterns like splash and overo! my newest blue eyed solid filly had me on the color path so thought I would ask about some good websites to learn, so many strange colors and patterns out there
default_biggrin.png
all very interesting. Thanks for your help!
default_saludando.gif

I had a falabella stallion that was completely solid with two blue eyes , he carries splash and frame , Ive heard that adding sabino to the mix helps things along if you are looking for patterns

by the way ..you are confusing colours with patterns

"crossing patterns creates more wild colors"

LWO+ does not affect colours it only affects patterns

oh haha ya sorry, I did know that lol just bad wording
default_biggrin.png

I am still trying to figure out my filly
default_wacko.png
both parents are solids, dad is perlino mom is bay and both their parents are solids. I get a buckskin with 2 ice blue eyes, and just a touch of black in mane and tail and on tips of ears, not legs so am trying to figure out what to test for and also to learn about "patterns" lol. thanks for the help

IMG_0001.JPG

DSC00682.JPG

oh and her legs. people said she looked palomino when she was first born, what should I test her for?

IMG_0004.JPG

Well she is definitely silver and because I can see it that means she is also black based. I actually think she might be a smokey silver black.

Look at supaspot's smokey silver black as a youngster-he was registered as a palomino and really looked like one:LINK

I would test your filly for agouti and that will tell you whether or not she is silver buckskin or smokey silver black. She is obviously silver and looking at her sire's pedigree, I wouldn't be surprised if he is homozygous for it. Since he is a double dilute, you know she is heterozygous for cream. You could also test her for red/black if you're curious whether or not she is heterozygous or homozygous for black. Then of course test for LWO just in case
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think shes a silver buckskin and the blue eyes will eventually darken to hazel and then to amber/light brown
biggrin.gif

shes very pretty !

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the blue eyes are there to stay.

It would be better to see her with her foal coat clipped. She looks like she may have white socks with jagged edges so could be tobiano but that wouldnt account for the blue eyes.

My tobi stallion. Tested to carry 1 tobi gene. No body white just the 4 white socks. Im pretty sure he also carries splash as he has a big white blaze etc.

blackatnationslCrop-366x223.jpg

pretty girl! I have always heard that bottom heavy white on a face is a sign of Splash..and I agree those eyes will stay blue..what a cutie!!!!

Is that white on the face or foal fluff??

Splash will cause the blue eyes, the jury is still out as to whether or not Frame actually causes blue eyes or not, but I would test her for sure.

Frame is LWO, they are the same thing, pattern is interesting but so far the only ones testable are Frame and Tobiano- there is a Sabino test but really, it is not worth the trouble.

The more patterns you have in the mix, the louder the pattern on the horse- in theory!

In practise it is more than possible to have every pattern in the world present, all in minimal form, and have a horse with a small amount of white, and possibly not even that!

Any horse used in a Pinto breeding programme that involves the other "half" being LWO should be tested for LWO IMO, as even a solid black, no blue eyes, can actually test positive.

You just can never tell by looking.

That is a very pretty filly you have there, and I think the others are right and she is a Smoky Silver Black.

Lucky you.

I don't see any white socks and the hooves look dark, which also point to lack of socks. I think the "white" on the face is baby fuzz that was not clipped with the rest of the face, and I also think the eyes are blue to stay.

What I am wondering, is has the sire of this foal been color tested to confirm he is in fact a perlino? If he is a maximum white pinto, that would give him blue eyes and pink skin, which may cause him to have been mistaken for a perlino. What colors are his parents??

Mona-i did a little research on the sire and his sire is a silver buckskin and his dam is a palomino, but could carry silver as her sire is silver buckskin (both sire and dam appear solid). The dam to the filly is bay, I believe. The filly doesn't seem to have much of any pinto/overo patterns in her pedigree, though as we know, they can hide well.

Thanks Amanda...that was helpful to know the sire's real color at least. I went to the pedigree thing but couldn't view pics as I am not a member. So yes, those blue eyes really have me puzzled now! They look too blue for just the cream genes.

Hmmm, be sure to post test results of you have her color/pattern tested!

I don't see any white socks and the hooves look dark, which also point to lack of socks. I think the "white" on the face is baby fuzz that was not clipped with the rest of the face, and I also think the eyes are blue to stay.

What I am wondering, is has the sire of this foal been color tested to confirm he is in fact a perlino? If he is a maximum white pinto, that would give him blue eyes and pink skin, which may cause him to have been mistaken for a perlino. What colors are his parents??
I just wanted to add that when I zoomed in on the picture, IMO, the white area was 1/2 clipped and 1/2 fuzz, and I think that it IS a marking. I too think the blue eyes will stay, Splash at work is my guess. How old is baby? I'd want to know if she tests LWO+ too. Very pretty baby BTW!
default_yes.gif

I just wanted to add that when I zoomed in on the picture, IMO, the white area was 1/2 clipped and 1/2 fuzz, and I think that it IS a marking. I too think the blue eyes will stay, Splash at work is my guess. How old is baby? I'd want to know if she tests LWO+ too. Very pretty baby BTW!
default_yes.gif
Desiree, if you look at the full sized photo by clicking on it, there is no need to zoom in, as the photo is HUGE, and you can clearly see the hairs, and they definitely look like coat on the face that was not clipped off liken the rest. Or at least, that is how it appears to me. Take a look here... http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4584

Back