LWO

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys, sorry it took so long to post and thanks for the compliments. there is no white on her anywhere, and I do hope those eyes stay, she is just over 2 months now, I didnt clip her she just shed that way all of a sudden. So I guess that maybe I will just test for everything except for the sabino and then we will know for sure, I didnt even here about smokey blacks until I started in the minis and dont know much about them, thought they were almost black as babies
default_rolleyes.gif
I will pull some hairs this weekend I think and send them off. I didnt test the father and the mare is a blood bay. They didnt say that the studs father was silver bay but maybe you can tell by looking at him or it says somewhere that I didnt look haha. I plan on showing her for a few years then retiring her to the broodmare band, this is my second year of foaling, last year I had one unregistered filly so I am happy to have a filly with my farm name to show.

I thank you for all your help, and I will for sure post the results on here for her when they come in, I cant wait to see what they say. Do you guys all use UC davis.

oh, I should ask as well, she has it seems, pink skin on her muzzle if you can see it on the picture, does that mean anything?

I have a foal almost the exact same colour , she is pinto and she had bright blue eyes which I hoped would stay blue , she is now 6 months old , but see how they have darkened to a hazel colour

298664_2078227670011_1074572782_31936288_4029780_n.jpg

I went to his breeder's website and found his sire. They have him as just buckskin, but he is definitely silver buckskin as well as the sire to his dam. So lots of silver there. Smokey blacks can range from a brownish black to black. When you add silver, it changes. It's one of my favorites
default_smile.png
Dakotas Lil Guten, supaspot's stallion, Jill's Destiny, and quite a few Alvadars Double Destiny get are silver smokey black. They are often advertised as chocolate palominos.

I think that pink on her nose is just the more delicate skin underneath the hair, and since it suddenly fell out, it had not been exposed to the sun so isn;t as darkly pigmented just yet, but I think it will get darker.

If I had to choose between smokey black or buckskin, (with or without silver) I would think she looks more buckskin, and yes, likely silver buckskin.
default_yes.gif

ok, color is just wonderful isnt it, so many things to learn and all so interesting
default_biggrin.png
I cant wait to color test her now! so if a horse carries the silver gene then what colors can his foals be if they recieve the silver gene. I have heard of silver buckskins and silver bays? is it just that their black points are diluted?

here are some examples of horses that carry silver ..a silver black and a silver bay , the one that looks red and white could also be a silver bay , shes the same colour as her dam who was reg as red/white but tested silver bay, the second pic show a silver smoky black

281897_1991535062750_1074572782_31823602_3329565_n.jpg

307725_2172703409578_1606579267_2191032_5341409_n.jpg

ok, so it is like more in the mane and tail that you see the silver? i have seen a few horses that look sorrel with flaxen mane and tail and it says silver bay, do they have to have black points to call then silver bays.

I bought a two year old stud and the breeder thinks that he is silver buckskin and he also has me confused, I was thinking maybe I should test him as well
default_wacko.png
his one set of papers say palomino and the other says perlino, I know he cant be perlino. Should I tes t him for silver and everything as well then?

DSC00919.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
his parents are a buckskin and a palomino.

grandparents... Hunt house farms medalion and BTU. then the other two are a solid grey and lucky four rebels red n rosey a sorrel.

The colt looks Silver Buckskin to me.

Sometimes you cannot see the silver in a Silver Buckskin, but more usually when they are young they look like your boy.

• /monthly_11_2011/post-35203-0-26545500-1321022876_thumb.jpg
So this horse to be smoky black silver, also carries the cream gene, right Supaspot? Does he fade a lot in the summer?

Lizzie

ok, so it is like more in the mane and tail that you see the silver? i have seen a few horses that look sorrel with flaxen mane and tail and it says silver bay, do they have to have black points to call then silver bays.
No they don't.

Here's my silver bay mare:

Tana - july 6, 2008 - perm pic - right.jpg

Yes she was fat at the time.

She tested EE,Aa, no cream, and silver wasn't available at the time, but based on the color she looks, she's silver bay. Oh, and she's probably dun as well, her dam was a buckskin dun.

The colt looks Silver Buckskin to me.

Sometimes you cannot see the silver in a Silver Buckskin, but more usually when they are young they look like your boy.
oh, ok so can I change his color on his papers when I transfer him? will I need to color test him before they will change him?

yes chanda that mares color is what I was talking about. Is there any difference between her and a sorrel by looking at her, or would you have to test?

no he doesnt fade at all ...if anything hes darker in the summer - see above pic

look at the legs of the silver bay in my pic , theyrre not jett black but you can see her legs are not chestnut either

• /monthly_11_2011/post-35203-0-26545500-1321022876_thumb.jpg
So this horse to be smoky black silver, also carries the cream gene, right Supaspot? Does he fade a lot in the summer?

Lizzie

Sometimes it's hard to tell, but they will have the flaxen manes and tails and mine always have 'dirty knees' so to speak. Their color is always just a little bit off because of the silver.

Here is a filly that when she was born I thought she was chestnut pinto. She was very red and had no indicating factors until she aged a bit. She was always more reddish though. The flaxen mane and tail along with the darker 'knees' is what distinguished her from my reds.

P1030710.jpg

This is a terrible picture, but shows where her legs got the silvery/grey color

Venus2.jpg

And her in her winter fuzzies:

DSC00140.jpg

Another silver bay that was born very red and is still pretty reddish compared to other silver bays i've seen:

26c1f70e.jpg

She is also appy so the varnishing contributes to her lighter color. But, notice how her color is just a bit off and how flaxen her mane and tail are? When she was a foal that's how I knew she was silver bay (plus her sire is homozygous black and her dam is homozygous silver). She gets the 'dirty knees' too, but it's harder to see than the other filly's because of her appy.

yes chanda that mares color is what I was talking about. Is there any difference between her and a sorrel by looking at her, or would you have to test?
Well, we thought she was palomino when she was foaled, and registered her as such. Her sire was listed as "white leopard appy" on his papers (after further research, he was a silver black), dam listed as buckskin dun (she is). After showing her picture around and sayiing look at my lovely palomino foal and having more than one person call her silver bay, I had her tested.

While not black, her lower legs do have a silvery cast to them. When clipped, she turns silver/grey. Here's a clipped picture (ignore the hack job):

Tana - April 14, 2007 - who me.jpg You can see on her neck the silver color of the clipped area.

Here's a pic showing her lower legs (including light zebra stripes):

Tana - july 9, 2007 - leg bars.jpg

Here's my sorrel mare clipped:

Showgirl - April 12, 2006 - close-up.jpg You can see the orange color to the clipped hair on her neck, and her flaxen mane and tail (she is a flaxen sorrel, no silver).

Latest posts

Back