LWO & Private Treaty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenasjbug

Reaction score
What does LWO mean?

And if you know this what exactly does a breeder mean by Private Treaty?

Thanks

Danielle

Promise Acres

LaGrange, IN

LWO is referring to a lethal gene that some overo pintos carry. It can be good or bad. It often means that you are guarranteed of getting an overo offspring from the breeding cross. However, if you cross one also carrying the LWO gene, you could have a dead foal. So, in a way it's a "heads up" incase you have a mare with the LWO gene and are looking at crossing their stallion who has it too.

Private Treaty means that they are negotiating a price depending on the situation of the buyer and seller. It does NOT always mean a high price, but sometimes want to work out some details in a contract - often in regard to either showing the animal or to breed-backs.

Hope this all makes sense.

MA

LWO is short for Lethal White Overo.

LWO is the "gene" for frame.

Frame overo´s are often the most beautifull colored overo´s around, but like Miniv said when you (accidentally) cross two LWO carriers they can get a Lethal White foal, (those are usually pure white) they are missing a piece of their intestine and will die quickly after they are born.

Crossing two LWO carriers will give a 25% chance on a LW foal.

That is why (overo)breeders test for the gene and make sure they only cross LWO carriers with non-LWO carriers.

Miniv and Meavey,

Yes it makes sense. I really thought that the LWO meant the lethal white, but it seemed that many people looked at it as being ok. But it's one thing I personally would prefer to avoid.

That makes sense about the private treaty, I guess I always have avoid that "price" thinking it was too expensive. And have never thought to ask, silly me.

Thank you to both of you.

Danielle
smile.gif

I have a LWO in Eclipse my show 2 yr old mare. I have been told to insure that there is no accident in breeding her is always breed her with a solid color stallion. No white on the stallion. I have two solid black stallions available and that is who I plan to breed her with.

Hi,

Just wanted to suggest that just because a horse is solid does not guarentee it doesn't carry the LWO gene. I have seen "solids" who are LW positive.
smile.gif

Liz V.

honeycomb max said:
I have a LWO in Eclipse my show 2 yr old mare.  I have been told to insure that there is no accident in breeding her is always breed her with a solid color stallion.  No white on the stallion.  I have two solid black stallions available and that is who I plan to breed her with.
475442[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back