Lush Spring grass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepipony

Reaction score
Truffle came in last night a little ouchy, not bad, no heat , cant feel anything else wrong and he wasnt depressed. With the recent rains the pastures are exceedingly lush so I have him stalled, dont have a dry lot. He is SO not the happy camper LOL My question is for how long should I do this? Only let him out a few hours a day, for how long then back out? I go on vacation the 26th and he will have to be out 24/7 for 2 weeks after that, no way around it. Any ideas? TIA!

Sounds to me like going away on vacation is not an option for this horse. Is it possible to restrict his access to just a small portion of the pasture ? Can you find sombody to let it in and out in your absence ? One of the joys of horse ownership is the fact that they require care seven days a week. Maybe you can mow the pasture very short before you leave. But I can`t see leaving a horse out on lush green grass at this time of the year 24/7. Thats just asking for trouble.

I've got to agree, he's "ouchy" now, leaving him out for a couple of weeks this month would be a serious risk.

Cattle panels and fence off a smaller section ???

Arrange for his care while you are gone???

We all have to deal with these things, but just turning them out on lush pasture for two weeks wouldn't be an option here.

Anne

once a horse founders on spring grass they tend to founder on any grass from then on. Chances are this horse may never be able to be on a grass pasture again. Putting him back on grass 24/7 this soon will probably guarantee that he will founder for life. I hate to be so brutal but imo there is NOTHING worse then watching a foundered horse try to walk. The pain is unbelievable.
default_sad.png

Tia This is why I never have gotten a vacation. I can't leave my chosen responsbility to anyone else and expect them to carry it out the way I would. Major Bummer too because I could sure use a vacation too.

I would take what is going on (ouchy) already as a very serious warning of grass founder looking for a place to happen and you as a responsible horse owner needs to address this situation. Plush and lush grass is your horse's enemy when introduced way too fast on it. My grass grows like that too and I have to limit it to two hours a day for starters, and then increase their grass time very slowly, but still, in summer, they never stay out there on it more than say 4 hours and then come back onto dry lot for shade and bug relief.

Locking a horse up and throwing away the key is not a good solution, nor is turning him back out on the grass 24-7 un-attended in your absense. When you have him stalled, do provide some hay by the way so he'll have something to do and keep him occupied and make frequent trips to the barn and work/play with him so boredom doesn't set in. If he gets bored, he's going to end up with a multitude of stall vices and that's bad. Over-stalling like that would not be an option for me at all.

I went for years without a dry lot too and there are ways you can work around this with dilligence and work. First, you'll need to tap in to a little bit of your vacation money to fix this.

You have quite a few options here and the first one would be is to cross fence a smaller turn out area and create a dry lot area. Trample it down with a 4 wheeler or mower or something and you can also kill off the grass with vinagar. He will also eat it down to the nubs and keep it tramped if you turn him in on that area daily for a while. And there you go, just rotate him back and forth when you know he's been on that grass way too long.

But then of course, someone has got to pick up the ball when you take off so I am assuming you do have a sitter for him? Surely you are not just leaving him turned out alone for two weeks and someone will be there daily for his care and feeding.

Another option of course is to board him while you are gone at a reputable stable. You have time left to go around and check them out and also be sure to select one that will carry out your wishes and control the grass consumption. Most stables do have dry lots so that should work out.

wwelllllll darn I was hoping that I just needed to get him used to it again, before he goes out more. I live rurally, have no one that I trust to tend to him. Hubby will be home, but he works away 1/2 the week so he's kinda no help LOL The dry 'lot' that I have, will be used for my blind dog while I am gone. Truffles stall has a run, so its 12'x'24', he isnt in a tiny pen. And he has toys LOL I just hate the idea of leaving him in for so long.

Guess my best/safest bet would be to bring him to my Vet tomorrow ( was off today) and see what is going on for sure. Still think its the grass, we went from dry brown nubs to 6"s in a little over a week.

Dont worry about being honest , even if its brutal , would rather that then pussy footin around LOL as for the trip, while i dont have to go, its an expensive gift so will have to figure out something to keep Truffle safe and happy
default_yes.gif
:

Do you live near any other "mini people" who could baby sit him for you?

It sounds to me like his life will be a lot easier if you do make a dry lot at your place for him and that could be where he really should always have turn out.

I have a mare who foundered and it ws not a severe case apparently, however, my vet told me NO GRASS again. She is not to go out on grass ever.

Given the time of year, I really think he could be heading for really a bad situation if left out on grass for any amount of time.

As a really last choice as far as how to help him while you are gone, what about a muzzle? I assume someone's coming by to feed while you are gone? So they could unmuzzle him at feed time. The thing that worries me about muzzles is that horses CAN drink in a muzzle, but that does not mean they WILL.

Good luck.

Oh, I think you and I were typing at the same time.

I think leaving him in his stall w/ the run is a perfect solution for while you are on vacation, and then when you are back, he could go out in the dry lot where the dog will be while you're gone.

He may not like the smaller area as much, but at least he will be safe there
default_smile.png

I wish I lived closer, I would have baby sat him for you.

He may be coming up with an abcess since you've had wet weather too; you never know.

Darn, now you got me thinking of all that mowing I'll be doing this summer..........

Welll Marty, where I live I wouldnt trust these 'horse' people with a goldfish, let alone my 'kid'. The one person I trust and whom I had planned on leaving my guys at, is dealing with a dieing parent and I do not want to burden her.

I have no one, literally, that I can remotely trust to feed while hubby is at work. The dry lot will be available shortly ( bad rain, runoff took out one end) but then its gone again because I will need it for my blind dog. Oyyyy the conundrum I am in!! They are out during the daylight hours all year ( bad weather permitting) and stalled at night, 2 meals. He now has hay, plus toys and I do go mess with him every few hours.

I am worried that this will 'ruin' his turnout time from now on. Will be seein Doc in the a.m. , to make sure this is what I think, and not something else. And here I finally got him looking more like a mini than a bowling ball w/legs
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I've already mowed 3 times, fixin to go again tomorrow.

Come to find out my neighbors have been feeding him everything under the sun! Snickers they said were his favorite thing! OMG!! They hadnt a clue that he shouldnt eat those things, least only in moderation. They have been giving him goodies at least twice a day , and even more on Sunday LOL Was sorry to tell them no more LOL they can give him carrots or apples only LOL he is still in, will be for awhile yet

yikes..i think i'd keep him in his small pen without the grass. Buy a big round bale and flop it in there..that way he has feed at all times but not rich feed ....which would help where yu wont have anyone caring for him. a big water trough helps too.

Went and bought some more cattle panels today so I can divide the lot in half. Had torn all the fencing down to put up these cattle panels for my blind dog. Will just split it now. Truffle will have plenty of shade, a trough and hay to keep himself happy
default_yes.gif
:

Have been taking him for short walks, now he thinks he is BMOC for sure
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Snickers? You have GOT to be kidding? Whatever you do, do NOT ask that neighbor to watch your animals.

Good gravy, the things that some people will do without even thinking of asking the horse's owner...

Back