Lunging

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
I have been trying to lunge a certain horse of mine, but it isn't working out well at all. She either wants to try to bolt away from me if I give her the line, nearly pulling from my hand, or she will turn facing me and stop. Then we end up having to start over. I couldn't get more than 2 full circles out of her without her doing one or the other mentioned. I used a lunging whip, but that didn't help as she still did this. If I didn't use the whip, she just would not go. I tried wheeling the lunging rope behind her to get her started, but it didn't help, she just turned her butt away and continued to face me. So, I got my daughter to come up behind her to get her going, she would then try to bolt away.

(also, if the rope is even a little tight, she will come in towards me, if I leave slack, she tries to bolt).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something else I can try.

I honestly don't know if she has ever been lunged before, but she doesn't act like she knows what to do. She is a 6 yr. old.

Maybe gloves will help hold the line, you could also free lunge her (in an enclosed area) or lunge her in an enclosed areaso if she does bolt and if you happen to drop the lead she won't run away.

When she bolts it sounds like she doesn't know what to do. When she turns to face you thats a good sign.

When you lunge a horse your telling them that your the leader and your on the top, there below you. so you make her go in a circle, driving her forward with your body language. When she stops and turns toward you she's squaring up with you saying that she respects that your the leader and she will do what you want her to do.

Maybe you could have someone walk on the outside holding her halter or a lead and halp her fourm a circle. Then try to trot.

When your walking give her the line and relax. When you trot have there be some tension in the line and it should be up higher then the walk. When she't trotting it sound like you need to do some more telling. give stronger cues with your body language. Your right shoulder (if your going to the left) should turned in towards her and your left shoulder should come back. I don't really know how to explain it but i hope i helped some.

always use gloves while lunging. If lunging is new to a horse I prefer to lunge them in a round penn so they can have some support from the fence.

Remind the triangle you have to make while lunging. With the line and youre whip as the long sides, you as the point, and the horse as the short line.

If you stay behind the soulder the horse should be able to turn and face you.

Maybe double lunging can help you?

I was always told it takes practice. Eventually they should get the hang of it. I've always gotten older horses and they knew how to lunge though. But here is why I always lunge with gloves. These are my husbands mechanical gloves that he uses when lunging. They are heat rated and all that goes with the good mechanical gloves.

100_1361.jpg

We were helping a friend work with her pony who was bolting while lunging. He was getting free from her because he was so strong so my 6'7" 260lb husband try. My husband has lunged hundreds of times, and generally 16h+ huge horses. Well this little pony was going fine for a circle or two, and then he started to bolt. Hubby assumed the stance, legs apart low to the ground, hands low and lunge line behind his body but not wrapped by any means. Well he stopped the first bolt no problem. We were thinking good we finially got his number. Well he tried to bolt again, only this pony got really smart and when hubby took the stance the pony stopped for a split moment and then with all his might took off again. He picked my husband off of the ground and about 4ft in the air. He did a little flip so that he could tuck and roll when he hit the ground. We all asked him why he didn't let go...he said he did, but the pony was to quick. By the time the message got from his brain to his hand he was airborne. He did get a small burn on his finger where the bigger hole is, but not bad at all. Everyone was stunned that a small pony had so much power, never under estimate the power of the small guys.

But ALWAYS wear gloves while lunging!

Sounds to me like she is confused and doesn't know what you want. I always start mine by having them walk around me on a lead at arms length. I literally lead them in a small circle. When they do that in a relaxed way I give them a bit more line until they are going comfortably around me at at least 2 feet out. (stay at a walk for this BTW) then I get the lunge line and start encouraging greater distances and eventually more speed. With the ones who have real difficulty working at a distance (and when I get lucky and can find a helper ;) ) I have someone on the outside of the horse lead them in the circle I want the horse to be on. They can gradually increase the distance and before they leave for good I will have them walk with out a lead beside the horse. Once the horse can walk a circle at the end of the line it is much easier to increase the speed to a trot. I also have a round pen for free lunging which is far easier to teach.

Like the pthers that have posted.... I would suggest starting in a round pen. This should be a natural motion at this point using the lunge line. I would do this for about 1 week, then progress to try it outside the pen. Good luck, it can be frustrating.

Baydreamfarms--I can sympathize with your hubby, only in my case it was a 16.2 hh Morgan that had me airborne. I knew this horse was likely to pull this stunt, but I said that in the corral (60'x120') he would be okay & wouldn't get away, so I just put on the nylon cavesson. It was in the barn; the leather one was at the house. Well, one circle and the horse played his trick, flipped his nose to the outside & then took off out of the circle--fired me right up into the air & propelled me forward--by the time I could let go I'd done a face plant in the dirt. I had dirt everywhere--in my mouth, down my shirt (my bra was full!), in my eyes. I picked myself up, went to the house & got the leather cavesson which is one of the good ones, witht he metal over the leather w/padding noseband. Horse's second try didn't go so well for him--that time it was all my way, and after that he didn't try it again.

As to the original question, I wonder how much longe line you are giving the horse at this point? I would start out with just a short bit of line. If you don't have a round pen, is there a corner of the corral where you could start, so that you have a barrier on two sides? Even that much helps tremendously. Keeping your line short, walk the horse around in a circle, then step away a little bit, so that the horse is circling bigger than you are. You can drop back a little bit, more toward the horse's hip, so that you are sort of "driving" her forward. Just make sure that you are far enough away that if she tries to get silly & kicks out she won't connect with you! You will be "pushing" the horse forward because you are just the bit towards her rear, and yet you'll have the line short enough that you can still control her if she tries to take off. You can use the whip to help keep her moving, and you can use the whip, pointed at her shoulder or even her neck, to keep her out on the small circle if she tries to drift in or turn toward you. Some horses take to it really quick; others are a little more slow & take a bit more time & effort, and yes, it can be very frustrating with some of them! Keep the circle small until you can get her to walk around steadily--both directions--then you can give her a bit more line. Just take it slow & progress gradually, and she will get it.

Thank you all for the much appreciated advice!

Wow... those gloves, better the gloves than the hands! I agree 100% about using them.

Unfortunatly, I don't have anywhere but an open area for lungeing at this time. The field fenced area is not worthy for any sort of ground work at this time. My husband is in the slow process of building an arena for our use. I will have that to use, unless I can come up with finances to purchase portable round pen panels for temporary use. Until then, just do with what I have.

This horse is a bit pushy, so lungeing is an important part of my plan with her. I am even having to teach her to walk on a lead rope with respect. She can outwalk anyone without effort... and she knows it. She is a bit testy in the saddle as well, so I am really working on the respect. Once I get her to respect, she is going to be 1 awesome riding horse!

I am going to try having my daughter walk her on the outside with a leadrope attached as mentioned. This sounds like it could help a great deal. With this, maybe she can figure out what is being asked of her.

I was not having any luck getting her to go at a walk as she would insist on getting her nose to the ground and stopping. When I encouraged with the lunge whip, she wanted to run and then attempt to bolt, or turn in towards me. I will try shortening up on the line. I wasn't giving quite 1/2 the line. When I would start her, I started short, but she would insist on crowding me. The lunge wip didn't mean much to her trying to make her keep her distance. When she got the idea of the lunge whip, then she wanted to pull away too hard, and we would have to start all over. I was totally wore out after about 15 mins. of it all and not sure if I made any progress.

****Quoted by Reignmaker:

Sounds to me like she is confused and doesn't know what you want. I always start mine by having them walk around me on a lead at arms length. I literally lead them in a small circle. When they do that in a relaxed way I give them a bit more line until they are going comfortably around me at at least 2 feet out. (stay at a walk for this BTW) then I get the lunge line and start encouraging greater distances and eventually more speed. With the ones who have real difficulty working at a distance (and when I get lucky and can find a helper ;) ) I have someone on the outside of the horse lead them in the circle I want the horse to be on. They can gradually increase the distance and before they leave for good I will have them walk with out a lead beside the horse. Once the horse can walk a circle at the end of the line it is much easier to increase the speed to a trot. I also have a round pen for free lunging which is far easier to teach

Thank you.... I am going to try this process out and keep at it and see if she catches on. She is a 6yo ****

I'm glad you found that helpful. Until recently I didn't have access to a round pen either so I know where you are coming from. Don't worry about her age, sometimes that can work in your favour rather than against you and she WILL catch on. Just take it slow, there is no hurry to get her to pick up speed. When she walks off calmly and promptly and whoas well she will be ready to try a trot.
default_smile.png
Let us know how you make out.

Yup, gloves. I was longeing a young Dutch stallion at a show one time. I took him to the ring with a NYLON longe line. I was NOT wearing gloves. He decided to bolt and my hand got sliced open -I wasn't gonna let a stallion run loose at a show in Palm Beach with literally hundreds of mares around-! Fun, fun, fun. I spent the next few weeks wrapping my hand with polysporin, gauze, and vetwrap. At about the same time I was longeing a very big 5 year old 17.2h Oldenberg gelding. This time I had gloves -thank God-. He decided to bolt. I planted my heels in the ground and he kept galoping around me. Eventually I PULLED HIM OVER! He got up and shook his head as if to say, "Well...how in the heck did YOU do that". Guess I'm stronger than I look
default_wink.png
. He behaved after that LOL.

If you've got someone to help you, I always start longeing with two people. Have someone walk the horse on the line around you. Use voice commands -whoa, walk, trot, etc.-. The horse will start to understand quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll do that for you... keeping you posted of the progress. :)

Matt.... I cringed when I read of your pain! YOUCH! And then to have to finish the show with that as well. Bet that horxse learned a valuable lesson as did you though
default_wink.png

I'll do that for you... keeping you posted of the progress. :)

Matt.... I cringed when I read of your pain! YOUCH! And then to have to finish the show with that as well. Bet that horxse learned a valuable lesson as did you though
default_wink.png

Cool.

I cringe too. And yes, I learned my lesson
default_wink.png

I was looking for some lungeing resources when I found this thread...I know this was from two years ago but it's something that may come in handy to someone! I might have to use it for some of my regular sized horses!

I learned a trick in my Horse Handling & Training Class... When lungeing a headstrong horse, or a horse that likes to pull on the lunge line, use a chain, and string it from the ring under the horse's chin, through the side ring on the halter, OVER the nose band (don't string the chain so it has DIRECT contact with the nose/face of the horse) then string the chain through the ring on the other side of the nose, through the ring under the horse's chin, and secure the two loose ends to your lunge line. This way, when you lunge the horse and he pulls, the chain will bump him and make it uncomfortable (only when he pulls - so when he does not pull, the chain does not put any pressure on the horse's face). This should solve your problem with the colt. The chain should be long enough to go through the halter's rings, and then 2-3 more inches of extra chain.

Hope this helps someone
default_smile.png

I was always told it takes practice. Eventually they should get the hang of it. I've always gotten older horses and they knew how to lunge though. But here is why I always lunge with gloves. These are my husbands mechanical gloves that he uses when lunging. They are heat rated and all that goes with the good mechanical gloves.

100_1361.jpg

We were helping a friend work with her pony who was bolting while lunging. He was getting free from her because he was so strong so my 6'7" 260lb husband try. My husband has lunged hundreds of times, and generally 16h+ huge horses. Well this little pony was going fine for a circle or two, and then he started to bolt. Hubby assumed the stance, legs apart low to the ground, hands low and lunge line behind his body but not wrapped by any means. Well he stopped the first bolt no problem. We were thinking good we finially got his number. Well he tried to bolt again, only this pony got really smart and when hubby took the stance the pony stopped for a split moment and then with all his might took off again. He picked my husband off of the ground and about 4ft in the air. He did a little flip so that he could tuck and roll when he hit the ground. We all asked him why he didn't let go...he said he did, but the pony was to quick. By the time the message got from his brain to his hand he was airborne. He did get a small burn on his finger where the bigger hole is, but not bad at all. Everyone was stunned that a small pony had so much power, never under estimate the power of the small guys.

But ALWAYS wear gloves while lunging!

I'm sorry but I am against using chains in cases like this. IMO when the horse is facing you thats better then giving you 2 heels so I wouldn't punish him for it. It just sounds like the horse is showing lack of respect and is showing confusion. I would do other things like pivioting on the hind end and front end and do some backing before I start lounging. It sounded like this horse could have used more groundwork before starting on this paticular exercise. Of course if you have a roundpen I would do that first thing but some people just don't have one available.

When lungeing a headstrong horse, or a horse that likes to pull on the lunge line, use a chain, and string it from the ring under the horse's chin, through the side ring on the halter, OVER the nose band (don't string the chain so it has DIRECT contact with the nose/face of the horse) then string the chain through the ring on the other side of the nose, through the ring under the horse's chin, and secure the two loose ends to your lunge line.
When lungeing a headstrong horse, or a horse that likes to pull on the lunge line, I would ask, "How well does this horse lead?" If you can't lead it decently on a loose line with it reacting to your body language (i.e. when I stop the horse stops, when I walk the horse walks, etc.), the horse isn't going to lunge well either. Back up and work on leading and stopping before you move forward with lungeing. Showmanship does wonders for a horse's manners, even if you never show it in Showmanship.
default_yes.gif

Myrna

Did a search for lunging and found this thread. I'm working on teaching my mare to lunge and it's been really helpful!

Not to hi-jack your thread, but I have a very funny story concerning my husband, his smug atitude and a 29" stallion. Back in the day before we had a round pen, now we have two, one indoor and one outdoor, anyway, my husband used to do farrier work and we raised and bred arabs, and he worked for an arab trainer, also helped a friend of ours with his quarter horses. When we got into minis he bought a very pretty black roan stallion with blue eyes, he was only 29" tall, back in the day everyone was looking for them to be small. We didn't have a round pen for minis and this guy looked like abeach ball he was so fat and round. Hubby had him in a half acre grass paddock and I said take him out of the grass paddock and put him in a stall, then work him everyday, no hubby wanted him to stay in the grass and would groom him there every day and spend time with him gaining his trust. This is were the funny story begins. Hubby decided he was going to teach this little guy to lunge in the grass paddock. I asked him if he wanted help, and we could teach him like we did the arabs. Hubby says if I can't handle something this little I need to give up. I went in the house and peeked out the window, stayed behind the curtain, and soon my girls were watching too. Hubby put the lunge line on the halter and cracked the whip and told this little guy to walk, well the little guy took off at a full gallop and hubby held his ground for a few minutes, then the little guy stopped, looked at hubby, hubby let his guard down, mistake, the little guy took off again and hubby landed on his tush, little horse was still running around him and hubby was literly sitting on the ground being drug around in circles. The girls and I were laughing so hard, it's a good thing he wasn't hurt cause we wouldn't have been any help. He will never live it down.

Latest posts

Back