Lunge line class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilightranch

Reaction score
Just curious why they don't offer a lunge line class for minis like they do for Quarters paints ect.....
default_smile.png

I did a lunge line class at an open show once. Was interesting to say the least. We were the only one in the class but I think the judge thought it was really cute!

Because ALOT of people in the Miniature Horse world believe not to work a yearling in such stress like that, and the only lunge line class I have seen is for yearlings. I like to lunge my horses, and yes even my yearlings. I don't use lunging to give them a work out but they do have to learn how to do it. If they had some sort of class like that I would enter it. But it won't be very popular I'm afraid.

I disagree with having the class for full-sized yearlings for the same reason JMS mentions. For the big horse that circle is even smaller and more stressful on the joints than it is for a mini! It would be nice to have a larger variety of fun classes for young horses though.

My yearling learned to free-lunge very easily and I was amused to see that at his first show he got so excited he decided it would be fun to go out to the end of the lead and start circling me on voice commands (hence "inventing" lunging as far as he was concerned). I don't intentionally lunge a horse that young but it won't hurt him to do it every now and then of his own accord. I just make sure he's not putting a lot of pressure on the lead and being torqued around and let him have fun. It's good skills practice for later!

Leia

Latest posts

Back