Lucy's tumor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisam

Reaction score
One of my minis, Lucy, has a squamous cell carcinoma. She goes to the clinic tonight, and has surgery in the morning. It's on her vulva (ouch). She'll be there for five days. Has anyone else had a horse with this? My vet said that once it's removed the prognosis is very good.

I have not had a horse with this condition but wanted to say I wish the best for you and Lucy! Please let us know how it goes as I'm sure others, myself included, would like to learn from your experience.

Hopefully others who have experience will chime in.

Several years ago I had a mare with a tumor in the same place.Vet suggested an ointment applied daily with rubber glove.I think it was some kind of chemotherapy in the ointment.It worked and tumor never came back.I avoided surgery and the mare is still healthy to this day.She is a gray mare.

Lucy is a chestnut. She's 26 years old. I will be happy with any extra time she gets!

Her surgery was done with local anesthesia while she was standing tranquilized. It took a bit over 2 hours, since there were actually 2 large tumors and several small ones. She stays at the clinic a few more days so they can sedate her to clean the area daily. After she gets home I will be applying the chemotherapy ointment.

She will be sad when she gets back, though--one of her best buddies was euthanized yesterday. Susie had bladder stones for several years and yesterday her liver failed.

Oh no! I'm SO sorry you lost a loved one yesterday!
default_sad.png

I'm glad her surgery went well! When Lucy comes home please tell her what happened to her friend. They understand a lot. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to both you & Lucy on your loss.

I'm so sorry about Lucys friend and pray Lucy makes a full recovery.

What a loving mom they both have in you.
default_yes.gif

(((HUGS)))) to you and Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your kind words. The holes they leave in your heart when they pass gets filled up with all the wonderful memories.

Lucy had a hard time yesterday--she didn't eat and pass any manure. She needed some extra fluids to get her going again, and she's doing better today.

So very sorry that you lost Lucy's friend, Susie, I hope Lucy wont miss her too much when she comes home.

I think Lucy's digestion will probably recover better once she returns home - she must be feeling pretty stressed what with being in a strange place/having 'proceedures'/not having her loving family around her etc.

Sending good wishes and prayers for her speedy recovery.
default_yes.gif

I lost my Gracie last year to squamous cell carcinoma. It was in her nasal cavity and the prognosis was not good. I kept her alive and comfortable as long as possible, and then had to let her go. If you do a search by my name, you'll find the thread, though I did not post pictures of her at the advanced stages.
default_no.gif
She was also a gray.

Please keep us posted.

Liz N.

So sorry about Lucy's friend. Praying that Lucy makes a full recovery and you two have a lot more time together.

The vet called with bad news--Lucy has developed enteritis. She's treating it aggressively and will call me later, but because of her age she may not recover.

I had a POA gelding with this many years ago. It was on his "privates". What made me realize something was wrong was that he would come stand in front of me to pee, which was very unusal, he would normally quit peeing if he knew you could see him! He was straining hard and not much was coming out. Surgery was done to remove the tumor and part of his "privates". A few days after he came home, I got a call from the vet school telling me that the tumor had spread to his lymph nodes and other parts of his body, and there was nothing else that could be done. He had to be put down a little less than a year after the tumor was discovered. He was only 13 years old.
default_sad.png
The vet said this type of tumor is more common in horses with pink skin, such as strawberry roans, which he was.

I hope your mare's tumor was found early and all of it can be removed. Good luck and God bless!
default_pray.gif

I am sad to say Lucy did not recover. She was humanely euthanized last night. This has been a heartbreaking week for me.

I'm so very sorry to hear of Lucy' passing - how heartbreaking for you.

Sending ((((HUGS)))) and my sincere sympathy.

I am so, so sorry for your loss...
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
It's heartbreaking, I know.
default_no.gif
:No-Sad

Liz N.

OH NO!!! I'm so sorry you also lost Lucy!
default_crybaby.gif

My heart aches for you, losing both of your girls like that. {{{{Hugs}}}}

They are together now forever.

Oh so sorry to hear you lost both ponies..such a sad time for you..sending {{{HUGS}}} and prayers that you think of the good times..treasure your wonderfull memories together and your emptiness heals very soon

Latest posts

Back