Lost our first foal of 2008

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry about the loss of your colt - but when you say he was three weeks early - what day of gestation was he at?
He was at 307 days. She was hand bred and 2007 foal was may 8. this foal was fully developed and had been up and moving as I found his tracks away from where he birthed at. Looks like he got cold, laid down and got stuck in a muddy area during the night. Poco is usually about 330 days give or take. He had plenty of meat and hair on him too. S-o-o-o lesson learned...I will not even second guess again.

I'm so very sorry for your loss - how sad! I do appreciate your posting, my mare is around that many days along and it gives that added nudge to watch her carefully.

I'm really sorry you and your mare had to go through this.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Glad your mare is OK. I know the wait you have put in for this special breeding has come to a painful end. I feel it so in my heart for you.

I'm so sorry to read this tonight. What a shame.

Joyce

default_no.gif
Oh no, I am soooo very sorry for your loss.

He was at 307 days. She was hand bred and 2007 foal was may 8. this foal was fully developed and had been up and moving as I found his tracks away from where he birthed at. Looks like he got cold, laid down and got stuck in a muddy area during the night. Poco is usually about 330 days give or take. He had plenty of meat and hair on him too. S-o-o-o lesson learned...I will not even second guess again.
hug2.gif

Just remember the first rule of foaling.... the most predictable thing about a mare is her unpredictability. Babies have arrived here fully cooked and raring to go at 296 days. And yet some have seemed a bit premature at 333 days. I start watching in earnest at 300 days for most of the mares here. The foal decides when he is ready - not the calendar.

And the mare on camera here tonight is at 317 days...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your little colt. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tammie~

Thx guys for the concern. it is my fault for not paying more attention. With trying to deal with the insurance and house and trying to get a roof on before the nx rains well I was not being as observant as I usually do pay more attention then this but screwed up and it cost the little guy his life...so learn from my mistakes and pay attention to your mares (even just a little change) can spell catastrophe!
default_frusty.gif
We buried him this morning nx to Chasey-dog so he will be watching over him now

Latest posts

Back