lost a foal last night

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make A Wish Miniatures

Reaction score
I lost a filly last night ,this is the second for this season. The first was a filly born at 283 days and just not ready. The mare last night was at 315 days ,she had a decent bag but not hard and tight I thought she probably had another week to go. Delight was laying down a little before 5 pm which is not normal for her ,I went over to check her,she got up and started following me around whinnying,she lay down again,so I put her in her stall and just watched her. It was not colic but she was very uncomfortable. She was restless and had that glazed look in her eyes. I watched her for a while and thought ,this is either a red bag or a twisted cord. When she was not progressing I called the vet ,He told me give her some Banamine and if she is not better in 30 or 40 minutes he would come by. He called me back,there was no change so he came over to check her. The foal was positioned badly with the head turned ,front legs going in different directions and also a hip lock. The vet had to use chains and still could not get the foal out. He ended up doing a fetotomy. The cord was very twisted ,so there was really nothing that could have been done.The poor mare was in so much pain even after being heavily sedated. Thank goodness she is still alive and doing well. Losing a foal is hard but at that point you just have to try to save the mare. With four mares due to foal in the next month I am extremely worried. This is what I hate about foaling season. I pray that my other mares foal with no problems.

So sorry for your loss! Take comfort that you were able to save Delight. Prayers for Delight's healing and that the rest of your mares foal without incident.

I am so sorry. How devastating! Prayers for you your mare and for the rest of foaling season. Happy healthy colorful babies.

I'm so sorry you lost your foal but glad your mare is doing well. Geez, it sure is scary with all that can and often times does go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know how sorry I am about "Delight" and the unfortunate circumstances....

I can still hear her whinnying to you while we where on the phone with one another. I also know that this was one of those circumstances that's completely out of your control. Your an excellent breeder that goes out of her way every-time to make certain that your always there to assist every mare during foaling season. So don't beat yourself up about it. You've given up your life for your horses. Literally....

I think that's one of the reasons why were such good friends. Because we share that same passion.... SMILE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss,

thinking of you and your mare.
default_no.gif

I am so sorry - this hurts so badly. I hope your mare is going to be OK.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
I'm glad you were able to save the mare and I hope she recovers fully. I pray the rest of your foaling seasong is successful!

It never gets any easier to lose one, no matter how long you have done this. So glad the mare survived it - could easily have gone wrong for her too as you know. You are due now for the rest of the season to be easy!

Jan

Bronagh,

I am so sorry...you DO know how I feel. I have lost both mare and foal before so I am so happy to have my mare here seeming to be recovering just fine. I will pray for you as you await your next foals. I hope that all goes smoothly.

This is the tough part of what we do, but when those healthy beautiful foals do arrive, it makes the sad memories fade.

I will be waiting to hear some GOOD news from Texas soon!

Bronagh -

I'm so sorry to hear about your foal. I'm so glad, though, that you were there when you mare became distressed. I'm praying that the mare recovers quickly and the rest of your foals come easily and are healthy.

I hope to see you soon!

I lost a filly last night ,this is the second for this season. The first was a filly born at 283 days and just not ready. The mare last night was at 315 days ,she had a decent bag but not hard and tight I thought she probably had another week to go. Delight was laying down a little before 5 pm which is not normal for her ,I went over to check her,she got up and started following me around whinnying,she lay down again,so I put her in her stall and just watched her. It was not colic but she was very uncomfortable. She was restless and had that glazed look in her eyes. I watched her for a while and thought ,this is either a red bag or a twisted cord. When she was not progressing I called the vet ,He told me give her some Banamine and if she is not better in 30 or 40 minutes he would come by. He called me back,there was no change so he came over to check her. The foal was positioned badly with the head turned ,front legs going in different directions and also a hip lock. The vet had to use chains and still could not get the foal out. He ended up doing a fetotomy. The cord was very twisted ,so there was really nothing that could have been done.The poor mare was in so much pain even after being heavily sedated. Thank goodness she is still alive and doing well. Losing a foal is hard but at that point you just have to try to save the mare. With four mares due to foal in the next month I am extremely worried. This is what I hate about foaling season. I pray that my other mares foal with no problems.
I am so sorry for your loss, may everything else go well for you!

Oh, thank God your mare made it. I'm so sorry about your foal. How heartbreaking. I'll pray your other mares foal without incident.

Back