Looking to buy a new mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallynoeBaby

Reaction score
Hi everyone im hoping to purchase a new member for my small family although i have bought a mini horse before. I got my mare bought for me as a present. So does anyone know what to look for and what not to look for? How do you know what to look for? All information is welcome.

Thanks Muiread

Hi welcome to the group.

I am pretty new to minis and my best advice for you would be to look around on here. There are a ton a pictures to look at and then you can get an idea of what you like and what you don't like. There is the the sales pages on here too. You can post what you are looking for and even the price you are willing to spend and people will get back to you. That is how I found one of my boys and I am so happy with him. Everyone was very helpful and I was flooded with replies.

You can also check out the breeders websites. Just look around a lot. If you are looking for show potential I can't help you much there. Being so novice myself, I am picking up little things here and there. Like what is in style and that kind of thing.

Just do a lot of shopping around to make sure that what you get is what you want.

Hope that helps a litte bit. I am sure others will have more suggestions.

Also being new to minis, and having just purchased ours recently, I can tell you it is VERY important to know what you want before buying. When you go to look at one for possible purchase, look at everything! Check feet, teeth, and if you are buying gelding, even check underneath. Watch behavior around people, and other horses. I've asked to take the mini for a walk so I can walk them past different things to see how they react. I can also be alone with them to judge tempermant and personality. Also, touch them all over, do they let you or pull away. Lift their feet too.

I purchased ours just for fun, and for pulling a cart. I also can't speak for show horses, but there are many photos and wonderful helpful people here who can.

Have a great time selecting a new mini.........it is fun!

hi muried, yes ive got advise, luckily i bought a fluke when i purchased my first mini, thank godness, WHEN I WENT TO BUY I DIDNT LOOK AT THE TEETH THE CONFIRMATION OR ANYTHING, I JUST BOUGHT WHAT I LIKED THE LOOK OF
default_unsure.png
: my advise is, buy somthing that has ALREADY BEEN shown,
default_firstprize.gif
: there are brilliant breeders living beside you at the moment, that are in the show circle so they will know what you need, :xreiter: make sure it has no confirmational faults as you want to buy the best for your money, let me know when your ready and ill guide you to the best breeders available, are you looking for a colt or filly :bgrin OH I LOVE SHOPPING LOL :aktion033:i actually know wheres theres a nice colt for sale

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several places to go for information that are very helpful including this forum. I would like to direct you to the Miniature Horse Club of Ontario website www.mhco.ca that has lots of articles of interest to new Mini owners and tons of pictures as well as a list of breeders. Very helpful site!

The following is an article I recently wrote for first time Miniature shoppers for a local equestrian newspaper, The Rider. Hope it helps!

BUYING YOUR FIRST MINI

There are many reasons to purchase a Mini. Perhaps you have reached an age where you no longer feel comfortable dealing with a full size equine and yet you don’t want to live without one. Maybe you have never had a horse but have always wanted one yet their size intimidates you. Maybe you are stressed out from work and just need a stress free pastime. Or you may have a small child or physically or mentally challenged individual you would like to see involved with horses but are afraid they may be injured by a large horse. A Mini is the ideal solution. With their quiet, gentle and versatile nature they make ideal companions as well as therapeutic animals and they are great stress relievers!

Whatever the reason for wanting a Mini you would be well advised to do some research and educate yourself on their care and upkeep before purchasing one from an established and reliable breeder. Although small, they are horses, and have all the same requirements as a full sized horse just in smaller quantities with some exceptions regarding deworming and healthcare. There are plenty of good resources out there in the form of books, internet forums and websites including the Miniature Horse Club of Ontario (MHCO) website at www.mhco.ca with many articles on Miniature Horse health, feeding, showing and care from which you can gather information.

Your first decision should be: For what purpose do I want this animal? Miniatures can be anything from a back yard pet just to soothe your soul to a fun and lively companion to a magnificent show horse that can do it all from showing at halter or in-hand performance to driving or riding for the small child. You should expect to pay accordingly – the show horse is going to cost a lot more than the back yard pet.

Once you have decided the purpose of your Mini you need to think about where and how you will keep it. The back yard pet has few requirements other than a small area to exercise in and some type of shelter from inclement weather. A one acre lot is sufficient for a couple Minis to romp in. You will need to check with your local ordinances as to legality if you desire to keep a Miniature Horse in your backyard. A three sided run-in shed or single stall barn of at least six by six feet is suitable for your pet. He will require little more than good quality hay in the way of feed. The show horse is going to require a little bit more in the way of housing and care as you will need a good sized indoor stall preferably with a grooming and bath area as well as an exercise pen and specialized feeds for keeping him fit to show. Another alternative to keeping a horse on your own property is to board your Mini at a local stable. Boarding fees vary from area to area and according to services and amenities provided such as daily turnout or indoor arenas.

There are also regular veterinary costs such as for deworming and vaccinations as well as farrier costs to take into consideration. These fees too can vary from area to area so you should check with your local professionals. Vaccinations are an annual cost and hoof trimming and deworming, depending on your individual program, needs to be done approximately every eight weeks.

Now that you have decided that you would like and can afford to own a Miniature Horse you need to find the right one for you. What sex do you want? I don’t recommend a stallion for a novice owner at all. They just aren’t a suitable choice at any age. A gelding or neutered male would be my first choice for a novice or young owner. Colts or young stallions can be purchased for a very reasonable price and then gelded which is not expensive – check with your vet. A mare would be my distant second choice as they can have issues with seasonal hormonal changes. It seems that the majority of people that buy a Mini do so with the thought of having a tiny baby in the future. Breeding with all its trials and tribulations is not for the uninitiated or novice horse owner and is best left to experienced people. If you truly want to experience the joy of birth find a breeder who will let you stay up all night and watch one of her mares foaling or view it on video. Novice buyers also tend to want a baby horse or foal. This too is not the best idea. An older, already trained individual would be the best place to start. It doesn’t always work out well when neither of you know much. Once your older, well trained horse has taught you the ropes of horse ownership you can look for a younger horse and perhaps pass your well trained teacher along to another novice.

If you are interested in showing your horse I advise you to attend several Miniature Horse shows in the area previous to your purchase. That way you will know the types of classes available and it will help you decide what type of horse you would like to purchase. The CNE is holding a Miniature Horse show on August 26th of this year beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing all day. There are also many Fairs holding Miniature Horse shows including 2 American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR) sanctioned shows in Mount Forest as well as Drayton. Check out the Calendar of Events on the MHCO website.

To purchase your Miniature Horse you have several options. There are Miniature Horse auction sales, random classified ads in various types of publications such as The Rider, internet websites and local breeders. Internet horse shopping is not for the novice as you cannot possibly get to know the horse over the internet. Neither do I recommend auction sales for a novice shopper where you quite often get what you pay for and sometimes you don’t – rarely will you find a bargain. The method I recommend most is to visit with a local breeder. Many of these in Ontario can be found on the MHCO website under the Breeders Listings. When visiting a local breeder you can explain your requirements and get to know the horse on a personal basis before purchasing. You are also a lot more likely to get good after-purchase assistance from a breeder which you will no doubt find to be very useful. If you have a knowledgeable horse person as a friend take them with you to help you look. One further option is to hire a trainer to give you lessons with your new horse once you buy him and to help you shop for the right one. They usually get ten percent of the horses’ price as a finders fee but if you are taking lessons from them before and/or after your purchase they may do it for less. Either way it is money well spent as it ensures that you get the right horse from the start.

Good luck and happy times with your new Miniature Horse!

Some tips on buying a Minis

Teeth

Straight legs & good action when trotting

No hernias

Tiny ears and pointed not overly big

Temperment

Size / should look like a nice well built horse two types (stocky or fine boned)

Colour is always nice for resale

Always vet checked for being sound

Good Luck and WELCOME To the Forum :aktion033: :aktion033:

What I look for in a mini has really changed since I got my first one in 1999. However, for me the "big three" as a basic have always been:

* good bite

* straight legs

* good feet

That's what I brought with me from my big horse experience and is a good starting point.

Thanks everyone i just read through all of the replies and they are helpful. I will bear that in mind and see. Cost is another worry for me as i am a student money is short but maybe if i find the right horse and it costs ok i could have a new contender for next year. Thanks again

Ballynoe baby , you often pay peanuts you get monkeys !!

I'm getting colt prices now the same of what I bought my foundation brood mare for 8 years ago. She was worth every bit of it ! I have bought a couple of for the same cost of one of my 'sourced' mini's but they are the only ones still with me now, years on.

Check out sites like MHCGB they have a for sales page, PM me breeders will often say I may sell this or that, but NOT advertise them. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Latest posts

Back