Looking for pics of this color...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I don't even know if such a thing exists, or if it does what the correct color term is, but I am wondering if anyone out there has any pics of a silver smokey black? What I mean, is a smokey black with the silver gene. If you have a "silver smokey black", will you please post pics of it here in this thread? I would really like to see what they might look like.

One of my foals born the other day, was born looking very black. Then she looked VERY dark chocolate in color. After she dried, she looks a silvery lighter colored chocolate. She also has that funny color of eye, like would be seen in a smokey black.

I believe her dam is a chocolate silver dapple pinto. She is definately silver, and the spots look brownish. The foal's sire, is a buckskin roan.

I assumed the foal was a silver dapple...a chocoalte dapple like her dam, because she had the lighter pigment, (not pink, but kind of a chocolate color too), so I always put that with being red based for some reason. I guess because I have only seen it in red based foals. Anyway, the foals mane and tail seem to look too deep grey to end up white like the mare. Also, the foal has lighter tan colors to her too. Can anyone help identify this color, or is my only hope getting her color tested? Would I just test for cream, or agouti too, or ???

Sorry for so many pics, and for the size of the last few, but I wanted to show all the color changes I have seen over the last 2 days since she was born. They are all in order from birth on through to this morning.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer on what the color is on this filly.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mona,

Sorry, can't help with the color question, but... Just had to say, what a little darling you have there.
default_wub.png
:

Any chance that champagne could be working on her color? Just a thought.

My first guess was that your filly is a smokey black, but she is lighter than our filly Summer was at birth--and we know Summer is a smokey black because her sire is a cremello. I guess I'm puzzled as to why you refer to chocolate silver as being red based--I've always thought that chocolate was just an extra word to describe a slightly different shade of silver dapple, still black based or the silver wouldn't show on it & you would have liver chestnut?

I have a gelding that I believe is smokey silver dapple. At birth his breeder thought he was palomino but within a month his golden color had disappeared & he was just an off-white color, and ended up being registered as "grey"...not possibly his true color because his dam is a smokey black & his sire is a red-based sabino that has faded out to look almost grey. This was him at the age of 3 months:

Silverfuzzy.jpg

And this is him the spring of his yearling year:

Silver03_1_4x6.jpg

Since his 2 year old year he sheds out in the spring a bit darker than he is in this yearling photo, then he lightens up a bit over the summer. He is definitely a silver dapple, but I believe that he inherited his mother's cream gene, and that accounts for the very washed out shade of silver dapple. You can't see it in the photos, but he has the amber eyes of a smokey black. Since he is a gelding we haven't bothered to test him.

Mona,

I can't help you with any pictures, but a Smokey Silver Black would not necessarily look any different from a Silver Black without the Cream gene. My stallion (in avatar) is lab tested Smokey Black. He is as black as ink in his summer coat. He does have a brownish cast in the winter. His eyes are blue, which I attribute to the Splash gene.

This quote is from Sarah in the equinecolor forum (I hope this is allowed?):

Silver + cream black based minis & shetlands usually have that matte "taupe" body color and self colored mane/tail rather than the "silver/flaxen" mane/tail usually seen with silver diluted individuals.
So, if she is silver but with the darker mane/tail color it could be because of cream. However, all of my silver foals have been born with self-colored manes regardless of the color at maturity including my gelding's whose is now really white.

I don't have the testing to back it up, but Mouse's sire was a smokey black (he sired a palomino out of a chestnut mare), and Mouse got the silver gene from his silver chestnut dam:

mouseboringb.jpg

You can see more of him in many stages of coat at:

Mouse's page

I've been told that he is a smokey black w/silver modifier.
default_smile.png

I should, when I have some extra money (like when will that be, again!?) lying around, have him tested for the heck of it.

Liz

Silver smoky blacks tend to look like regular silver dapple foals. On many in their adult coat they have a self colored mane and tail. Susan Oberg has a silver smoky black mare, Bob Brown has one also. I know of several Shetland examples also - Royal Mystery on the Royal Pony Farm sale page at www.royalponyfarm.com is one as is Royal Misty's Flirt on the mare page.

Reading that information has made me curious about some of my ponies that have self-colored manes and tails. My stallion is like that as are some of his silver foals. I haven't really had any foals that cream would be obvious on, so I don't know for sure one way or the other.

I'm not 100% sure on my girl but i've been told she looks like she may be a silver smokey black but I don't know - sire silver, dam palomino...??

Diva2clip.jpg

4-14-06Girlsclip.jpg

I think she looks a LOT like Mouse (above)

Mona, did you steal our filly... I looked at the pic's and thought she looked so much like our filly shez got sox appeal we had born last season

maddie1.jpg

This is her colour as a yearling

maddieyearling.jpg

Alot of people thought she was by a stallion we had bred to that for want of a better term is a silver smokey cream but she isn't.

This filly is and we are in the process of getting her tested as I have my susupicions she has the cream gene..

mia.jpg

As does another filly by the same sire owned by meg they both have almost violet eyes..

Thank you everyone for your input.

chandab, no, there is definately not any champagne in there, and thanks for your comment.
default_smile.png

Minimor thanks...I did not know about the chocolate silver being black-based. I guess I was relating it to a liver chestnut. Thanks for clarifying that. I am still trying to learn all this stuff.

Songcatcher yes, I too have a smokey black here, but was curious as to the color when cream was added. I am learning, so wanted to know what one may look like, since my filly is such a "different" color.

crponies

thanks for that info. Sounds like a good possibility this may be what she is then.

nootka I have always admired Mouse. He is such a beautiful boy! I think he is a much different color than my girl though.
default_sad.png

Lewella are you then saying you don;t think this filly is a silver smokey black? If so, then do you have any ideas as to what she may be? Also, what can I test her for, and how would I use the results, to figure out what color she actually is?(if you know)

Thanks Hairicane
default_smile.png

victoria WOW...I'll say your filly looks the same foal color as mine. And your girl sure turned out to be a lovely girl!!

Hi Mona,

I don't know if this little guy is near what you're looking for in color, but here is SJ's Passionate Black Ice. He was born 3/26/06 and he's the little one that was a fainting foal. He outgrew that after about 5 days. These pics were taken when he was 3 days old.

leadsidea.jpg

feelinggoodab.jpg

running.jpg

Oh Mona... If there were ANY way I could buy 1 or two more minis, the two I would die for are This filly and MOOSE! God how I love your Moose. He is my dream boy, I have wanted him from day one. I just saw his up dated photos, and his darn price slash, and It kills me. I keep saying, the moment one of my older boys die(and if he is still for sale) I'd buy him cash down
default_rolleyes.gif
: But I bet ya Midnight and Billy still have years left in them, and Moose will be sold. I think he is an amazing boy, and I want you to know he has a fan
default_wub.png
: ...If you notice, my newest horse, Nitro is a 'b' size gelding... and the only thing that kept me from calling/e-mailing you was geography originally :no: but you never know, I just had to say how mush I like that colt, and he is next on my list. Oh, and Congrats! :aktion033:

I've wondered what this color is really called....but I think he may qualify as a silver smokey black!

His skin is still sort a mauve color.... HIs dam is a pumpkin sorrel with silver modifier giving her a cornsilk mane m/t. His sire is a smokey cream..often confused with cremello

As a weaner...

kidtrotbest1.jpg

Note the bluish violet eyes..they are now light brown with amber highlights!

head-eyeclose%208-03.jpg

I love this pic!

kidpoofy.jpg

As a 2 year old...

beau2yrrightbestsmall.jpg

Mona, you know I can't help you with the color beyond basics but oh how pretty she is! Congrats! Actually there are lots of pretty ones on this thread.

Oh Mona... If there were ANY way I could buy 1 or two more minis, the two I would die for are This filly and MOOSE! God how I love your Moose. He is my dream boy, I have wanted him from day one. I just saw his up dated photos, and his darn price slash, and It kills me. I keep saying, the moment one of my older boys die(and if he is still for sale) I'd buy him cash down
default_rolleyes.gif
: But I bet ya Midnight and Billy still have years left in them, and Moose will be sold. I think he is an amazing boy, and I want you to know he has a fan
default_wub.png
: ...If you notice, my newest horse, Nitro is a 'b' size gelding... and the only thing that kept me from calling/e-mailing you was geography originally :no: but you never know, I just had to say how mush I like that colt, and he is next on my list. Oh, and Congrats! :aktion033:

:bgrin Thanks Desiree. Yes, he is a real sweetheart! And I hated to post such fuzzy pics, but I am sure people are tired of looking at the foal ones already, and far too cold to clip. Well...if we had weather like today from here on in, I would be safe, but this is only early April, and too much can change from day to day. Can't take the chance.

You know, it is my poor location(as you said) that is keeping these boys here. I have had soooo many inquiries on them, but that transportation is a killer!! I have dropped my prices on my geldings to almost nothing to help compensate for that, but I can't give just them away. If I was down your way, they could have sold 10 times over!
default_yes.gif
: Thanks again for your comments on Moose.

If I was down your way, they could have sold 10 times over!
I know! That's what kills me :no: I really am sorry, but I hope for better luck, for you, for selling this year. You have some really nice foals already this year, and I see you sold Joker ( :aktion033: ) And hope it continues for you.

And I also know about the clipping. I clipped a muzzle on Nitro, and part of a head and neck on Joy, and I'm too worried to do any more for a few weeks! Or until I get my sleazys
default_wink.png
: You have some very nice horses and I hope I can one day met you all in person!
default_wub.png
:

Also, I'm sorry Denny tested homozygous for black, If I remember right, you were hoping he was homozygous for the cream gene; a smoky black. He too is quite nice
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back