Looking for a Companion horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Range

Reaction score
I wouldn't normally do this, but the cause is close to my heart. I am looking for a companion miniature for 25+ miniature mare at a hipptherapy ranch. The Promise Ranch is a non-profit organization that offers hippotherapy services to special needs children and their families for NO COST. They operate only on donations.

They currently have a miniature mare, 25 years old and then some, that was a rescue case several years ago. She's special needs herself due to years of neglect. Her feet were never taken care of so she has some lasting damage that needs constant care. She also apparently had a break or a ligament/tendon tear in her knee that was never treated. The knee now bends to the outside instead of to the front. She kind of rolls rather than walks. As a therapy animal with special needs herself, she is, of course, a favorite of the children.

Minnie lost her longtime pony companion this fall to impaction colic and she's had to be by herself since then because she cannot move quickly enough to get away from the big horses at the ranch. She was introduced to a new donation just recently, full of special needs himself, but the pairing didn't work. She needs a buddy!

The point of all of this is that I'm trying to help out, looking for a companion for this mare. The only specifications are that the animal be either a gelding or a mare, miniature in size, mature enough not to want to play too rough, and be good with children.

Does anyone know of someone out there that might be willing to donate such an animal, it will be tax deductible since the ranch is non-profit? Or have something at a very low price? The ranch is in Texas....the website is www.promiseranch.org.

I have already searched the rescue sites in this area and there's nothing quite right that I can find.

Thank you all for reading this very long post!

There was also an elderly mare posted on the sales board recently, and I think she was only $300.

A goat may be another option.

Hey, Gini do you think this might be good fit for the Disney horses? They are both pretty mellow old guys. Not so young as to bother an old mare too much. And they are looking pretty good now too.

Stacy when I read the post I was thinking the same thing. This might be just the right

home for them. I'll get in touch..

Thanks

Range..

You've got an e-mail
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You have PM. I have a founder gelding who would be a perfect match.. very very reasnable. he would alos be a very good hippotherapy pony!

this gelding in ohio REALLY needs a home. hes very well mannered. Please let me know if he would fit the bill.

Thank you all for your advice and your help. I have forwarded all responses to Promise Ranch. Though, I'm thinking about the Disneyland Boys!

Back