Looking back... My journey with Diva

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoeboxstables

Reaction score
Well, a couple of weeks agoI recieved a happy little package from the Garden State Mini Horse Association (AMHR), and it prompted a reflection on the past year or so. It's taken me a while to get this post together, but I'm done now! Hope ya'll are in the mood for a story....
default_yes.gif

Looking Back.....

Diva and Kaitlyn

dilook.jpg

It's been... amazing.

Diva and I first became a team in June of 2005. A good friend of ours mentioned that they knew of a couple of minis looking for a good home. At the time, we only had 1 mini and 1 big, so we went to check them out. When I first saw Diva- she was galloping accross the pasture towards us, and I knew that I had to have her. She would be my driving horse. But... mom wasn't quite sure we needed more horses, and the owner only wanted to sell her with a little stallion. So, we said not now. We went home, and for about a month- that little gray mare was all I could think of.

In mid-June, we recieved a phone call from her owners- they would sell her alone. The next day, we went and picked her up.

divab4.jpg

One day later, I concluded that Diva was a pain in my butt. I knew she hadn't been handled a lot, but my goodness! The mare couldn't walk in a straight line! She hated halters, and really didn't know how to walk on a lead. My dream driving mare didn't have a clue.

So we started from the ground, and worked our way up. It was a journey that was insane! Diva pushed me to my limits, and proved that I could do it. I had never attempted to train a horse even remotly similar to her, and had never had to lay down such basic concepts. And Diva wasn't young! She was 7- and set in her ways. So we kept working, and kept trying.

And one day, we were finally at the point were we started ground driving. It wasn't a smooth transition, and we discovered even more problems then.

divagd.jpg

But we kept pushing, until we achieved it- we were driving.

diva2.jpg

This brings us to the fall of 2006. I brought Diva to her first driving show- a 4H schooling show. The biggest thing I noticed was that she was good as gold. My pain in the butt Diva was good. We placed fairly well, and I was thrilled. We were actually on our way.

So she sat over the winter, we drove a few times- but nothing big. But come March, we were ready. We started training like I have never trained before. We worked every day. As soon as I was home from school/work- I was down at the barn. We drove, we lunged, we long lined, we did patterns, we practiced obstacles, we worked almost every single day.

We attended a driving clinic, and got body clipped for the first time.

P3319106.jpg

We went on the trail, we ground drove everywhere.

diva3.jpg

We worked our butts off, and we were ready for our first show of the season. It started with the Keystone Miniature Horse Club Spring Fun Show.

divashow.jpg

Diva was AWESOME. She was so good- and we got first in our first driving class of the season. Needless to say, I was thrilled.

But I knew the real test was still to come. We kept working, and entered into our first AMHR Triple Judged Show together. There was no doubt- I was nervous. But for the third time, Diva proved she had a heart of gold. Not only did she kick butt in the in-hand classes, she did so in driving.

In our first ever youth country pleasure class, the call judge placed us first.

firstblue.jpg

Although I don't look it- I was jumping up and down! We had WON!!!

So then came a flurry of shows, and success. There was the Keystone Classic, where we got our first ever backdrop picture.

backdropsm.jpg

We went to the All Ponies Show, where we beat out adults and kids with all sized minis.

We continued the GSMHA shows, and kicked butt at the second one.

Then the 4H Championship Show, where we got Reserve, and single-handedly brought home the Perpetual Trophy for High Point Driving County.

Then we took a short break, and had some fun. We went trail driving even more, and tried something new. My hydrophobic pony, went swimming with me. MY DIVA, went swimming. No hesitation. No doubt. Just trust.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...159&hl=diva

divme.jpg

And then, we rounded out the show season with the KMHC Fall Fun Show.

div-1.jpg

We brought home seven blues. That was an awesome show. I made a big post about it a while back,

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...251&hl=kmhc

But these quotes really sum it up:

But in youth pole bending, she gave me even more. It really was the physical representation of how incrediably far we've come as a team this year. Trotting up to the line, she gave me a snappy little jog, and didn't even come close to falling out. When we got to the starting line, she kicked it up, and stayed solid, and was up in the bridle for the approach. She NEVER wavered, and didn't wiggle between the shafts as we approched the poles. Her turns were AMAZING. She was so quick to respond, and kept up her pace. At one point, I overshot a turn, but she was perfect; she knew her job. She slammed on the breaks, and did a BEAUTIFUL pivot, and made it right in between the poles that I almost made her miss. At the end of the line, she pulled an awesome turn, and we headed home. The extension- was out of this world. I have NEVER felt that mare move like that before. And I knew she wouldn't break. We were flying. It was teamwork like nothing else. And yes- we won. What a feeling.
Then came youth driving obstacle. She was just about perfect- and we won. This class is probably her favorite- and boy how far she's come. When I got her two years ago- she was afraid of EVERYTHING! And would bolt too. Now, she'll canter over tarps, be attacked by shopping bags, back through zig zags, and pivot on a dime. The only thing that has ever gotten to her in the past year was my uncle's little jack russel, that chased her barking while we were driving. But she didn't bolt- she just got bouncy !
This show season has been unreal. It was the first time I even really kicked up to the next level, and we were VERY successful. There was never a disappointing show, or moment. Diva and I brought our relationship to the next level, and it was fantastic!

So when we got that Garden State Mini Horse butt. package in the mail, I was extremely excited!! I knew we did well, but I wasn't sure just HOW well.....

I couldn't wait to get inside, mom and I opened it in the car.

There was BLUE.

LOTS OF BLUE.

WITH RED, AND YELLOW.

When I saw the certificates, it was awesome!

My Diva, my dorky little Diva, and I won.....

ribbonssm.jpg

YEAR END CHAMPION YOUTH SHOWMANSHIP

YEAR END CHAMPION YOUTH HALTER MARE

YEAR END CHAMPION YOUTH COUNTRY PLEASURE DRIVING

YEAR END THIRD PLACE YOUTH IN HAND

YEAR END FIFTH PLACE OPEN COUNTRY PLEASURE DRIVING

and...........

YEAR END RESERVE CHAMPION OVERALL HIGH POINT YOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are now some HUGE, beautiful ribbons hanging on my walls, some great certificates, and a TROPHY!

awardssm.jpg

You couldn't have paid me to wipe that goofy grin off my face!
default_biggrin.png

So, it was an amazing year. It was definatly the most rewarding one I've ever had. We worked hard, and it soooooooo paid off. Our relationship is at a totally new level, and I am so thankful for this mare. The ribbons are nice and all, but it's the bond that really matters. The awards are just markers of our progress together, nothing else. But we've progressed sooooo far. sooooo far.

So now, we're looking foward to next year. We're sooo looking foward to it. Because, it's going to be even better....

If that's even possible!!!!
default_biggrin.png

So thanks for listening to our story. It means a TON to me- and Diva too.

sumawards.jpg

default_wub.png
That is an amazing story!

I really enjoyed it & congratulations to you & Diva.

She is gorgeous and it looks like you guys make a great team!
default_aktion033.gif

I'll be looking for more story's in the future
default_laugh.png

Ashley

What a wonderful story and how Lucky is that mare! I wish you lived close I would definitely hire you to work my two..we just can't get them out enough for exercise.

Congratulations!

Maxine

AHhhhh, Kaitlyn, that was a beautiful story, I loved it beginning to end
default_smile.png
You and Dive deserve to be very proud of yourselves. Keep on enjoying each other
default_aktion033.gif
Would love to meet you both someday, I'm probably not that far from you !

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful story! That just says it all to me, the relationship that you developed by training your own horse, overcoming the obstacles, trying, learning, practicing, and practicing more. I have spent my entire life wanting to train and work with my own horses. You are getting the taste early for what that brings to your life! It is your accomplishments! The undeniable, wonderful, relationship and partnership with your animal.

CONGRATULATIONS! I really can't congratulate you enough on your huge accomplishments! That is awesome. And you are a VERY good writer by the way. I would encourage to keep writing, journaling...there are scholarships available through many horse organizations for youth like yourself.
default_aktion033.gif

What an amazing journey! Congratulations on so many wonderful accomplishments!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Oh what a wonderful story I loved it from the beginning til the end. How amazing it is to see a true partnership. I know I would have been thrilled to see those gorgeous ribbons. Like someone has already stated a horse is only as good as its handler...Soooo way to go to the both of you. You both deserved it! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Thank you all so much!!!
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png
It's been a great time. I cannot wait to send a Christmas card to her breeder and previous owners- I think they'll be thrilled to know what she's become!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

I've got tears in my eyes. Congratulations!! I can't even verbalize what means the most to me about this post- if it's the way you stuck with her, the wins themselves, the way you wrote about it or what. All I can say is I hope you can feel the giant hug I'm sending you across the miles and how proud of you I am. Diva is one hot little lady.

(And how did I miss that thread about the swim in the river? Those pictures are awesome!)

Leia

What a great year for you both!! You are very inspiring... Keep having fun with Diva, keep us posted with pix and news...
default_yes.gif

What a great story!

You have turned this little horse around. You guys have formed a beautiful bond, something that would not happen if she didn't love you
default_wub.png

All your hard work and devotion paid off. I just hope that my kids can be as dedicated to something just the way you are. You are inspiring for so many young people out there.

Congratulations.
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you thank you thank you all soooooo much!!!
default_biggrin.png
default_cheekkiss.gif

It means so much to me to hear this guys
default_blush.png
default_biggrin.png
!

It's been a fabulous time with this mare, and I'm only too happy to share it with everyone
default_wub.png

Back