Look What I Found!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieGirl89

Reaction score
So I was brushing Spirit yesterday for like an hour, now underneath all that winter fuzz you could absolutely not see this. But low and behold....

A STRIPE!!!!

I had to cut it with scissors a little to make sure my heart and my brain weren't playing tricks on me!

Took a closeup pic of his eye too just so you can see how seriously partial that blue to brown ratio is lol

And his legs are getting super dark already! A few weeks ago they were almost entirely white.

Dun/ Dunskin = FAVORITE COLOR (top ten) I almost fainted when I saw that stripe, I got so excited it's not even funny.

I love dun and / or back stripes!!! It's just the extra bit of frosting on some of our horses and I love it
default_yes.gif

Exactly! I mean when you think your horse is one color and all of a sudden you're like WOAH! NOT A BUCKSKIN! That dark stripe with his super black legs...oh man...*drool*

Cool!! What a nice surprise. I am anxious to see Halo all sleeked out. I have been told, she sleeks out, naturally, super nice.

I think it is just a buckskin with a dorsal stripe and not dun. A dun stripe would be seen no matter what time of year or thickness of coat they have.

I'm not an expert on dun by any means, but I did purchase a darling lab-tested dun colt and when he arrived earlier this year his coat was so thick, his dun stripe wasn't very visible. As he's been shedding it has become much more visible, and it's wide like your colt's, DixieGirl89. Of course you can't be sure unless he has leg stripes and a strip on his withers (or you have him tested). I hope for your sake that he's a dun, they are so neat!
default_smile.png

Is this the same colt that's in your avatar?

If so, you can see a stripe in that picture, and he looks to have silver as well, which can dilute the dun factor.

This mare is silver bay dun, you can hardly see her dun factor due to her silver:

Tana - june 23, 2012 - 2.jpg

Here she is with her 2012 grullo colt:

Tana and foal - June 27, 2012 - 2.jpg

Her dun factor:

Tana - july 9, 2007 - dorsal.jpg

Tana - july 9, 2007 - leg bars.jpg

Dun and silver weren't available at the time I tested her, but she tested EE,Aa, no cream when I did test her. [We thought she was palomino when she was a foal. Her dam is dunskin, her sire silver black leopard appy (can't see much of his silver black, he was registered as white leopard).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a true dun has other factors as well... not just a dorsal stripe. What a surprize for you! Cant wait til your little buddy is all shed out to see what all is under there!

Here's a site, there may be others too out there, that are helpful with correct colors.

http://www.horsecolor.com/color_index.htm

Hard to tell with all of the winter hair still on your horse, but once shed out, there are a bunch of 'dun' factors to look for. Some typical characteristics: dorsal, zebra striping on legs, shoulder bars, darker ear points, darker legs. Here is a definition from the International Buckskin Horse Association (dun IS in the buckskin 'family'): "Dun is an intense color with a hide that has an abundance of pigment in the hairs. The dun color is a duller shade than buckskin and may have a smutty appearance. Most dun horses have dark points of brown or black. Dun horses sport the "dun factor" points which include dorsal and shoulder stripes, leg barring, etc."<br />

Hmm man that stinks! My friend was the Secretary of the IBHA, he passed away a few months ago :'( I wish I could ask him. He may just be buckskin/buttermilk buckskin, I highly doubt there's leg barring under all that. and I seriously doubt he has shoulder barring.

Latest posts

Back