Look at what wandered into my yard

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could he be just wild and not a pet? I wonder what made him stick around your place..he must feel safe there. Now that you put some food out, he probably for sure won't leave, at least I wouldn't
default_biggrin.png

My goodness what fine,sturdy bird!
default_biggrin.png
I don't recall seeing an emu with a beak like that. But I'm by no means an expert.Good luck finding his home.

Oh wait I had my birds mixed up! I was thinking of a Rhea.Rheas have shorter,rounder beaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't find the owner you could catch and butcher the animal. I would put the meat into ground. That way you can use it in any ground beef recipe. No, Actually he could have come from several miles away. Even up to 50 miles. There was a ranch here that had some get out and they were found about 50 miles away. You may never find the owner. As for their value, they are real cheap here. One grower here actually gives part of his chick crop away to try to get more people interested in them. We had one that was a pet because she had a birth defect. She was raised with a chicken and chickens do not live as long as an Emu. Stevie got depressed so we got her a bunny and a goat. The goat chewed the feathers off of the emu so I made Stevie a blanket out of a heavy denim and polar flees. Kind of like a horse blanket but with the small neck opening and straps to keep it on. She loved it.

I won't be keeping it. I will either find the owner tonight or will call animal control tomorrow. We live in the county, (no city limits) and are used to the occasional dog dropped off or people dumping thier trash, but I never thought about someone just dumping an Emu. And I guess it could of wandered off from far away.

Hmmm...never thought I'd be presented with a "what-to-do" about an Emu!

Good News!!

Mr. Emu has a name and has an owner. His name is Earny. They were trying to herd him home when I got there. He belongs to one of those houses where no one was home the other day. Apparently they have had him for a couple of years.

So Earny went home.
default_aktion033.gif

OMG, I wouldn't set foot outside knowing that was running around on my property!! I have a fear of birds, LOL, particularly large ones, I don't know why. I've never been attacked by a bird, but it sure scares me. If a bird runs my way, I'll run the other, LOL. You'd never know I used to be a correctional officer in a medium security prison, dealing with 300 inmates at a time, by myself! I can handle people, 16H horses playing chicken, etc, just NOT birds!!!

Latest posts

Back