Long Distance Hauling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, didn't see anywhere else it would fit into but correct me if I'm wrong!

I know this is a little early, considering Pinto Worlds is in June but I'm excited and planning. Anybody have any tips on long distance hauling? I'm planning on taking my mini to Pinto Worlds in June, it's an 11 hour drive from where I live. What are your thoughts on untied trailering? I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Also, anybody use trailer cameras? I would love to have one so I could watch her and make sure she's okay, especially if she's untied. Any brand recommendations, etc. How much did you spend on them and did they work/was it worth it? Don't want anything too expensive. TIA.

Claire

I have only ever gone 6 hours before. I travelled him untied and i stopped ever 2 hours to check/water and feed. He did not do any of those though, so for 11hours i would want to at least have a stop over for a few hours (you could catch a few hours sleep too) and only continue if he has ate and drank. You would want to aim to be there at least a day before, so he has time to recover and be on his best. As for cameras, i think ebay sell some.

We have driven 30 hours when we moved 20 years ago. The horses were tied when in the truck/trailer. We offered water every fuel stop and offered feed when we would stop to eat. We took the time, three even spaced stops and unloaded and walked everyone around a little to stretch their legs a bit before heading onward. Since we had mares and a stallion, untied was not an option. ;-)

Ive traveled interstate before to the races, horses have always been tied no matter what distance they have traveled. Plenty of stops every 2-3 hours to allow the horses to stretch their legs and to have a drink.

You could always try and find somewhere to stay for the night , maybe a boarding/ bed and breakfast place that allows horses to stay? and then you would be able to travel the 11 hours over 2 days.

Ensure you have plenty of water in containers as you never know if you will have access to good quality water at each stop .

A healthy, non-pregnant horse should have NO trouble hauling for 11 hours. PROVIDED - he/she has a comfortable trailer stall, and like already mentioned, every gas/potty break stop you check on them, offer water, and possibly walk around a little.

We travel 8-10 hrs at least twice a year. We check the horses at every fuel and/or bathroom break. The horses are always tied. I would give yourself an extra day or 2 before the show starts just in case. Ours sometimes don't like the water at the new place and it takes a bit to get them to drink.

I have an "open plan" type of stock trailer. Depending on how many and what the particular horse is doing (going to try to jump out of that open space over the center gate or worse the smaller open space over the top of the rear door?). We haul both tied and loose. W/ the last two trailers, I can leave a bucket hanging in the trailer area when they are loose - they can drink on their own - both while we are stopped and while on the road. We have thick mats on the floor but usually don't do a lot of bedding. When I have chosen to do bedding, we use fly masks for protection because the wind thru the trailer slats can cause small dust debri to swirl and fly about - but it's usually cooler than a completely enclosed trailer.

For long distance hauls, we used hay nets stuffed full to keep them occupied, too. If going to a local show, the hay nets rode on the outside of the trailer until we arrived and unloaded. It depended on where we were at as to whether or not we unloaded and led them around much. A lot of the places we stopped at, frown on having smelly deposits dropped on their ground directly or by falling out of the trailer during load/unload (even when swept up and carried out w/ us). Also, depended on the amount of noise and traffic, too.

Have to run, will pick this up later...

I have hauled mine from Ca to Pa. Then from Pa to Az. Twice we stopped at a horse motel so they could rest each night. Carried water from home and apple juice. We traveled more like 14-16 hours a day on some days. When there was no near by horse motel, we got them out and walked for awhile. While traveling they were tied, hay bags, water offered at all times. They were happy campers!

I've hauled 14-17 hour days (Montana to Washington) just fine with my horses. At every gas stop we offered water and kept hay in front of them (have to be careful you use hay bags and hay that does not make the hay blow all over, it can blow in there eyes and cause irritation/infection). My horses have always been fine. They are always tied and in a stall (not hauled open). The stall gives them something to lean on and I am always nervous about them trying to get their head underneath and having an accident if I don't tie. I've seen more accidents with untied horses (I use quick release ropes if i need to undo them in an emergency). You should be fine to do the drive straight through without taking them out. Like most people said, make sure you haul in early so your horse can rest/get acclimated.

Latest posts

Back