Lonely mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafpints

Reaction score
Our 33" mare lost her foal last night, so we are looking for an orphaned foal that may be in need of a nurse mare. She misses her foal a lot and is looking for him. So if you have a foal that could use a momma, let me know. We are located in Wayland MI. Her foal was 3 weeks old when he passed over the rainbow bridge and the mare has a lot of milk.

I don't have an orphan foal but just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear you lost yours. How very sad for you and your mare, especially after having her for 3 weeks. I hope your mare is doing well.

OOOOO, sorry to hear of your combined loss. I have only experienced the loss of a foal at birth and much later in life...

Have you put out the word - thru vet clinics, pet/feed stores, large horse breeders and any animal/vet schools? Even if not close by, you never know who can/will transport a foal (or be willing to lease your mare if that was an option)...

Also, can't remember any more - haven't checked in forever. May be just for colostrum, but there used to be "milk banks" that would collect and freeze mares' milk. You could check into that...

Cyber hugs for you and your mare!

I too am sorry to hear of the loss, but may I suggest to check at the local auctions. Most every mare this time of year have a little one along side and as cold as it may be but lots of them are sold seperate from the foals, so you will also be saving a life as lots of people only want the mare then poor little ones left singled out (needing a bottle of corse) at these auctions. If you do decide to go bring a friend to help with the bidding of a healthy baby, if you do bring one home simply milk your mare and bottle feed while you quarantine. I wish you the best of luck on your new 'adoption'.

Latest posts

Back