Locked stifle.... frustrating

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do agree that there are horses in the show ring winning in halter classes that have some serious issues :no: but like so many know, conformation is often overlooked for a "showy" horse. A " showy" horse with faults can be put up over one that may have better conformation. Until judges pick for correct conformation there will always be those who win with serious faults. I seen this even in the dog show world and bred one that I sold and it went on to become a top 10 national winner. What he lacked in conformation he made up in attitude and showmanship...he did have wondeful reach and drive though and although a small dog he kept up in the working class with the big ones. I totally agree that education for excellent conformation has to done to breed for excellence and we can't necessarily go by the National winners for being the best conformed horse out there. On the positive side, there are some gorgeous winners out there and would love to bring them home with me! Mary

I agree that a horse can have what appears to be good to excellent conformation and still may have stifle problems-as noted, improper feed, care, and usage management *can* contribute to such problems. However, I believe that most times, this IS a genetic issue.

As for horses with such issues winning in the show ring? A number of years ago, at AMHA Nationals, I observed a stallion who'd won BIG, in both halter AND driving, whose hind leg was so overly straight, it looked as if it was 'on backwards'--I found it distressing that such a horse could win as he did--but, it happened....

Carol is SOOO right; if you're going to BREED ANY horse-or for that matter, ANY animal, IMO, you need first to educate yourself DEEPLY as to what is correct and properly FUNCTIONAL conformation. You need to work continuously and always to develop your 'eye', so that you can and will SEE, and be able to well-evaluate, every aspect of that conformation.

Margo

I have only had one mini done with surgery and it worked wonderfully. It was several yeas ago so I have forgotton the cost but it was well worth doing. It sure solves the problem.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back