Local lady killed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_no.gif
o my

My heart goes out the the family.

Wow, that is just horrible
default_no.gif
Prayers to her family
default_pray.gif
I don't have those types of dogs, but I am glad our dog is crated at night.. I just can't imagine that..
default_unsure.png

There was a case many years ago of a woman who trained guard dogs. She would use her husbands unwashed clothes to train them to attack. One day, no great surprise, the dogs attacked her husband. He did survive.

Then there was the father who smothered his 5 month old son and then got scared so fed pieces of the baby to the family German Shepherd, saying the dog attacked the baby.

Just makes me wonder....

Robin

I had a wondering mind about why would dogs that was raised with you and slept in the same bed would do this, but you never know I guess. If the story takes a turn I'll sure post it.

Poor lady, can you imagine the feelings she had knowing dogs she loved had betrayed her in this way. I know how I felt when 3 of mine attacked my mini a couple years ago. I just can't imagine that feeling of betrayal being any worse but I guess it can.

What a horrible story!!
default_no.gif

My cousins live in Kansas City and they said ALL Pit BULLS are illegal. A pit bull went over a 8 ft privacy fence into an older womans yard and killed her! So anyone with pitbulls in KC have to have them put down.

Such a sad thing that people have raised a breed to be mean ( I'm sure there are some nice ones out there) so the breed has to be stopped in that city!

Then there was the father who smothered his 5 month old son and then got scared so fed pieces of the baby to the family German Shepherd, saying the dog attacked the baby
OMG, I don't think I'd ever heard about that...I'm going to be sick!

My cousins live in Kansas City and they said ALL Pit BULLS are illegal. A pit bull went over a 8 ft privacy fence into an older womans yard and killed her! So anyone with pitbulls in KC have to have them put down.
Many cities have adopted this, I believe there are a couple states too...many of the campgrounds we use to stay at in Michigan that are allowed dogs are not allowed pitbulls or pitbull mixes. I don't know what the solution to the problem is...they all of course are not mean, but then again, they were bred for it, just like a hunting dog is bred to point (yes we did have a brittany without an ounce of training that would point at birds)..I do believe any dog is capable of this kind of thing, but perhaps certain breeds are more prone.

terrible story, my heart goes out to her family.

That is horriable and so sad to read, yes please do keep us posted. I would imagine something had to trigger them, but that is horriable. My friend has a half pit bull and she is very friendly but one dog cant speak for them all
default_no.gif

Sometimes i thank god i for me little 'ankle biter'
default_unsure.png

That is sad, But I have to wonder just what happened to set them off? Or if the DH did somthing to her??

Honestly the breed wasn't raised to be mean, they can be set off to bite jsut like any other breed can. A LOT comes from how they are raised. It's just that they were bred for a great amount of jaw power and that jaw power can do more damage than a reg dogs jaw can. Although there are people that say they've had worse injuries from a chi than a pit. LOL

I do hate to hear it though, and no doubt the story will give even more cities the gumption to enforce the pit ban.
default_no.gif

Sleeping with animals is dangerous. Many people get away with it, but when something like this happens it seems many people like to forget that dogs are not furry, four-legged people. With stories like these you always read how loving and loved the dogs were, but what I'd like to know is how much formal training those dogs and their owners had. How were those dogs kept?

Unfortunately, most people haven't the slightest clue how to read their dogs beyond the obvious growl or snap, and don't know how to react in situations where they are likely to be attacked. I know many people who have much-loved dogs who they consider harmless, but the potential for serious consequences in the wrong situatione is obvious. The dogs are giving all the right signals and I've tried to point it out, but no one is listening. "Don't be rediculous, Champ would NEVER do that!" I've no doubt there were likely plenty of warning signs leading up to this tragic event, as well, if it turns out to not be foul play...

BSL is BS. Banning "Pit Bulls" is not the solution. There are many breeds that fall under that blanket category and Pit Bulls are not the only dogs known to have attacked or killed humans. Banning "Pit Bulls" still leaves Rottweilers, Dobermans, Boxers as well as several breeds of Mastiffs, Shepherds, etc. that can act out in the same way and just as efficiently. Pit Bulls are not the only dogs out there with drive, body mass, propulsion and teeth. Don't think so? Watch some Schutzhund videos, then stop and consider what those same dogs have the potential to do untrained, mishandled, cooped up in a house with no outlet and an untrained handler.

For some factual information on Pit Bulls, I recommend a visit to this site: http://www.realpitbull.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a wondering mind about why would dogs that was raised with you and slept in the same bed would do this, but you never know I guess. If the story takes a turn I'll sure post it.

Poor lady, can you imagine the feelings she had knowing dogs she loved had betrayed her in this way. I know how I felt when 3 of mine attacked my mini a couple years ago. I just can't imagine that feeling of betrayal being any worse but I guess it can.
[SIZE=12pt]We went through the same thing with Ramble and our dogs. The only dog to show any remorse was Nikki and she's the only one that is still with a family member. We still don't *know* she was involved, but we had to assume she was...
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

Everytime I hear a story about a dog killing people and then breeds being banned...

Well, lets hope that no one ever seriously takes a look at how many people are hurt or killed by pet horses, or look at the people who have been hurt and killed by crossing a fence to a horse pasture. Just think how many lives banning them could save....

My heart goes out to all of the people and animals involved.

I agree with Robin- something sounds kinda fishy here..... like the guy here that shot his entire family and then burnt the house down hoping nobody would notice. That has been a few years ago now and he still has not been found... has been featured on America's Most Wanted.

I just cant see someone asleep and the dogs attack for no reason. Uh, dont they think she would have woke up and tried to get AWAY??? Sounds like she was still laying in the bed.

I'm not a PB fan at all and would never own one, but sounds rather odd if you ask me..........

Laurie, if the woman and the dogs were together in bed, I could see the dogs going off on her if they felt pressed. Dogs do become possessive over their beds. The woman might have moved, bumped into a dog, the dog felt threatened, she might have reacted quickly by pulling back or trying to move away, yelling or crying out and/or she might have physically gotten after the dog and the dog reacted in the way a dog does when protecting it's territory. Perhaps the dog was even trying to jump up onto the bed. The same scenerio could have even played out between dogs and the aggression may have been redirected at their owner if she tried to stop it. A screaming, kicking, trashing person looks a lot like a prey animal. Those are powerful dogs, so I could see even one of them over powering a person and keeping that person on the bed while attacking. One bite in the right place and you wouldn't be able to get away...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the newspaper today and the mother in law said the woman, 24 year old, was with the dogs all of the time. Her husband works a way a lot and she stayed at home with them. Raised these dogs like her kids.

Right now they are guessing what could have happen. She had a history of seizures so they think she may have had one and triggered the dog attack. Of course this was the family saying this.

They did say she bleed to death from the injuries.

Also last year the police had raided the house for drugs and one of the officers was attacked by a pit bull and he shot the dog. I remember the officer telling me about that story. He hated doing it but he feared for his life and had no choice.

I haven't even read the news article yet(and may not--it sounds horrific...), but I want to comment on what mininik pointed out. I am in complete agreement...although I have always allowed my tiny dogs to sleep with me, I would NEVER allow any dog any larger than them to sleep on/in my bed! Dogs DO become possessive about something like that, and as a result, can be dangerous, even to the owner who believes that the dog 'would NEVER'.....

I have a cousin who feels she is a SUPREME dog lover. She has ALWAYS chosen dogs unsuited to city life, always having two or three sizable and energetic dogs when she has a small house and almost NO yard, and then, she expects NOTHING of them in the way of manners. Example--they lie in the doorway of her small kitchen when people are there at holiday time, literally creating a danger to those trying to come and go-like my cousin's very elderly in-laws-yet NO WAY would they be 'asked' to move. She has had a number of dogs in the years she's lived in the city; finally, with the most recent two, who are crosses of high energy breeds, she DID start actually taking them out to a park to exercise--before them, never. Her last dog was a pit cross, and IMO, a dangerous dog, who clearly exhibited an unstable temperment. My cousin, a single woman for years, has always allowed all of those sizable dogs to sleep in her bed, and once told me that that particular dog would growl at her if she attempted to get the dog to get off the bed...a definitely dangerous signal, but my cousin is TOTALLY indulgent of the dogs, and actually refuses to recognize such a sign. Sure enough, one day, that dog VICIOUSLY attacked a new puppy they'd gotten, with no provocation, injurying my cousin's adult daughter(who after a brief marriage, moved back in w/ mommy and is still there, along with her now teenaged child, at age 34...
default_wacko.png
). They had the pit cross euthanized. Now, the dog that was attacked that day is an adult, and is exhibiting the same kind of behavior! I believe it is partly because the dog is poorly socialized, along with being 'spoiled' and never disciplined in ANY manner. He is a husky cross; over the holidays, while my daughter and I were there, this dog tried to bite me, with NO provocation; scared the s**t out of me--she did not in any way reprimand nor limit the dog! She doesn't believe in taking them to obedience classes; feels that because she "loves" them so much, all will be well....her dogs are shy and act fearful of people they don't know; even the other dog now there is that way to begin with, though her basic temperment is more sound, and she soon 'warms up' to a newcomer.

Bottom line is, dogs NEED proper training and discipline, and owners need some good common sense about same--and about the characteristics and traits of the kind of dog they choose! There is no reason why we should ever be reading such horror stories!

Margo

Also last year the police had raided the house for drugs and one of the officers was attacked by a pit bull and he shot the dog. I remember the officer telling me about that story. He hated doing it but he feared for his life and had no choice.
This tells alot about the whole situation...I will say no more.

Wow, I agree that sums it up, and Margo, some people just shouldnt own ANY kind of dog! Makes me wonder, with no rules or anything, how they would have raised kids?!!! And someone better help ANY dog that growls at me, whether it's mine or not!

Latest posts

Back