Little Enstien

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Enstien was first born and I saw his pics I thought he looked like a premature foal. Now he's catching up a bit. Still cute as a button though! Don't know why they went for all the publicity but I have to say I get questioned about him a lot at work because they know I raise miniature horses...so, even if it is a bit of hype it does put miniature horses in the spotlight! As they say...any publicity is good publicity! I do think he's got a bit of a roached back though.

A foal grows most, and very rapidly, during the first six months of it's life, so that is not unusual to grow that much I dont think- it is pretty close to what the height chart says I believe, which is a good guideline. Their growth really slows after about 6 months. How old is he now?

A foal grows most, and very rapidly, during the first six months of it's life, so that is not unusual to grow that much I dont think- it is pretty close to what the height chart says I believe, which is a good guideline. Their growth really slows after about 6 months. How old is he now?

they said he was 5 months old

I also watched little Enstien on TV yesterday! He is tiny and cute for his age! I too seen a bit of a roach back when he would put his head to the ground! Only time will tell with this little guy! That being said, we had a colt born here 8 years ago that was 14" tall and weighed 12lbs. WW Miniatures Heza Silver Star! He was perfect in all areas and matured at 25". But at 4 1/2 years old he starting showing small signs of dwarfism. We had bred him and he produced a beautiful black colt who also matured around 26" and at 3 years of age we bred Hezas son and he threw a dwarf, so we gelded Heza and his son the next week!

So, only time will tell with Enstien!

Bill

I agree that some are much slower in showing dwarf characteristics. I know someone who had one that looked normal at birth- longer legs, smaller head than the 'typical dwarf' we see most of the time....... But the older it got, the more it 'fell apart' and developed an underbite, back end went down, hind legs became week and it progressed more with time. This dwarf still had a reasonably long neck, etc...

Like Paris with her dog in her purse, I am sure we will see many people running around with tiny minis in dog harnesses thinking its cute after this episode. I'd say if you are trying to sell your dwarfs, the market for them just got a lot better.
Couldnt agree more, he is very cute but his hind legs, roached back and very short neck are characteristic of dwarfism. As was said earlier...what a pity Oprah didnt have a show horse or two with great conformation and proportion from the worlds.

Like Paris with her dog in her purse, I am sure we will see many people running around with tiny minis in dog harnesses thinking its cute after this episode. I'd say if you are trying to sell your dwarfs, the market for them just got a lot better.
Couldnt agree more, he is very cute but his hind legs, roached back and very short neck are characteristic of dwarfism. As was said earlier...what a pity Oprah didnt have a show horse or two with great conformation and proportion from the worlds.
Perhaps people who watch Oprah could flood her with letters and emails requesting that she bring on a National or World Champion from the under 30" class to give a true representation of what is a "perfect little horse". Just a thought.

Years ago I had a little mini foal born and he looked really nice and small.. As he aged, the truth came out that he was truly a dwarf.. The weiner type dwarf.. I gave him to someone that had tons of time to give him plenty of love..

I just found this picture of Thumbelina... Gosh this picture sure is cute! How can the general public say she is not CUTE? She looks like a stuffed animal..

1.jpg

I know we are not suppose to post pictures of other horses on this forum but Thumbelina was made public domain by the owners.. Just as Einstein is..
I know what you mean Mary Lou. But honestly, Thumbalina doesn't look like that anymore. Sadly, she looks disfigured and like she's in pain. I am NOT saying she is in pain, because I don't know that to be the case. And it's probably been 2 years since I've gotten to see her in person and actually pet her and interact with her. But as she aged, the "signs" became more pronounced and she looked like it was more difficult for her to get around. She was still getting around, that's for sure, but it looked more difficult. She certainly gets the best medical and farrier care money can buy so that's not an issue with her. But goodness, having a dwarf to care for a long road to go down and if you have a horse that you suspect is a carrier or has produced one, why repeat that? (not you personally ML, the all of us, collective "you").

Poor litte Einstein is adorable...of course he is. But for experienced mini people to have him in front of them every day, seeing him from all angles and watching him walk, to say he is not and he may be used as a breeding stallion...well something stinks here and it's not my septic system! To keep putting him in the spotlight and trying to distance yourself from Thumbalina, well, again, something doesn't seem right to ME. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But my gut tells me we're all being taken for a ride.

The owner's of Einstein were very firm in saying he was not a dwarf and then described Thumbelina as a dwarf in a very carefully manner. One of those videos assured that Einstein's owners are not breeders and they will not be using him for breeding purposes. I too am thrown about the use of a harness on him though.

What bothers me a lot is this gives the non-horsey people the idea that smaller is better. My non-horsey friend saw the Oprah show called to notify me I had better start reducing the size of my miniatures and then my foals could be tiny and famous too. See what I mean? This kind of exposure puts the wrong idea out there and I don't like the general public thinking that is what its all about.

I love Songcather's idea. We should all ask Oprah to give equal time to a World or National Champion and bring them on the show, or any high caliber horse for that matter, just for the sake of comparrison to the open public. Show them driving, show them jumping, show them its so much more than how tiny they can be.

Oh Mary Lou, that picture is just sad... the one with the harness on. That poor little thing looks miserable and you can see it written all over it. That just breaks my heart.

I agree that something about little Einstein just doesnt quite look right to me either- the back, do his hind pasterns look weak to me or is it my imagination? Time will tell, but like Thumbelina, he has a face anyone would love. His eyes are so expressive.

My gosh, that Thumbelina almost doesn't look real! The little Einstein guy is a cute one too... I too find the harness an odd choice?
unsure.gif
But i appreciate all of you posting links, i generally never watch oprah so would have have not seen the clip otherwise.

Years ago I had a little mini foal born and he looked really nice and small.. As he aged, the truth came out that he was truly a dwarf.. The weiner type dwarf.. I gave him to someone that had tons of time to give him plenty of love..

I just found this picture of Thumbelina... Gosh this picture sure is cute! How can the general public say she is not CUTE? She looks like a stuffed animal..

1.jpg

I know we are not suppose to post pictures of other horses on this forum but Thumbelina was made public domain by the owners.. Just as Einstein is..

I guess I will add my two cents.

For a horse that is 5 to 6 months old and looks like Einstein, something is fishy. He does look to have a roached back (regardless of hair) and still very wean back legs. To try and say that this horse is perfectly proportioned, is like trying to say that fish can fly. His front end looks somewhat in proportion, except for the short neck, but there is definitely something wrong with his back end.

I had a colt years ago, that was very small and looked like any other little Mini, but as the months went by, it was obvious that there was something wrong.

Oprah says it is causing a stir in the Miniature Horse World, it is, but not the kind she may be thinking.

My opinion is that these people bought this little horse to promote him.(the ones on TV, were not the breeders, but ones that bought him) Sorry to say, but they seem to have seen $$$$ signs when they saw and bought this little guy. He has two human nannies for g..s sake, does that not say that they are hoping to make money on him? It takes a lot to promote a horse to the outside world. Thumbelina has been used in this way for years, and now so will Einstein. How sad for these dwarfs and how sad for our breed. Does one ever see a dwarf large horse promoted? I would think not.

Also, they do not have the facilities to keep a horse and said that he just runs around their back yard like any dog. How many people out there are going to now want to buy a dwarf (tiny) Mini so that they can keep it in their small back yard?

HGFarm, I saw the same thing you did, he does look awful weak in the hind pasterns to me too..

Riverdance, you're last two paragraphs pretty much summed up what I've been thinking too.. Think it boils down to fame and fortune, pushing for a "World Record", getting on National TV and I'm sure hoping to make a buck or two..
default_no.gif

I HAVE ONLY ONE THING TO SAY ON THIS POST...GIVE THEM A BREAK...... THE LITTLE HORSE IS LOVED FOR GODS SAKE !!!!!CARED FOR AND BY THE LOOKS OF IT HAS A GREAT LIFE!!!!!

I HAVE ONLY ONE THING TO SAY ON THIS POST...GIVE THEM A BREAK...... THE LITTLE HORSE IS LOVED FOR GODS SAKE !!!!!CARED FOR AND BY THE LOOKS OF IT HAS A GREAT LIFE!!!!!
Chill. We Miniature Horse owners, showers and breeders are not thrilled with the promotion of what may be a DWARF horse. THAT'S what all the fuss is all about.

Yes, he's cute, yes, he's loved... but then again, so are all of ours, and we can promote CORRECT, TINY Miniaure Horses.

I am sure that he is loved for now, but what will happen to him when he can no longer get around well, has extensive vet and farrier bills (if they even know what a farrier is, as they seem to have no horse type facilities for him), and perhaps no longer make money for them?

I also do not consider being dragged around the country to promote him as the "perfect little horse" well cared for, and a very bad example of a true Miniature horse that IS well proportioned.

Heck, I could do that with Marbles too, if I wanted to campaign her in that way, she is rarer than a dwarf and could probably get into the Guinness World Book Of Records too. But, I would rather make sure that Marbles has a wonderful life and is most and foremost, a horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what your saying but no one knows for sure he is a dwarf...yet...and maybe with the amount of homeless and abused miniatures no one should be promoting any horse no matter how correct you are breeding......but than thats another whole story.....

I agree he is loved and as I said previously, the couple seemed very nice.

Whether he is a dwarf or not, only time will tell I think, however I agree that if the Miniature breed is going to be promoted in a good way, all over the news and tv, I would hope it is with a top quality horse that is conformationally correct and an excellent example of the breed, rather than one simply because it is tiny. And I dont know that 'living in the backyard with the pet goats' is a good way to show folks who dont know that it is ok......

denny10012 - I am so sorry if it was me that upset you..

No not at all Mary Lou, i just thought it was unfair to have so many harsh opinions on people that may very well have his best interest at heart....and at the end of the day there are miniatures out there in much worst situations than that little guy...

Back