Listerine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsesmakeubroke

Reaction score
As someone who frequently turns to home made potions and over the counter treatments to combat various minor horsy problems, this is a new one on me. I'm dying to hear more. Please tell me what things you use Listerine for and how much you dilute it for the various uses. I take it we're talking mouth wash here? My favorite over the counter remedy is Daktaril cream which works wonders on ringworm and was suggested by my chemist. Lamisil, which is supposed to be effective, didn't work nearly as well.

Kate

We use listerine on our show horses (ApHC). We put a 2:1 ratio of listerine:water in a spray bottle and spray it on the top of their tail to stop itching. You have to rub it into the skin on the tail. We do this only with the horses in stalls, that itch their tail. A trainer around our area told us about this. Works pretty well.

We also have a condition/growth mixture that we make that works awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a horse with food allergies. He broke out in scabs head to toe!!! Kept using expensive shampoos to get rid of the scabs and the itching,,,,,,this guy was miserable!!!!!!

It all stopped within an hour of a listerine bath,,,,,,,bucket of water, entire bottle of listerine.

He got two of those baths,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then started to heal.

Wanted to add we used the generic Kroger brand,,,,,,,read, has same ingredients, and $2 a bottle cheaper.

I've used it for over 30 years. And my mouth smells minty fresh :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I don't dilute it. I keep it in a spray bottle.

My favorite use for it is after giving a bath, to spray the legs really good and add a mist to the body. I never have rain-rot. Even after a long winter when I shave the horses in the spring, their coats always look so good. Right now while we are going into winter, spraying the legs after a grooming is a daily thing. I don't get any kind of creeping crud on them where all the winter junk seems to collect.

I also use it for itchy tails.
default_yes.gif
:

We use it on the tails as well.

IF youwant a million dollar shine on manes & tails for the show ring-- keep a bottle of 1/2 listerine & 1/2 baby oil -- put it on minutes before going into the ring. The "SHINE" is unbelievable. I was told this tip by a top trainer. Works well for us.

I also use it to wash out my water buckets, and tanks...keeps the slime at bay really well!

Teresa

Forgot to add, that it doesn't eat my clothes if I splash a little while I'm cleaning...lost alot of clothes to clorox before I started using Listerine. I also get the "generic" kind from the Dollar store.

i purchased a mare with bad bad dry skin, she also had rain rot, {welcome to ireland} where its constantly damp, anyway because i bought her in december it was far to cold to clip, so i sprayed her with listerine, the good stuff,not the cheap stuff, and because its a antibacterial it really worked, it was fantastic, the difference in her coat was unreal, and she smelled all minty and fresh lol

Makes a great sweat!!!

I use it in a spray bottle, straight, and spray on necks before putting on the neck sweat before they go to work. ONLY when they are working ..not standing in their stalls in a regular neck sweat.

As a leg sweat/brace...in standing wraps I put full strength on the tendons and wrap (learned this from the race horse guys)..cheap cheap and works great!

I use it on the tails too!

Kim

It really works on rainrot??! WOW

I've encountered multiple horses with rainrot all up and down their backs and sides- and the people who owned them and whom I was hanging around with at that time really didn't know much how to treat it- they'd pretty much just pull the scabs and brush the horses off really well.

I'm definately going to keep this remedy in mind for that! Thank heavens!

Bleach works well for rainrot too...half thick bleach and half water in a bucket and dip the grooming brush in the mixture and brush onto the horse. Only need to do it every 2 - 3wks,its works brilliantly. It does the trick on mud fever too!
default_smile.png

Don't forget you can use Listerine on dogs/cats, too. My DIL thought I had finally lost it when I told her to use Listerine on a hot spot the dog had dug raw. She laughed and said, "no, really, what can I use?" I told you -- Listerine!
default_wacko.png
: It stopped the itching almost immediately and the spot healed nicely with the daily spray of Listerine in a short time.

Hey, if you are working where there are lots of people -- sickies, etc. -- rinse with Listerine! Besides washing hands, cleaning off phones, etc., it's a very effective help. Listerine will kill so many germs that you inhale that you will be far less likely to get sick. Those little pocket spray containers make it easy to do a few times a day -- oh, nice minty breath, too :lol:

Brilliant...I'm off to stock up on mouth wash! My local pharmasist has finally stopped looking sideways at me when i bought 30 Fletcher's enemas last spring before the foaling season so I'm sure he won't mind the mouth wash sold in bulk. Thanks so much for all your tips. The lovely thing about horses is you never stop finding out new things!

Kate

Oh just try going in and asking for Tetmasol (for Human pubic lice!!!) that's a really good one for all sorts of "nasties " on the horse!!

Let's just say my Pharmacist knows ALL about my horses now - self defence!!

i am going to try this... just gonna pop out and get some.......!!!

amazing the things you can find out hey!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back