Lines of color around butt area

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyHorses

Reaction score
Have you seen light colored hair lines around the butt area like this?

The stripe of hair closest to her 'girl parts' looks light buckskin.

She has white hairs on both sides of top of tail head and a little sprout of white on muzzle and in nostril (as seen in last picture with her 1/2 brother)

If it warms up and I get my new trimmers out to finish this bad trim...I'll find out what else 'lies beneath' LOL!

081.jpg

094.jpg

098.jpg

101.jpg

Please excuse...

-- my dirty, unbrushed horses

---my obnoxious mini gelding hamming it up

---the partial trim

---the wild looking mane on my little 'chia' pet

I expect that she carries the 'mealy' gene which in bays causes the lighter hair at the muzzle often near the eyes , flank area and inside of the legs. Just a guess but once she sheds out I think it will be more obvious.

I agree. To me she looks bay. Just like my weanling filly, Star. She was very red colored with black mane and tail before I trimmed her the first time. This is what she looks like now.

star11.jpg

Dad is Black, Mum is Silver Bay, foal is Bay......may have Pangaré, but not necessarily, lots of Bays have that creamy bit round their nether regions in winter.

I agree Rabbitfizz, it is not absolute that the foal would have pangare (mealy), but if you look at both her dams muzzle and hers it seems likely.

She must have gotten that from her Mom.

The baby has a few white hairs on her muzzle and white hair on both sides of tail head.

Is that a sign she's going to roan?

BTW, that's her half brother in the pictures with her.

(my gelding changed color 3 times before his final color. this is why I always wait so long to register them)

Last edited by a moderator:
For a horse to be a roan it must have a roan parent so your filly won't be a roan. She could carry some sabino roaning but I see no sign of it in either parent. The white hairs you see may just be from the mealy gene or she may carry a rabicano gene which will give white hair at the top of the tail (it is not uncommon in 1/4 horses but I don't really know if it is seen in minis or not)

I agree they do a lot of changing in the first while. I had a colt born here this year who was a golden buckskin at birth, I clipped him out and he was nearly black (I am told by forum members that is normal for a buckskin, I never clipped a buckskin saddle horse so I accept it may be so) and when his coat grew back in it came in cream coloured so I await his spring shed with great curiosity. Will he once again go golden? or will he stay the silvery cream colour of his new coat? Not even sure which I'm hoping for lol.

Latest posts

Back