Lil Bit Has STRIPES!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im no color expert but I dont think a parent has to be a roan to throw roan. its just a great chance. It could be in their lines and show up just because its there in the lines just not a parent. A friend of mine had a bay roan foal from to solids before. BUT one of the parents has a roan g-parent. I think just like other animal cats exspecially, you never really know till its born. You can bred a cat with solid markings to a calico and still end up with solid kittens and theres a lot of them born then just one. And the next litter you can get all calicos. so you never know. Who really knows how many generations it goes back BECAUSE things just happen.

Yes Sentra has a bay roan father BUT a lot of people will say King Supreme was a solid. Pics tell the truth and so will the King Family!

And out of 11 foals my Sentra has had, only 1 is a roan that I know of and only cause the dam was a roan as well.

So dont be surprised that there is'nt a roan somewhere in his linage not to far back that just appered in him and neither of his parents.

just my opinion here. ONLY mother nature knows why....

Also folks have arguerd with me and said that Sentra can not have both the smutty gene and the roan gene for whet ever reason... but look at him, he is both. So again you never know why... it just is!
default_smile.png

Just look at Marbles! she's a 1st (proven) brindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would lay money that his Mama is a Roan, it does not show up much in Buckskin or Dun.

I have a Black Dun (Grullo) mare who has Roan form her mother. Neither the mother nor the present mare showed the roan at all until they were at least four/five years old, and even now you can only tell Mouse is Roan because her coat goes white in Spring- the actual coat just looks Black Dun!

So, the mother passed Roan on to the colt.

Simples.

I agree with rabbitsfizz. I bet the dam has roan and you just can't see it. I have a silver red dun mare who look palomino and I just found out she is roan, but you cannot see it because her cream color 'hides' it. It's there, you just can't really see it. If I looks really closely on her rump where her creamy color is a little bit darker I can see the white hairs mixed it.

Mindylee, roan is a dominant gene which means it always shows up and cannot hide recessively. A horse MUST have at least one parent with roan to produce it. Komokos Little King Supreme was definitely roan. Also, feline color genetics are quite a bit different from equine so can't really be applied here.

he has the same face as my classic bay roan ... hes 2 in this pic (excuse his fat belly)

boys 008.jpg

I agree....Bet the mom carries roan...just can't tell because of the light buckskin color. Does she have a roan parent?

He looks like a Bay Roan. Love the stripes! So cool!

I believe his stripes are coming from the sooty gene or genes. His dam could certainly have that. the sooty gene can show up many diffrent ways. It is believed by some to cause the brindle. In some horses it shows as countershading, but in some it shows in stripes. I don't know if he carries classic roan or not, but may have that as well. He is certainly a different color. Very pretty! The dam could easily be carrying classic roan. It would be hard to see on her and that bloodline does have sooty buckskins.

Lil Bit is Sophias first and only foal. It will be interesting to see what she produces in the future. So sounds like we are all in agreement that Sophia is probably a roan and so is Lil Bit.

So what exactly do I call him....

Sooty bay roan brindle....lol

Or

Bay roan with indeterminate striping

Or

Bay roan

Just trying to get a handle on what color to call him exactly
default_biggrin.png

Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful.

Lil Bit is Sophias first and only foal. It will be interesting to see what she produces in the future. So sounds like we are all in agreement that Sophia is probably a roan and so is Lil Bit.

Or

Or

Bay roan

Just trying to get a handle on what color to call him exactly
default_biggrin.png

Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful.
If he is a roan - he's a bay roan (stripes on roans are common). I'd send pictures to folks...I wasn't sure what Ozymandias was until BOTH brindle registies and Barbara Nevau (I know that's not correct lol) and other brindle breeders ALL told me he was a brindle. He's not a roan but he does have smutty/sooty.

I think he's a bay roan
default_smile.png

I would have to say buckskins are very hard to tell they are roans. My little girl is reg buckskin roan and must folks cant see the roan in her. BUT I see her during every season so for just a split moment during the season changes I do get to see it. Heres her pics!

In the head shot you can see the roan otherwise the only real time you can tell is with a fresh clip job! Goodness I love my little girl!
default_wub.png

I would have to say your boy is a bay roan!

100_1625.jpg

100_1979.jpg

100_2134.jpg

100_2898.jpg

100_3564.jpg

z1.jpg

kaykay said:
He can't be a roan since neither parent is a roan.
That's what I was thinking, but roan is the only color he fit and he did have a roan grandparent on the dam's side. I'm fascinated to learn that buckskins tend to hide true roan! Until you guys said that and posted examples I was going to ask if he'd been parentage qualified as there seemed to be some funny business going on!
default_laugh.png

MindyLee said:
im no color expert but I dont think a parent has to be a roan to throw roan. its just a great chance. It could be in their lines and show up just because its there in the lines just not a parent.
Sorry, roan is a dominant gene just like grey. In order to pass something on a horse must have it, and if they have a dominant gene they will show it. Only recessive traits appear to skip generations.

jsites said:

Or

Or

Bay roan
How about "neat?"
default_biggrin.png
default_thumbup.gif

Leia

Latest posts