Lil Bit Has STRIPES!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsites

Reaction score
Last fall I posted pics of my colt Lil Bit of Awesome because I was confused on his color. At that time he looked bay but had alot of light color on his nose and under his tail. His dam is a buckskin and his sire is a bay overo. We came to the conclusion that he was probably pangre.

Yesterday I clipped him and was very surprised. (Please excuse the poor hair cut...lol I wasn't planning to take pictures) He still has the pangre or light color on his nose and under his tail, but he looks roan with stripes. I first thought he may be a dun but he doesn't really have a dorsal stripe. Could he be brindle? The stripes on his neck are much darker than those on his body. He also has barring on his back legs. Will these stripes darken as he gets older and will you see more stripes on his body.

lilbitstripes017.jpg

lilbitstripes030.jpg

lilbitstripes023.jpg

lilbitstripes028.jpg

Roan. Stripes like that are common on roans...google and you'll see some
default_biggrin.png

There is a roan mini in Australia (I think) that has stripes just like yours!!! Does he have Komokos Little King Supreme in his bloodline?

Last edited by a moderator:
Roan

I would say grulla before a brindle but since their is no distinct line going down his back I would have to say blue/bay roan.

I'm going with roan with indeterminate striping.

Check out this picture..it's exactly like yours

http://www.elcascabe...epictures2.html
Thanks! Hes does look exactly like my Lil Bit! I have two roans and they do not have stripes. Hes sire is definitly not roan so I guess he got that from his dam who was a buckskin. How do you tell if a buckskin is a roan?

Sire: Cross Country Call Me Awesome (Son of Lazy N Redboy, grandson of Rowdy)

Awesome12_08a.jpg

Dam: Serenas Starlight Sophia

Sophia's pedigree includes Longview Royal T, Landry's Charlie Boy, Shadow Oaks Cock Robin, and Bozeman's Frosty Feather.

sophia%20fall%20web.jpg

Wow, mom and dad are soooo handsome
default_wub.png

I don't see roan in momma. I'm not that familiar with it but I thought it needed to be in a parent to produce it. Mom doesn't have a coon tail does she?

ROAN!!!

I to have a stallion who has these same markings AND he is also a double bred King Supreme SON! Little Kings Sentra Supreme, and he is a smutty buckskin roan...

Here's some pics.

DSC02915_cropped_6x4_sm.jpg

DSC03004_cropped_4x6_sm.jpg

pp.bmp

ppp.bmp

pppp.bmp

ppppp.bmp

Attachments

• pp.bmp
    2 MB · Views: 110
  • ppp.bmp
    2.3 MB · Views: 111
  • pppp.bmp
    2.3 MB · Views: 124
  • ppppp.bmp
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
Wow, mom and dad are soooo handsome
default_wub.png

I don't see roan in momma. I'm not that familiar with it but I thought it needed to be in a parent to produce it. Mom doesn't have a coon tail does she?
Thanks!

I know you have to have a roan parent to produce a roan thats why I was so confused. If she has white in her tail it is very little, but she does have the frosting on her mane.

Hi Diane,

This may help:

"Grullo is a color of horses in the dun family, characterized by tan-gray or mouse-colored hairs on the body, often with shoulder and dorsal stripes and black barring on the lower legs. In this coloration each individual hair is mouse-colored, unlike a roan which is composed of a mixture of dark and light hairs. "

Lil Bit was born looking bay but over time the white hairs started to show in his coat. I didn't know about the stripes until I clipped him.

He cant be a roan since neither parent is a roan.

Im not good with dilute colors but I would suspect dun or grulla? Id ask Lewella. LOL when in doubt that what I do
default_smile.png

Lil Bit is totally clipped, all 25" of him...lol His head is much darker than the rest of his body just like a roan. He can't be dun because he doesn't have a dun stripe, he doesn't fit the definition for grulla because he has white hair mixed through his coat, and he doesn't fit the definition for roan because he doesn't have a roan parent.....so where does he fit?
default_wacko.png

ROAN!!!

I to have a stallion who has these same markings AND he is also a double bred King Supreme SON! Little Kings Sentra Supreme, and he is a smutty buckskin roan...

Here's some pics.
I think your right Mindy. They do look alot alike. So if he is roan how did that happen?

I think your right Mindy. They do look alot alike. So if he is roan how did that happen?
I'm presuming you don't have any roan studs that may have accidentally had a rendezvous with the mare?

I'm presuming you don't have any roan studs that may have accidentally had a rendezvous with the mare?
I do have a roan stallion, but have only owned him for about three months. At that time the only stallion I had was Awesome.

Latest posts

Back