Light sensitivity?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Bits

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old mare. Who this morning passed out on the ties, fell down and got up a little wobbly, and then acted fine. I am almost certain that it is caused by changing in light?

I happened once this past winter when it was extremely bright taking her out of the dark barn she got wobbly and the same thing happened. About a month ago my daughter brought her in from out side on a hot bright sunny day and the same thing happened. She also has ice blue eyes and is very nervous. I have been suspect that there was a sight issue, I had her eyes checked by the vet and he couldn't see anything wrong. She seem worse on the left side than on the right. She was extremely head shy when we first got her, and is much better now she can still be a little flighty. She does go over jumps with out any problems. So I don't think it is an actual sight problem, but a light sensitive issue. We have had her since October.

I do know there are some pressure points in the top of there head and thought that maybe that was the case, but I am leaning more toward a light sensitive issue. has any one else had an issue like this?

Nervous system disorders can cause light sensitivity. The one that comes to mind is Chiari Malformation.

Good luck with your mare - hope she feels better soon.

I would consider how this is related to food too. Could she be having a low blood sugar? Just a thought.

Barb

Clover poisoning can also cause light sensitivity

She is getting straight timothy hay, and I feed Purina Miniature and Pony feed. Prior to that they were all on Strategy. They are on a dry lot. she is the picture of health and is also the boss mare in the paddock. Im almost thinking I should check her for Lyme's.

Latest posts

Back