LICE!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
default_saludando.gif

I know this topic has been posted about numerous times but I do need help!

My colt, out of my rescue mare Freedom, is 5 months old now and is extremely itchy!!!! He is rubbing his shoulders raw! I have dusted him and so far have given him the first dose of ivermectin(plan to do the once every two weeks for 3 doses thing) but he has found no relief as of yet! He has a VERY thick coat and I really wish I could clip him but I'm afraid he would be freezing even with blankets (?). We are in Massachusetts and it's been going down to about 32 degrees most nights and warming up to 55-60 during the days.

No other horses are scratching by the way. I will post pics of his rub spots later today.

Could it be something other then lice? Don't know where he would have got them as he hasn't been anywhere!

Any tips and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you actually see lice? You can see lice.

Is it scaley or scabby? If so, it might be mange, not lice.

Thanks Angela, I will try to get a better look later today he's pretty squirmy so been hard to REALLY take a close look. I did have a gelding a few years back that had lice and I was only able to see ONE and I felt I had been lucky to find it.

Again, I will take some pics and post them later today!

Thanks a bunch!

Tammy

Thanks Angela, I will try to get a better look later today he's pretty squirmy so been hard to REALLY take a close look. I did have a gelding a few years back that had lice and I was only able to see ONE and I felt I had been lucky to find it. Again, I will take some pics and post them later today!

Thanks a bunch!

Tammy
They would be most prevelant in the mane and at the tail head. They are really hard to see unless he has white hair in those places or unless he's really loaded (overcrowding seems to make them easier to find). Watch the rest of your horses as they can spread. I was told that fleas that "live" on horses can't come from other animals and can't be spread to humans (I mean can't "live" on humans). It's unfortunate that it's so cold. The best thing would be a flea shampoo. However, diligent use of the flea powder in cold weather and the wormer combination should work.

If it is lice get the stuff for dogs for ticks and fleas that you squeeze by the shoulderblades.Get the size for large dogs and use 1 tube at the base of the mane and 1 at the top of the tail.It worked for me since my stallion got lice from the bird nests in his run in shed.The ingredient you need is pyrethin Spelling?works great It worked for me.

Latest posts

Back