Liberty Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
Well, I have been working with my boys this winter about showing off. Bentley is perfect (to me) as always, Devil finally realized that is better to trot pretty than to gallop like a wild man in the ring. But Jazzy needed lots of encouragement to do his best. I praised him when he did his big trot by cheering him in with "WOO WOO WOO" and "OW OW". It may be stupid but now whenever I cheer him on, he does his big trot, tosses his head and shows off.

My question is, when I'm in the ring as the handler, is there a rule against ME cheering him on? It might be a stupid question but I was just curious.

Thanks as always!!

Thats a good question and have wondered about that myself.

And if I might add another question to this... Can you whislte or call for them when the music stops?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bailey, I don't thing their is a rule about yelling and making noise but it might turn some judges off. The horses that do the best need very little encouragement. Not all horses are good at Liberty, Just because a horse is a nice mover does not meen he will excell in Liberty.

Liberty is my favorite class, I wouldn't yell or hollar but you can give visual cues, the less movement the better. I have of course when the music stops asked verbaly for my horse to whoa and to come, using their name. I always have placed well. I'm a senior and can't dance around the ring, so the less movement the better. Build up a bond with your horses and always reward when they come for the catch as it is important in liberty class. You might try kissng or clucking for the differnt gaits, such as clucking for trot, and kissing for gallop.

Back