Liberty Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone explain to this rookie exactly what liberty classes are? Do they do certain things? What are they judged on? Thanks.

As an avid Liberty exhibitor and owner of several Liberty HOF'rs ... and more to come... I prefer EVENINGS! Since I usually show more than one horse in the class... its WAY too earlier at 8am to hoof it back and forth to the stalls to exchange horses.

I believe there are more spectators, rather it be other exhibitors or the public in the evening time... to whoop and holler. Besides... who but other exhibitors usually 'purchase' horses at a show??? Realistically, the general public usually only shows up midday anyway. I don't think I've ever seen one before 10 or 11am. : )

Since that entry usually grows as the day progresses.... you may cut yourself short of entries with a morning class... AND less likely to 'throw off' the rest of the day's schedule if it's in the evening.

I just wanted to express my self again, as I love liberty but I LOVE my halter classes more... If liberty was ever offered in the morning, I simply wouldn't enter it..

Last summer I showed in one show that that had liberty going still at 12:00AM! And I still showed in it
default_wink.png

Could someone explain to this rookie exactly what liberty classes are? Do they do certain things? What are they judged on? Thanks.

Liberty is a class where a horse exhibits how well it can move by running free (at liberty) to music.

Two handlers may enter the arena with the horse. You choose your music, you have a 1 1/2 mins to show the horse. You can signal with whips, but you can't touch the horse. You want the horse to show all gaits ( collected trot, extended trot, & canter). When the music stops, you have a max of 2 mins to catch and halter the horse.

The spectators cheer and clap for the horses and really get them going.

Why does it have to be either at the beginning or the end? Here's my take . . . .

I don't want it at the beginning, and if it was, I wouldn't show in it. I work to hard to clean up my horses for halter and showmanship and I am not going to risk them getting nasty for a class that is usually so full it's hard to be competitive in.

I don't want it at the end of the day either, because the horses are tired, the exhibitors are tires, everyone is spent.

We have a local show here, and liberty is held right after the halter classes, and before the driving classes. Exhibitors that compete in driving do their liberty runs first, so that they can be hitching up while the class finishes out it's entries, that way, we don't need a tack hold.

Why not the middle of the day?

Well, my vote was going to be for the end of the day. I too don't want my horses getting dirty before halter classes, and yes they do get dirty even if they don't roll. Also, if you haven't over done your classes, it doesn't matter how late it is. I have done liberty at 3:00am at a show and my horse was rearing before I took the halter off and was so full of himself, I actually didn't catch him at the show.

Matt, you have an interesting point. Never thought of it being in the middle, but sure worth thinking about.

I am a morning person and so are my horses. They are fresh and full of it then.

I am not fond of any late night classes, except of course with the hype from Nationals/World. Most of the shows in Texas are in the summer (as we have no winter to speak of), so the heat makes it a very long day.

Evening!!

I don't enter liberty if it is first thing in the morning, so if you're trying to cut down on your liberty entries, well you'll succeed in my case.
default_wink.png

I think it's a fun way to end the day, and you get lots more crowd participation in the evenings as long as the show doesn't run into some ridiculous hour of the night!

Echo Acres said:
Also, if you haven't over done your classes, it doesn't matter how late it is.
Unfortunately sometimes there's no choice if the class list puts everything you enter on one day. I've had shows where I had one class the first day, one class the last day, and six or seven working classes (including liberty) on Saturday!
default_new_shocked.gif
It's terrible.
default_no.gif
Between the heat and four or five driving classes on top of jumping and obstacle, by the time liberty comes around my horse is exhausted and just wants to go back to his stall.

I know it's nearly impossible to accomodate all kinds of showers, but please people- try not to put all the classes for one driving division on one day!
default_pray.gif

Leia

I see both sides to having Liberty at the beginning or end. If it is at the beginning a horse could potentially get all dirty before the halter classes. I also agree there are less exhibitors there to watch. If it is at the end it is very hot and the horses are tired and may not perform so well. Also, many exhibitors just want to go home and may not wait for the class.

My daughters horse, Belle, loves liberty but we find at the end of the day after doing halter and a handful of performance classes she just doesn't show off like in the morning. We took her to a show last fall and the liberty class happened to be the first class. We literally took her off the trailer and put her in the ring right after arriving. Seeing all the new sights and sounds and being a nice cool fall morning she was totally full of herself. She performed the best she ever has. She looked fantastic! So what about putting Liberty after the halter classes? Maybe right before lunch? This way it isn't too hot, they got through the halter classes and they can blow of some steam before the performance classes. Just a thought...

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
Echo Acres said:
Also, if you haven't over done your classes, it doesn't matter how late it is.
Unfortunately sometimes there's no choice if the class list puts everything you enter on one day. I've had shows where I had one class the first day, one class the last day, and six or seven working classes (including liberty) on Saturday!
default_new_shocked.gif
It's terrible.
default_no.gif
Between the heat and four or five driving classes on top of jumping and obstacle, by the time liberty comes around my horse is exhausted and just wants to go back to his stall.

I know it's nearly impossible to accomodate all kinds of showers, but please people- try not to put all the classes for one driving division on one day!
default_pray.gif

Leia
I don't know what the shows are like in your area, but we get a premium list in advance here. So when I enter, I take into consideration how the classes are laid out and that determines how many and what I enter. If I don't like what is offered, I pick a different show. (there is not that many in our area) My point was if you put them in 30 classes in one day and then expect them to do liberty after, they might be too tired to show their stuff. I have done halter, jumping and driving in one day with both adults and youth showing these classes and still done liberty with that horse. But he was conditioned well and by no means overly worked that day.

I have not been to a show yet where they have not had all the classes for one driving division back to back on the same day. So if I showed it Ammy, open, and stakes and my son showed in youth then he would drive 4 classes in a row. I quit showing ammy to give him a break once my son started driving.

Just thought of this also...if liberty was in the morning, less people most likely would not watch as they would use that time to prep horses (bath, razor ext) for the evening halter and driving classes.....

I am only willing to put a horse in a Liberty class at night as an exhibitor (unless I was only going to take a particular horse for Liberty and nothing else and I have never done that and, more than likely, I will never do that), I only like to watch a Liberty class at night as a spectator (it just doesn't "do anything" for me in the morning as a spectator), and I have only ever worked a Liberty class at night as part of show staff/help (it's like a pick-me-up after a long, exhausting day of working a show).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back