Letter to the editor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I am sending this to the Journal today.

I would like to thank our board of directors for implementing their new and open policy and finally making it very clear as to how they feel about the value of the AMHR Miniature Horse and its' pedigree.

When I first found out about the lowering of the hardship fees, I was very hurt and felt it was a slap in the face to those of us who have been loyal for all these years. Many of us AMHR breeders have gone without, just to keep our AMHR paperwork in order. Now, to let the owners of a 100.00 not inspected - hard shipped horse enjoy the glory and reap the benefits of owning an AMHR horse is, I feel unfair. We have worked for years to give them a value.

However, I like to be told the truth and I guess I would rather have my feelings hurt than be used and patronized.

I am not totally against hard shipping horses, for a very high fee, if the quality is there and they meet strict requirements at three years old, but to do so with no inspections for 100.00, makes it pretty obvious as to what their view of the AMHR breeder is.

Again, I thank our representatives for their honesty and finally giving it to us straight.

Renee LaBarre Reiten

Lucky Hart Ranch

Last edited by a moderator:
I still fail to see how this 1/2 price hardshipping has such a negative effect on your breeding program and the value of your AMHR horses. I just don't see it that way.

It is only $100 now to hardship a mare or gelding. It was $200 before. You have states before that this means that an AMHR horse is only worth $100 now. But--by that token, an AMHR horse was before worth only $200.

I'm quite sure that on average you have been selling your AMHR horses for much more than $200. I am quite sure that you will continue to sell those AMHR horses for much more than $200 even this year when hardshipping costs only $100.

I agree with Castle Rock. I think it's a good thing what AMHR has done. I bought a stallion a couple years ago that was AMHA only registered and I hardshipped him into AMHR and paid the full price... I just wish I had waited to do it until this year and saved some money. But on that note, i will say, AMHR means so much to me, that I was willing to spend the money. On the other hand, i do have a few AMHR only mares, that I won't spend the money to register AMHA... (did it once, won't do it again) (oh BTW, the stallion that I hardshipped into AMHR was a long way from a $100 horse)

I guess I just don't understand either. The ASPC ponies still have to be inspected in order to be hardshipped into AMHR and no for AMHA horses you don't but if you think it needs to be done send in a proposal. I would vote for that. I know its not going to affect the hardship for them this year but I don't see how they can make it mandatory for this 1/2 off sale when its never been mandatory to begin with.

I think this just benifits the registry and hopefully it will bring in new members. Especially now because you have to be a member to do any paperwork period, the registry will loose money from that choice.

I am also very sorry that you feel that way, but it is a blessing for me. My family has been breeding minis since the late 70's, and none of us feel cheated. It is for one year and during a hard time for everyone. I will personally be able to hardship quite a few which makes me very happy since I am switching to AMHR primarily.

It has no affect on my breeding program, I will do as I please. But, can't you people see beyond yourselves and down the line 20 years? This is not about me, I'm old and about done. This is about respectability and credibility of the registry.. Have we been downgraded so long that we can't get used to the fact that we are on top and that the AMHR is the one registry you have to have and they should be worth more than 100 dollars. They can be doubled or tripled or registered 20 times, but if you don't have AMHR you are in a pickle. We finally command the respect we deserve, except from our directors. What they are telling the breeders is that generation after generation of honest AMHR bookwork and timely stud reports and transfers and permanent papers were worth nothing.

Yes, AMHR is the one you have to have now, but it won't be that way for long, if enough people see this as I do, Why bother to register?

When the directors become more interested in being nice to a few people that didn't ever feel that they needed AMHR, than to their long time breeders, they had better start watching the pennies. If the association doesn't back its breeders they fold. Now, maybe there is enough of the doubles and hardship horses coming in to keep things going for a few years, I don't know. but I don't think too many years.

Another thing to think about. Within our own association we insist that the Shetland Pony be inspected and measured, but we let AMHA and Fallabellas in with out ever measuring them or inspecting them. Ah- heck give em two sets, one in case they find a horse that looks pretty close,

I am quite sure I am going to get flamed for this; but what the Hey-it's our opinions. You'd think they were going back to hardshipping ANY mini (speaking as in 'no papers at all') with this outcry. They are simply trying IMO to give us some relief to the pocketbook in making those horses with just AMHA papers able to have AMHR papers also; FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO DO SO. If you are a breeder, this is a plus as I see it; since some people may wish to purchase dual registered horses for breeding/showing. Are you going to go to Walmart and complain betcause the they have lower prices? Sorry! MO.
default_torch.gif
default_mlala.gif

Bumping myself: Sorry LaVern=reread your post and realized I had taken it the wrong way! I apologize for jumping the gun
default_nono.gif
. I do feel lowering the fees helps with the economy and if one were to have purchased a nice AMHA horse and really wanted to show, etc. AMHR; then hardshipping is needed-and again-in this economy-it helps to have a "discount" of the old fee. (I must learn to read through two or three times before adding my two cents worth!
default_footinmouth.gif
).

Let me get this straight, the $100 hardship fee is for horses from AMHA only or just any horse ?

You are absolutely right about going to Walmart Did you know that for many years we were called the Walmart Registry. Some people didn't like it, but I did. Walmart, with good management became the biggest. In fact they even came up with the idea that if you want to do business with Sams Club you even pay to give them your money. Brilliant.

Sorry but I only see it as a positive. You seem to think that the only horses that will be registered through the hardship program will be 'junk'. That's a shame that you feel that way. I would have liked to have had a break on fees when I registered my A only horses with R also (and would like it visa versa, but so far no chance there).

I also disagree with the comment regarding if you dont have AMHR, you are in a pickle. I know MANY who have A horses only and do just fine. Is it nice to be double registered? Sure, but I dont find that it's a MUST for some folks, and it has not put them in any 'pickle'. To each his own.

I think it was nice that AMHR thought enough of their members, to give them a break on hardship fees, and also thought it was a smart move to attract new people to increase membership, who will get involved, due to the lower fees. Perhaps those new people with the 'junkie' horse will then get hooked and decide to purchase better horses to complete or breed with. And who are they going to purchase them from?

I also am very sorry that you feel this way. My entire herd is AMHA and most are also AMHR registered. I do have a handful of mares that only have AMHA papers. I have never had any trouble selling their foals as AMHA registered only, but I have intended on hardshipping them into the AMHR. The discount is sure a blessing with the economy being the way it is. Also mother nature has thrown so many horse owners a curve ball with droughts, no hay, etc. I think enough of my mares to spend the $200, but am very grateful for the discount and personally think it speaks volumes about the AMHR registry to do this at this time, in a good way I mean. If AMHA were to lower their fees, I think it would be wonderful, although I have built my herd around their registry and paid full price.

But, can't you people see beyond yourselves and down the line 20 years?
Actually I for one am not looking at myself at all, I am speaking of what I see as the big picture, and I still say I see this half price hardshipping fee as a good thing. I see it as a good thing that 20 years from now these hardshipped horses--be they ASPC or AMHA or Falabella--will have been hardshipped into AMHR in 2012. Any way you look at it, it means more money for the registry--more transfers, more foal registrations, more revenue for the local shows & even Nationals perhaps. And yes, as I see it those horses will also bring new qualities into AMHR and those qualities will surely be good ones in many cases. Will there be some bad qualities brought too? Quite possibly, but the fact is that there are horses who have been AMHR "forever" who also have bad qualities to them--more hardshipped horses.
It has no affect on my breeding program, I will do as I please.
I have to point out that on an earlier thread you, Renee, were the one who was complaining that this hardshipping sale meant that your AMHR horses were worth only $100, because that is what it now costs to get AMHR papers....which if that were true really does mean that up until now AMHR horses have been worth only $200. It is you who has been saying that you are no longer going to bother registering your foals unless there is some specific or good reason for doing so. That very much sounds to me that you are making this hardshipping fee "sale" have an effect on your breeding program.

I feel that it devalues our horses in the long run, even if it is only a matter of pride. How would you feel Minimor if late one night a few of the directors decided to open up the Shetland Registry for 100.00 bucks apiece out of the blue. How would you feel?

It has not affected my breeding at all, but it has affected my paperwork. Many of my registrations apps. are filed in my desk if I ever need them or anyone wants to pay for them. Stud reports have to be sent in. But, I may as well use that money as the Registry until it has to be done- if ever. Hey, maybe in 20 years they will open it up to the Lucky Hart Horse for 50 bucks.

Let me get this straight, the $100 hardship fee is for horses from AMHA only or just any horse ?
First of all its not $100 for everybody. They are cutting the fees in half.

Mares/Geldings $200 - 2012 price $100

Stallions $400 - 2012 prce $200

Plus the cost or regular registration.

This sale is for AMHA, ASPC, and Fabella registered horses. AMHR no longer accepts unregistered stock.

The only way to solve this is to close the registry and Lavern if you feel so strongly about this submit a proposal for Convention this year, and get member signatures who feel the same way as you.

Renee, opening up the Shetland registry is entirely different from reducing fees for AMHR....ASPC is not a hardship registry...like it or not AMHR is a height registry and hardshipping has always been allowed.

I would be more sympathetic to your complaints if AMHR had now been reopened to any and all horses that measure under 38". As it is though, nothing has changed in terms of requireents for registration--just like last year the hardshipped horse must already have AMHA, ASPC or Falabella papers...the only difference is the fee has been cut in half. No horses will be added that couldn't have been added last year, or that couldn't be added next year.

Be careful that you don't get stung by not registering foals each year. For all you know there could be a rule change proposal that gets passed, making it that foals must be registered by a certain age and if they aren't they must be DNAd before they can have papers. Then you would have a lot of extra costs. Or what if they decided to close hardshipping AND pass a rule that says horses cannot be registered after age 2....and there you are with 5 years worth of foals that don't have papers & now must be registered all at once.

Breeders who do not register their foals each years generally hurt no one but themselves.

Not my problem or concern--I will have one AMHR baby in 2012 and that one will be registered before it's a year old, just like always.

You are absolutely right about going to Walmart Did you know that for many years we were called the Walmart Registry. Some people didn't like it, but I did. Walmart, with good management became the biggest. In fact they even came up with the idea that if you want to do business with Sams Club you even pay to give them your money. Brilliant.

I am thinking the same thing about AMHR... They are Brilliant in doing this, It should bring in more revenue. (plus making it easier on the pocketbook of members) I like that. If I had any amha only horses right now, I would be taking advantage of it. JMHO, I would like to give a pat on the back who ever had this idea!

Minimor, I asked you how you would feel you didn't answer and it has been done before. How would you feel?

We don't have to close the registry to up the hard shipping fees in line with AMHA and ask for inspection, at least height and two balls.

Twenty head of horses went out of here in the last few weeks. No papers and good homes for fair money.

And we already have to pay a fee to give them our money, it is called our membership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Renee, you have always been a highly respected breeder in this industry and I am sure you will continue to be. I wish this didn't bother you so bad, but obviously it does. It is a wonderful opportunity and savings for several people who take their breeding programs just as serious as you do. A horse is worth so much more than the set of papers that it carries, or at least they are to me. I don't really think there is any breeder out there that will hurt the registry financially or otherwise by boycotting and withholding their registrations. I truly hope that something is said or done by someone that can make you see the forest for the trees regarding this situation. That set of papers did not give your horses their conformation, brilliance and beauty. You did that with your breeding decisions. They will still be worth the same regardless of this hardship issue.

Oh, My Goodness SLV if there ever was a post that could make me change my mind on a subject that was it. I think I will start to cry. That was the nicest post I have ever read. And I agree, what I do with my little bunch will not make one bit of difference to the registry or to as how the board views straight AMHR breeders. But, I feel that I owe the little AMHR horse so much that I must make a stand for them. I too, have a few AMHA horses that I would save 3- 4 hundred dollars on. But what is that compared to having to face the girls and say well guess they still think your papers are worthless, even if you have produced National Grand Champions.

Back