Let's see your all time favorite standard horses!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
I've loved all my horses of course, but there are the ones that are just that 'special horse' that can never be replaced. Let's see pics of your favorite standard size horse and tell use why they meant so much!!

My favourite standard horse that I currently own is SPH Phancyphire. I bred her and owned her dam. She was born June 10, 1998 and will be 13 this year. How the time flies. Phancy and I have been through a lot together, from showing at Class A arabian shows, Eastern Canadian Breeders to local fairs. She is very versatile doing everything from jumping to gymkhana.
PhancyECB.jpg
Phancykeyhole.jpg
. I also sent this mare for training with a arabian trainer here in Quebec.

I have been offered $10,000 for this mare, my parents thought I was nuts for saying no, but when you have a horse you know well and enjoy no amount of money could make me part with her. She is also a great mom, having produced a colt(gelded) in 2002, a filly in 2004 and a filly in 2010. She is again in foal for 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are in for a story!

Well it was June of 09 my last day of school my freshman year. i came home and both my parents were acting funny. So I just sat down to watch some tv when my mom said we are going to look at a horse for you. I broke down. (It had been so long since I had a riding horse of my own and i missed it.) See earlier that morning before school I showed my mom and ad online for him and left the name and number by the phone mostly as a joke and went off to school. I guess she couldn't stop thinking about it and finally went to talk to my dad about it. So we got in the truck and drove 2 1/2 hours one way to see him.

My first thought of him when i saw him was he looked alot smaller the 14.2 maybe because he was in a barn full of warmbloods! The owner (Audrey) told me all about him and showed me how bombproof he was. I was already in love. Finally I jumped up on him bareback and road him around the arena in a halter and leadline! Then I put on his saddle and bridle. After riding him for almost 2 hours, I looked to my mom and just nodded. She then walked off with my dad and Audrey to pay for him. They were nice enough to deliver him the very next morning! I couldn't sleep a wink that night!

So he arrived around 8 am! I showed him around and he met my mini and welsh. Then we said our goodbyes to Audrey and her daughter. After they left I found my old saddle and bridle and put it on him and took him right on the trail! He was amazing! Most people would let their new horse settle in and would be afraid to take them out right about, but something about him told me he would be perfect. He was too!

I rode him all summer and we had an un-breakable bond. He was my world. I thought i had struck gold! But he was always tripping out on the trails...I thought he was just a bit lazy...and he seemed to be losing sight in one eye....he would spook everytime I went to see him...it was as if he didn't see me coming! So one afternoon in September we were out on the trail for a quick ride as i had to get back to get ready for my homecoming dance. We were going along when he suddenly stopped! A guy was on a mountain bike coming down the trail...Buddy whipped around and took off down the trail...I couldn't get a hold of the reins quick enough..before we hit a tree sideways..upon impact I was thrown off him. He then went off into the puckerbrush tripped and did 2 summersaults and landed on his side while his saddle got stuck under a fallen tree. He didn't move. I was balling and trying to get to him and I was shouting "My baby is dead!" I got to him and he was alive but knew enough not to thrash! The guy had come to help me..I ripped his saddle off and he was able to get up.. I said my thanks to the guy and walked Buddy home. He had ripped some fur right off his forehead and it was bloody..he has some cuts on his chest and legs but otherwise fine. I was fine just a sore back and dirty hands. I was mostly in shock.

About a month later things had just gotten worse...we had the farrier out to check him out and to see if he could figure out why he was always tripping. He didn't know. I took him on one last trail ride one day and he was so spooked the whole time I didn't dare to even trot him! Which hurt because I loved to gallop on him or even canter him as when he ran his double sided mane looked like he had wings and I felt like a princess when I rode him. I walked him home and untacked him crying. i knew what I was going to do. I called up Audrey and asked if she would like him back as a pasture pet. I knew he wouldn't be happy here as he would be alone down in the grassy pasture by himself as my other two couldn't have grass and at least at her house there would be grandkids that could ride him. So about a week later I said Good bye to my boy...I cried and cried for 2 weeks. I got a call one night and Audrey told me though sobs that he was going to be put down. She had the vet out...he had 2 kinds of cancer...one of the brain and blood. Then when they opened his mouth he had a huge hole up there! I cried for days just thinking about how careless I must have been to not notice that!
default_no.gif

So he was put down at 1:05p 11-16-09 He was Just 9 years old. I wasn't able to be there when she did it. But She sent me a big lock of his mane and it is hanging in my room next to a picture of me and him. I miss him everyday...I wish I had been able to send in his papers as I had picked a name out for him that summer... "Heart Of Gold" He truly had one too.
default_wub.png
He can never be replaced he touch my heart and never left! I love him to this very day and still have his stall sign hanging in my barn.

So sorry for such a long story but I felt you would like to know all of it
default_smile.png

fbvvjo.jpg
2d10d51.jpg

jsoty0.jpg

I had to put my first mini down a few months ago and a guy that boards on our farm had a beautiful gelding that I loved from the day he brought him. The boarder wants to do endurance riding and his horse Swade didn't have the heart for it,he's kinda lazy. Swade also started getting a bit of attitude, I believe he was just being pushed to hard. Long story short the day I had to put my sweet little Emma down the boarder handed me Swades papers
default_new_shocked.gif
The boarder found a Arabian that he loves and I have a great new friend named Swade
default_aktion033.gif

Photo0063.jpg

I had the "one in a million horse" (had been told that over the years)...but she was put down a few years ago. Recently, I purchased "Soleil" (a dash for cash grandaughter), and she is catching my heart more and more. Today a neighbor visted so I saddled her up and let him ride. He's a novice rider, and she was lazy today. I've been blessed to find such a nice horse. I took this photo of them...

200191_198272693537261_100000635963601_581806_7965741_n.jpg

i have my 'big' heart horse, but he's no riding horse! he's a pulling draft horse that weighs 2,000lbs and he's my big pet when he's not working! he's the sweetest guy and i love him! he's 9yrs old and has a gorgeous head and body, he's very refined and small as drafts go. here he is:

in winter woolies

IMG_0009.jpg

during pulling season

Misty067.jpg

Misty065.jpg

Beautiful horses and stories you guys.
default_smile.png

I currently have my all time favorite horse! Izzy is a coming 7 year old Fjord and I've had her since she was a weanling. I've trained her myself and though she's far from perfect, I'm very proud of her and love her very much.
default_smile.png

YVH-1.jpg

show.jpg

-Kristie

i have my 'big' heart horse, but he's no riding horse! he's a pulling draft horse that weighs 2,000lbs and he's my big pet when he's not working! he's the sweetest guy and i love him! he's 9yrs old and has a gorgeous head and body, he's very refined and small as drafts go. here he is:

in winter woolies

IMG_0009.jpg

during pulling season

Misty067.jpg

Misty065.jpg

OMG!!! I am in LOVE with your belgian!
default_wub.png
I don't ride anymore - doctor said no more after my second concussion - so I rehomed my riding horse about 5 years ago. Her name was Janie and she was a 17.1h, 2000lb belgian. She was primarily a working horse before I got her, but I never drove her, just rode her western around my farm and a couple of miles up the road to the park. She was such a gentle giant. She now pulls the hay wagon at a popular trail riding place here in MO. She drives single and double and driving is really her forte. I really miss her, but she would be just a pasture pet if I still had her and she really preferred to work.

OMG!!! I am in LOVE with your belgian!
default_wub.png
I don't ride anymore - doctor said no more after my second concussion - so I rehomed my riding horse about 5 years ago. Her name was Janie and she was a 17.1h, 2000lb belgian. She was primarily a working horse before I got her, but I never drove her, just rode her western around my farm and a couple of miles up the road to the park. She was such a gentle giant. She now pulls the hay wagon at a popular trail riding place here in MO. She drives single and double and driving is really her forte. I really miss her, but she would be just a pasture pet if I still had her and she really preferred to work.

i was raised around drafts and they are pretty awesome! my first riding horse at age 8 was a draft and he taught me the most important rule when riding....EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED lol. ironicly, my first fall off him was caused by him spooking and running after a mini mare that was walking down the road...and she was in season so he reacted like any late gelded 20yr old would, reared me off, took off after her and caused a traffic jam
default_rolleyes.gif
no one was hurt, i only had bruises. i was riding him bareback and sat the rear pretty well until he came down, then i slipped and fell off
default_laugh.png

he wasnt the best kids horse at all. ran me through the forest at a breakneck fast trot(cutting my face up), wouldnt listen to me AT ALL under saddle but the second you put an adult on him he was good as gold! we ended up giving him to an old guy that wanted a pasture ornament because even with a 'breakjaw' bit i still couldnt stop him and at the time was fed up and done with riding. He passed three yrs ago at age 25, he lost all his teeth and wouldnt eat anymore:(

Latest posts

Back