Lets see those STRAWBERRY ROANS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And i got theses names and colors from his registration paper so they are all correct
default_rolleyes.gif
: Papers are wrong more often than not, it's the sad truth, just like Kay said. Even if both his parents were roan, that doesn't change anything. the two were just homozygous for roan, and neither passed it down.

Apparently one of them carried Sabino (could be evident with facial markings on either of the parents).

I really like Sabinos, I'd be happy to own one myself. Beautiful horses everybody.

wel he has the darker points on his legs and head and his blaze does not go over his eyes and he doesnt have a white spot on his lower lip!?!?!?!?!!?!

l_c166b74cd72b4290932aa5b157cd96fe.jpg

My horse (newly gelded :aktion033: ) BuckWheat is a silver bay roan. This isn't the greatest picture of him, but you can see the darker legs and solid color head. He is a carbon copy of his mama.

279547819.jpg

276158928.jpg

Roans are cool because they look different all year round.

Your horse is cute!
default_yes.gif
:

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are 2 of my bay roans Little Kings Buck King he is a strong roan producer I think he is a good example of the roan his points and head are really promient bay.His buckskin roans are really unusual.

LittleKingsBuckKing.jpg

LittleKingsBuckKingaBuckerooson.jpg

This is a yearling son of BK he is also a dark bay roan.

CanterburyBlueBarron1.jpg

Cnv0105.jpg

I think this buckskin is going to roan out but, not sure he doesn't have the really dark head or points but, i think they will darken up as a yearling. I know roans are suppose to stay basically the same color but, I have found sometimes a weanling will not display the true depth of there color.

CanterburyCopperGlow7.jpg

BKcolt2007-1.jpg

BK has had some red [strawberry] roans but, I don't have pictures of them . Maybe Will G will post some of Groovin Buckeroo I think she is a beautiful red roan .

My only true roan is black, but I thought I'd share my chesnut varnish appy
default_smile.png

sagehead6.9287.jpg

sage3.9287.jpg

As a baby:

sugarrun1wk3sm22.jpg

Jessi

here are Jag's genes

*parents*

Jordan's Classic Cowboy (roan)

Triple R Little Bit Of Moon (roan)

Sires parents-

Vaughns JoJo (sorrel and white)

Sydney Little Bit (white)

Dams parents-

Mcf Moon Shadow (black)

Fra-Mars Little Miss Tidbit (sorrel)
Some please correct me if I am wrong, but to have a "true" roan, doesn't at least one parent have to be a roan? unsure Neither the dam nor the sire have roan parents listed, though they have them farther back. To me, that would say rabicano or sabino, which can be minimal and "hide" while true, dark-headed roan cannot.

Yep! but the funny thing is that the registeration colors aren't always right. But the "white" tells me gray.

The marking on the face is whats gets me because it looks like it's a bald face.

leave kate alone it is a roan i saw it in person so ha RollEyes

wel he has the darker points on his legs and head and his blaze does not go over his eyes and he doesnt have a white spot on his lower lip!?!?!?!?!!?!

I am not sure why this is upsetting you? Your horse is a very pretty color however he isnt a roan. If he were his head would be very much darker as would his legs as others have pointed out. He is a very pretty colored sabino

The parents could not have been true roans at all since the there parents were not roans. It doesnt make your horse any less then you thought he is simply not a roan.

In fact there is a possiblity -probability that you will get lots of chrome on foals from him if he is a stallion!

I am not sure why this is upsetting you? Your horse is a very pretty color however he isnt a roan. If he were his head would be very much darker as would his legs as others have pointed out. He is a very pretty colored sabino

The parents could not have been true roans at all since the there parents were not roans. It doesnt make your horse any less then you thought he is simply not a roan.

In fact there is a possiblity -probability that you will get lots of chrome on foals from him if he is a stallion!
ok he is not SABINO i am sorry to say that u r wrong but u r (not to be mean or rude)

his stripe does not pass his eyes and he has no white spots on his lower lip

and my mistake about he papers his sire has 1 roan parent and his dam has 2

Here is my red roan mini mare. Here dam is the same color and her sire is a red pinto.

minytrot_5_2007.jpg

minytrot2007small.jpg

Leslie

ok he is not SABINO i am sorry to say that u r wrong but u r (not to be mean or rude)his stripe does not pass his eyes and he has no white spots on his lower lip

and my mistake about he papers his sire has 1 roan parent and his dam has 2
Nope...sorry to say but you are the wrong one here and I am sorry that you can not learn from this because you are definitely taking these posts as criticisms when really people are trying to educate you. Which is what everyone who is on this forum should want...education on their horses.

Your boy is sabino.

end of story.

And what you put down says that none of his grandparents are roan. Unless you forgot to leave that out. And registrations mean NOTHING. I have 2 silver dapples at my place...one registered as cremello and another registered as palomino. Both are incorrect. I also have a chestnut sabino pinto mare that is registered as a red roan pinto. WRONG!!

Do you see the white on your boy's face and the blue eyes?? That is sabino. Is his face darker red? NO. Then he is NOT a red roan. He is sabino. Tests mean nothing for sabino since there are many different forms and only one test. And sabinos definitely look red roan but they are not. They are sabino. If you don't want a sabino horse then go ahead and send him to me... I'd love to add another to my farm. Oh and how can you tell he does not have a white spot on his lower lip when it lookes to me like his head is white and he has pink lips??

Sorry if I sounded a tish bit frustrated...I just think you need to be a teensy bit more open to other people on here. They are just trying to help.

sorry im getting frustrated too.
default_no.gif
default_unsure.png
but isnt a sabino a pinto the woman who bred him and his parents and grandparents said is strawberry roan (red roan) and there is no way he could be sabino see!

l_6f102cbadfba4db576d3707f32ea6698.jpg

that pic you just posted couldn't in any way on earth be a roan.

it's a typical SABINO!!!! THAT'S WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE!!!!!!

I ditto what ohmt said. Don't know why you are so reluctant to learn. He is Sabino. And actually from the other pictures i've seen of him -this one included- he does have a lower lip spot, not like that is the end-all say-all in this situation, just thought I'd point out. He does not have a dark head. He does not have significantly darker legs. He doesn't even have the normal roan body color. You, a young girl, versus the experience of 4 pages of knowledgeable miniature horse people.....
default_rolleyes.gif
there comes a point when you have to realize who knows what they are talking about, and who would just like to think so.

I personally LOVE sabinos. I think my next horse will be one.
default_smile.png
And like i always say....screw what colors the papers have, in my experience they are wrong more often than not. One Sabino I'm looking at is registered as red roan in one registry, and solid sorrel in the other. It's quite amusing actually.

wow....definitely sabino! see how his points aren't darker? and his white face and gorgeous blue eyes....soooo sabino. this is the sabino coloring to a T. He doesn't need bit pinto spots to be sabino. Other people will know more about this than me but I think sabino is a form of overo and is more of like a roany-blue eyes thing?? I don't think it's a pinto trait. It's an overo trait?? See I'm confused on this stuff too!!! But I do know he is sabino and not red roan. I must say I love both colors though! Many people...especially the old time breeders (sorry! I'm not trying to catergorize!) aren't really up to speed with colors and still stick with their own ways of doing things. They call it strawberry roan but it is sabino. Just like my two silver dapples....it was grandma that did that...she'd still call them grey or palomino or cremello if I didn't help her sometimes!

ok i will research on it i am just defending what my good friend who bred him said, and i want to learn that is why im on here but this woman has been breeding for YEARS!!! and so i was just relying on what she told me

The horse is no more a roan than he is a chimpanzee.

Even breeders get things mixed up sometimes, ESPECIALLY those who have been at it for years. they go by their old ways, therefor I wouldn't doubt at all she did think he was a red roan. I have bought a "palomino" that was really silver bay, seen people sell horses as "gray" when it's silver something.

Sabino is a form of pinto, if you wanna call it that, meaning white pattern. I hate to use the term "overo" because all that means is not tobiano. so in my mind sabino is sort of "overo," as innacrate as that is. Sabino does not, however, cause blue eyes. that is from splash or frame, since he is not a double dilute. So he does carry multiple pinto genes there, some form of sabino that isn't sabino 1, and either splash or frame. notice roan isn't one of them.

Here is a pic of a tovero mare with the tobiano and sabino gene:

springmelody.jpg

(owned by Broken M..Pat and Gerry Meier...I have permission to post!)

This is the filly I mentioned earlier is registered as a red roan pinto but is actually a Tobiano with the sabino gene....no blue eyes but lots of roaning! The first pic is of her as a yearling and you can kind of see the roaning...the last two are of her as a 2 year old with her full winter coat-you can still see the roaning.

PAB-left2.jpg

peekabool3.jpg

peekaboor2.jpg

This was her sire: homozygous pinto...with the sabino gene. One blue eye. (sorry bout the satan eyes!)

Valiant-close.jpg

Please visit this site for wonderful examples of sabino overo horses: http://www.miniatureequine.com/brokenm/mares.html

**** Edited to add a thank you Alex for explaining that to me. I know I've read that somewhere just didn't remember it at the time of posting. And now looking at the pics I have my sabinos haven't all had blue eyes. But blue eyes are a form of splash and a lot of times the frames and splashh and sabino kind of go hand in hand. Not saying that one always means the other. Just that a lot of times they come together.

Latest posts

Back