Lets see those STRAWBERRY ROANS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAGamble11

Reaction score
heres my Strawberry roan stallion Just-A-Gamble

m_1ebdde7eb436195137db7f7dd54ace97.jpg

Are you sure your boy is a roan? He looks sabino to me. If that is what you are wanting to see pictures of, I have two sabinos, and some that are sabino + other patterns. I don't have any roans.

Here's my sabino mare, Jandts Cheeri Deeri, first pictured in winter coat when she appears darker, and then in summer coat when she gets lighter:

Dinah2Oct172004.jpg

DinahHeadandNeckJuly06LittleHousePh.jpg

Redrock Incognito who always has a lot more red hairs than the above mare:

IncognitoLizPicsmall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe there are strawberry roans..they are sabino..here are mine..its funny, they looked almost identical when I got them, but now they are different colors! Here are my 2 mares

IMG_0645.jpg

Dora.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Hear is my sabino, pinto gelding, One Ritz-C-Kid,

Picture323.jpg

Roybefore.jpg

Picture202.jpg

HE IS NOT SABINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HE IS STRAWBERRY ROAN GET IT STRAIGHT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of getting an attitude, since you seem so sure of your boy being a strawberry roan, why not take this opportunity to educate us? In your opinion, what makes him a strawberry roan? What is your definition of a strawberry roan?

Instead of getting an attitude, since you seem so sure of your boy being a strawberry roan, why not take this opportunity to educate us? In your opinion, what makes him a strawberry roan? What is your definition of a strawberry roan?
im sorry i didnt meen to get an attitude i will now edjucate you i know for 1 he is a stawberry roan because we got him tested for Sabino and he came out -NEGATIVE and his father is a strawberry roan and his mom is a red roan so that is all i can say at the moment

I agree... none of these horses yet (except Kendra's filly) are STRAWBERRY ROANS. They are chestnut sabinos. I suppose if you just want to use "slang" they could be considered "strawberry roan" but technically that's incorrect.

Sorry JustAGamble... but your horse isn't "less" of a horse because it's not a roan! A good horse is any color!

A lot of Forum members are well-educated in color and are desperately trying to dispel the myths and ignorance about color genetics! Don't get defensive... you might learn something!

Andrea

I agree... none of these horses yet (except Kendra's filly) are STRAWBERRY ROANS. They are chestnut sabinos. I suppose if you just want to use "slang" they could be considered "strawberry roan" but technically that's incorrect.Sorry JustAGamble... but your horse isn't "less" of a horse because it's not a roan! A good horse is any color!

A lot of Forum members are well-educated in color and are desperately trying to dispel the myths and ignorance about color genetics! Don't get defensive... you might learn something!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

JustAGamble-Yeah he definitely is Sabino. The reason he may have tested negative is because there is only a test for 1 form of Sabino, and there are many. He's just not Sabino 1, but he is obviously a chestnut sabino.

from EQUINE COAT COLOR GENETICS

Roan, caused by the roan gene, ®, consists of single white hairs intermingled with the base color of a horse. Roaning gives the horse a lightened appearance, while the mane, tail, head and legs tend to remain darker, close to the original base color. It is a dominant gene, meaning that any individual with at least one copy of the R gene trait will be roan. An implication of the gene's dominance is that at least one parent must be a roan in order to pass the gene on — it cannot appear in offspring of two non-roan parents, even if they have roan ancestors.

Roan horses are born roan and stay that way throughout life. Though there may be some changes in coat color when a foal sheds out its first "baby" coat, and color variation from summer to winter, but the horse will not progressively lighten each year the way a gray does. A roan and a gray can be distinguished from one another because a gray is born dark, and lightens more each year, usually on the head first, while a roan is born with intermixed hairs, and the head stays darker than the body.

The true roan gene appears in some breeds more than others. Roans are commonly found in Quarter Horses, American Saddlebreds, Tennessee Walking Horses, Connemara Ponies, Miniature horses, Welsh Ponies (though rarely, if ever, in Welsh Cobs) and Shetland Ponies.

Strawberry roan

The roan gene arguably does not appear in Arabians and Thoroughbreds; though horses in these breeds have been registered as "roan." It is thought that irregularly colored individuals in those breeds may actually carry the rabicano gene or the sabino gene complex rather than the "true" roan gene. In other cases, a young horse that was slow to turn gray was occasionally mistaken for a roan at the time of registration and the papers never corrected.

Several terms are used to describe different shades of roan in horses:

see also Equine coat color

Red or Strawberry Roan Begins genetically with a chestnut (sometimes called sorrel) base coat with white intermingled hairs. Like a chestnut, the mane and tail are red. Some red roans have so many white hairs as to have a near-pinkish tint while others, tending toward rabicano coloring, may have only a few white hairs intermingled on an otherwise dark coat.

As someone else pointed out, the test for sabino ONLY tests for the sabino gene that produces maximum expression (or white looking horses) sabino. Not all sabinos carry that particular gene. The stallion I posted pictures of does, as he has produced max expression foals, but the mare has not been tested nor has she ever produced a max expression sabino.

I know Roy is a sabino, he has some pretty kewl markings and he just isnt that roany texture. I was just posting to show some different sabino.

This is interesting about the colors.

I fully agree the horse in question is NOT a strawberry roan- the horse does have the Sabino gene as evidenced by the white on his face I personally have found horses I owned this color (who are literally pink in summer coat) tend to carry the silver gene as well at least in my own experience

here are Jag's genes

*parents*

Jordan's Classic Cowboy (roan)

Triple R Little Bit Of Moon (roan)

Sires parents-

Vaughns JoJo (sorrel and white)

Sydney Little Bit (white)

Dams parents-

Mcf Moon Shadow (black)

Fra-Mars Little Miss Tidbit (sorrel)

sires parent's parents-

Delta G John Henry (roan)

Kegleys Ellie Mae (sorrel)

D. & R.S Little Dancer (red roan)

Meadowbrook's Painted Doll (chesnut pinto)

Dams parents parents-

Hemlock brook's Gee Whiz (roan)

Ohio's Pride (?)

Ohio's Little CrackerJack (roan)

Kelly's Angel (sorrel and white)

And i got theses names and colors from his registration paper so they are all correct

Well I think hers is a very pretty RED ROAN..... :lol:

This is my red roan appy.

RED.jpg

roan is one of the hardest color patterns for people to understand. I cant tell you how many people especially at shows will claim they have a roan when its actually sabino. Or many times they confuse a true grey with blue (black) roan.

Also just because the papers say it doesnt mean its true unfortunatley. The registries are so behind on true color genetics that many many horses are registered wrong.

If you look at your sires parents it shows no roan so the sire could not be roan. I suspect yours are all sabinos that were mistaken for roan or the papers are wrong.

Things to keep in mind a TRUE roan will have always a roan parent. Head will be darker then body and the points on the legs will be darker.

IMO there is no such thing as a strawberry roan but thats just my opinion. We had a gelding years ago that was called this but he was obviously heavy sabino.

Here is my blue roan with her head clipped so you can see the darker head

smallkandifence.jpg

Head not clipped (you cant tell teh head is darker)

kandigoodcrop-397x310.jpg

Well I know mine is...FOR sure.

If the horse has darker points and the parent is a roan..

I have seen the sire of my mare he was a real red roan. darker points...

The only thing that got me about my mare was the blanket she has, but the sire was solid red roan. The dam was a sorrel snow cap appy.

Latest posts

Back