let's all share stories

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to think it was rather odd too Charlene, til it happened to me and I KNOW what I've seen and experienced. Now, I'm too old to care what people think about things like that, and love to share the stories and hear that many others have cool things happen too!

8 years ago I lost an older friend to lung cancer whom I was very close too. Watching her die from the cancer, chemo, and radiation was a horrible experience and affected me greatly. After she died, my apartment or truck would fill with the scent of her perfume. I always knew it was her letting me know she was ok. I find these communications to be a great comfort that our loved ones are never truely gone.

My grandma died about ten years ago when I was just a little kid. I never really knew her, but I had seen pictures of her and seen her in old videos. The one day I was at my grandpa's house with my aunt who was outside. I came in from the back yard going into the little entry way they had going into the house which veered off into the kitchen and the library. I was just singing to myself and looking in the mirror in the entry way to check out my hair (
default_biggrin.png
I will always be conscience of my hair). I started dancing a bit at that point just because I got really into the little song I was singing (I think it was Build Me Up, Buttercup). I swiftly turned my head for a nanosecond to glance briefly into the library. I saw an older woman sitting in a chair with blonde hair and a blue sweater. I only looked at the figure for a second, then turning my head in the opposite direction. I looked back realizing that I just saw a person. By the time I looked back, the figure was gone. I told my parents about that and they swear it was my grandma. I wasn't scared, but thankful she took the time to drop in and say hello!

morningmist, how awesome!!

the reference to the song made me smile. whenever i called to gary to help me with something, he's say "what's up, buttercup?"
default_biggrin.png

My Dad and I had issues...he was very strict, WWII prisoner of war, grew up really poor as a kid...worked hard...pretty serious type man. He was tuff on us...but made us pretty durable (so to speak). He was a Lionel Train collector...had a huge layout in the basement. When I was in school...he'd come home from 2nd shift work...go down stairs and run his trains...I'd lay in bed listening to the whistle...sometimes I'd go to the basement door and say..."I'm trying to go to sleep...I have school tomorrow...ugh...he'd say sorry forgot." Serious...he would just ozone out down there 'playing' with his trains. As an adult...I look back and think man...those were the toys he never had, those trains took him all the place that he never would go...it was his get away. We were at a horse show about 30 miles away when he died...Mom had insisted we go ahead to the show...things would be ok....and it wasent far away, so we did. Here is a story I wrote about what I experienced that night...it was read at his funeral. I was awake...sitting in my truck...nothing to drink...when this happened. It was amazing....Tim and Megan (age 8 then)...were in a vehicle behind me...I looked in my mirror like DID YOU SEE THAT????? They had not.....

THE LAST TRAIN

I saw the railroad crossing lights flashing as I drove back to the horse show after visiting Mom on the night Dad passed away. I had been with him that morning, watched him struggle so to breathe and fight for the last bits of life.

The engine's big headlights flashed back and forth warning of its approaching speed and size, telling drivers to halt, wait for its passing. As the windshield wipers clicked back and forth, the clock on the dash approached midnight.

I sat there just numb with sadness, fear of the unknown and wonder staring at the wheels of the traincars passing before me. I raised my eyes to the top of a boxcar and there he sat on the edge of that car. His legs were crossed, had one hand on the car roof and waived goodbye to me as he passed.

I smiled, thought how ironic, he was taking the last train out of town on that rainy night headed for a place that is filled with beauty, no pain, no fears, just peace and love.

Before he died, he said if he had felt better, he'd been out at our farm helping me with the horses and doing things on the farm. Though he never really allowed himself to get that close, I think in his heart he would have loved to have done that, lowered the barrier that kept him from just being himself and letting others in. He'd told me once, he didn't like to let people get too close to him, you just get hurt. Yes, Dad had felt a lot of pain in his life, but he'd made such peace before he left, if nothing else, I know he wanted to, he just couldn't.

He'd always talked of how much he loved the country and animals.

Now I know he's at peace with God, on a beautiful lush countryside, watching over my big horse Buddy and our mini colt, JD, with all the other critters scurrying at his feet. He saw them you know, they were in and out of his room, under his bed, in his heart, just like he will always be in ours.

connie, that is one of the most beautiful tributes i have ever read. thank you for sharing.
default_wub.png

your dad is watching over you, just as gary is watching over me.

That is beautiful, Connie.........You painted a wonderful picture with your words. I could see it.

He's definitely at peace........I hope you are too.

I had goose bumps reading Connie's post. I read the post aloud to my mom and you could see a tear drip down her face. We both thought it was beautiful!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back