Leg concerns..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnShadowsFarm

Reaction score
This sweet little filly was born about a month ago, perfect in every way except that her hind leg tendons were very weak or the flexor and extensor tendons/muscles were now balanceing each other as they should.

She was born with extreemly long toes..almost "snowshoes"..and I've worked to do corrective trimming on her to help correct this. He pasterns and fetlocks are almost normal now, and her hocks are MUCH improved. She runs and plays normally, but I'm still concerned about how straight her hocks are as you can see from this pic...

(She has been examined by the vet on several occasions and I'm told her skeletal stucture is normal.)

legs5-28-06.jpg

Any suggestions to help her continue to develop normally much appreciated!

that is awfully straight! unless maybe the fuzzy hair is making it look worse?? i would try clipping one leg to see how it looks. for sure if they stay that straight id be on the lookout for upward fixation of the patella

that is awfully straight! for sure if they stay that straight id be on the lookout for upward fixation of the patella
I agree...that is what I thought too. Those straight stifles are more prone to genetic knee problems as the horse matures.

Hi,

I have a question...? Does your mare get free choice minerals or mineral block? Or something that could possibly help and pass on to the foal to help strengthen the back end? But I would think it couldn't hurt?

I would agree with the first two statements- if this were mine....well, I hate to worry you, but I would be worrying!!

I am not sure what minerals would do at this stage in her development as what we have now is a conformational error- but if they are not already in your repertoire thay can do no harm, for sure!!

I think I would be asking a Farriers advice on this one- it is possible that some sort of build up at the back mat tilt her forward and help the situation.

It is also possible that this is a phase of development she is going through, and that the legs will catch up with the body, as it were- I do not really think so, I am just hoping out loud.

My farrier advises taking down the toe, which is what Rabbit is referring to, as well.

The heels should be a bit longer and the toe squared off to help the horse break over.

I can't stress enough that you should employ a very adept farrier w/good knowledge of horse physiology.

Minis are just small horses and they need to be treated as such.

This little one needs likely monthly trimming to keep her from developing any problems. I would say my vet/farrier would agree that free exercise is likely going to be her best rx.

She does look exceedingly straight to me, too. Will be interesting to see how she develops. All this may not be of much consequence. She MAY in fact be just fine, though the way she's appearing to be built now, I would cull her from a breeding plan and make other plans for the little sweetie.

Liz M.

Thanks all...

As for minerals: Yes, the mare is on an excellent and well balanced vit/min suppliment and also has access to free choice...and has since long before this pregnancy. Obviosly, the filly does too...

As for hoof trimming: I have nearly 15 years experience trimming and doing corrective work and was professionally triained by two expert farriers. I have trimmed her exactly as you have suggested above and give her a "rasp" every week or so to keep the hoof and leg structure balanced/over corrected as needed to help her develop as best as possible. Her progress has been remarkable! She was born with virtually no heal and WAY long toes! Her toes are now short, upright and squared off to encourage her hoof to "break over" as it should, and I'm working on growing her heal....

As for future breeding: Obviously she's not a candidate, that decision has already been made! But of course, my biggest concern if to correct this issue the best way I can and give her the best quality of life possible!!!!!!

Just wanted to say- Hopefully she'll grow out of it, but ... We know how likely that is
default_sad.png

It sounds like you know what you're doing... and even if she doesn't make it into a breeding program, I'm sure she'll be someone's beloved pet
default_smile.png
Good luck with her!

By any chance do you get Equus Magazine? There was a GREAT article about foals and legs in it.

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I might agree, but not in this case- she is far, far too straight.

I would be looking at the resin "build up" stuff I mentioned- I would not be putting any great height on such a young foal, but I would be using it to make sure that the heels are strengthened and do not break down. I do think this little one is going to need careful watching and a little extra help.

Just another wee hint- I too have had many years of farrier experience, and am also qualified- I would not actually start the work I am suggesting, myslef, without backup - it is a bit like being a Vet Nurse, rather than a Vet- I would feel more than up to it if I was told that what I was suggesting was correct- by a qualified remedial Farrier- I would NOT actually start the treatment myself!!!

I just wanted to add to my statement, that when I replied, I am replying to the straight stifles issue, which I feel will not be corrected with coming up on the hooves. I do see the foal is down in that area, but I think that to the degree that the stifle angle is straight, even coming up on the hooves won't make the proper angulation in the stifle joint.

My one colt this year is also VERY down in the back legs. He was worse when I got him here at 4 days of age. He is now a month old and is coming up slowly, BUT, that said, even as weak as he is there, he still has lots of angulation in the stifle joint. These pics are of him just after I got him home, and he is much stronger on them now than he was then, but still not up on them. You cannot see in these pics due to the grass, but he is not only week in the pasterns, but the bottoms of his soles show, facing forward. I personally feel these are two separate issues.

bonus.jpg
bonus2.jpg

Mona, I would agree..seperate issues. I think your foal will strengthen in time.

My filly is a different matter and I tihnk will require more "pro active" attention!

I've been doing physical therapy on her, trying to stretch and make the joints, tendons, etc., more flexable.

I hope time will help her...

If not, how is a situation like this treated?

Liz,

I do take Equus! Which issue?????

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in my opinion, her back legs are deformed and I don't believe that anything will fix them.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in my opinion, her back legs are deformed and I don't believe that anything will fix them.

Will all due respect Tony, I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion without seeing X rays or similar diagnostics!!!!!

As I mentioned, she's been evaluated by a reputable vet who finds no skeletal structural issues. I fully recognize that there is a problem here, one that needs diligent attention. But to say her legs are "deformed".... :nono:

Thanks anyway for sharing your "opinion"....

Felicia -

It's the May, 2006 issue, page 52 inside column. If you can't find it, PM me and I'd be more than happy to scan and email it to you.

Liz R.

Will all due respect Tony, I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion without seeing X rays or similar diagnostics!!!!!

As I mentioned, she's been evaluated by a reputable vet who finds no skeletal structural issues. I fully recognize that there is a problem here, one that needs diligent attention. But to say her legs are "deformed".... :nono:

Thanks anyway for sharing your "opinion"....
My opinion is based on forty years of breeding miniatures and a couple of foals strikingly like yours. I did not mean to offend you and hope that I am completely wrong.

One of the best vets I have ever worked with told me that one of my foals was totally normal, I disagreed saying that it was dwarf. Here is how the foal turned out as an adult. Decide for yourself who was right that time:

veroniquedogstoby.jpg

Do you have pictures of sire/dam? Or more pictures of this horse (not just hind end)? I am not sure if this horse is a dwarf but it is NOT a normally conformed foal. I am not sure that trimming will help much, because it is the skeletal deformity and not a hoof/tendon deformity going on.

Hmm I am not a vet obviously but I have to agree with Tony and Disney on this one it is more then a trimming issue

Hmm I am not a vet obviously but I have to agree with Tony and Disney on this one it is more then a trimming issue
My thoughts exactly.
I've had a couple foals that were quite down on their hind pasterns at birth; one of them had very long toes which needed trimming very soon after the foal was born, and neither of them were straight legged like this. I'm not sure just what your vet is meaning when he says that her skeletal structure is normal--I wouldn't go so far as to call it a deformity, but straight hind legs are a conformational defect; I guess the structure may be normal, but not correct & I don't believe any amount of corrective hoof trimming is going to make it correct.

I could be wrong, of course, but even though this foal's hind leg conformation may change/improve some as she matures. I would expect she will always be too straight in the hind legs.

I don't think anyone expects a normal foal out of this filly- the suggestions made- at least by me- were intended as suggestions to alleviate the condition, not cure it.

I do not feel this is something that will change too much as it is conformational- all that can be done is prevent it getting worse as I do not see surgery working if the Patellas start fixating, not in view of the conformation.

So, to alleviate the condition and to help the filly have a future..........

Latest posts

Back