Leg concerns..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't give up on her yet.

I had a filly born some years back that was 'post legged'. Her hocks were too straight in my opinion. She looked very much like your filly. I sold her and saw her the following year and I was amazed! Her hind legs were completely normal. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. So, it is possible that she could outgrow it. And I would consider putting her on a supplement such as Progressive Nutritions' Rejuvenade. It's a vitamin/mineral supplement for foals and growing horses and it really seems to help with leg issues.

I wouldn't give up on her yet.

I had a filly born some years back that was 'post legged'. Her hocks were too straight in my opinion. She looked very much like your filly. I sold her and saw her the following year and I was amazed! Her hind legs were completely normal. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. So, it is possible that she could outgrow it. And I would consider putting her on a supplement such as Progressive Nutritions' Rejuvenade. It's a vitamin/mineral supplement for foals and growing horses and it really seems to help with leg issues.

Thanks Becky!

I've NOT "given up" on her and again, I fully recognize that there is a problem that suggests she's not future "breeding quality". Neither of her parents show ANY signs of this sort of problem and her dam is in fact HOF in Halter and has never produced ANY foals with leg issues. Sire was unproven prior to this and of course, I have concern there. He is no longer breeding stock.

Regardless of the "cause"..I want to give her the best possible chance for a healthy life..THAT'S what I'm asking for advice about!

Becky, can you please give me more info on the suppliment you suggested. I "googled" it and came up blank....

I agree with everyone else that there is certainly too "straight" a rear leg.........and the nutritional side, also. That said, while you want to help her with improvement, my suggestion (and own attempts if she were mine) would be to work her on an incline to help develop those leg muscles as much as possible.

Do you have a "hill" that you could walk her up & down, working up to trotting, etc? Of course, it takes time and patience and careful watching, but that would work those hip/leg muscles, tendons, etc. It would be my own hope that that would develop enough stability for her to be able to have a normal existance.

Just my thoughts. I don't know that it will ever be possible to get the curvature you want but, certainly the exercise, combined with the footwork will be helpful in getting as much correction as her anatomy will allow.

Latest posts

Back