leather furniture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadowRidge Farm

Reaction score
I went furniture shopping today, and I found a really nice Eathen Allen leather set I really like. Its a dark , almost navy blue color with the nailheads. My house is decorated with a very country look,I have wood floors, open beams, walls are bayberry but can easily be painted
default_yes.gif
: and a big dk. blue braided rug...how do you think this would look? Here is my dilemma...I have never had leather furniture before, and do have 2 dogs, so if you have leather furniture do you like it? Give me the good and bad of it. I'm just not 150% sure on this, I would be getting the couch, love seat, chair and a big ottoman. Corinne

We have a leather couch and 3 dogs and though occasionally I do see scratches as of course they think they want to sleep on the couch the armor all leather wipes that are used for leather car upholstery work wonderful to take the surface scratches off. I was afraid that the leather would be too hot but so far this has not been the case. I cant tell you alot about wear as we have only had this couch for 3 years but so far it still looks like new and I would do it again. Hope this helps.

I have had leather furniture for 25 years and would never go back to fabric with all these pets. With the leather I just wipe it down and it's like new. Smells good too. I have allergies and mild asthma and the leather doesn't harbor pet ODOR (YUK) , dander or pet hairs.

Carol

ive got a leather settee and i love it, it comes up like new, i use baby wipes on it, and its so easy to keep clean far better than a fabric one, and because of my asthma its easy on the dust which helps my chest, especially if you have pets or babys, id give them 10 outta 10
default_yes.gif
:

We have had leather for about three years now (a multi dog family) and just love it! Ours is Natuzzi. (sp?) Buy the good stuff, the cheaper leathers do puncture and scratch easily, or so I've heard.

Shelley

http://www.trulyyoursfarm.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone!
default_wub.png
: The main reason I really do want leather is because of the pets and the easy cleaning, and it always seems to look like its new. I HAD it with carpet and went with all wood floors, LOVE THEM, now I have had it with material furniture, especially tapestry.. and its definitely on its way out .Another concern was dog scratches, but I guess they can be "covered" with any good leather cleaner/conditioner right?? My dogs would disown me if I wouldnt let them have the furniture
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin Corinne

We have had leather for about 7 years now and love it!! So easy to clean and keeps it's good looks even with pets and grandchildren. Wouldn't go back to cloth furniture unless I lived alone and not in the country. Mary

as said above i will never buy anything but leather! with 3 dogs and numerous children it holds up better then anything else we have ever owned.

Kay

I love my leather furniture, would never own anything else. I have three dogs, all allowed on the furniture and two kids who abuse it, and it still looks great. Cleans easy and comfortable too.

What if it gets water spilled on it or a pet pees on it?

Leather lover for over 10 yrs! Cleans up great, if sombody pees on it I use LEXOL leather cleaner and conditioner. Mostly I run a damp rag over it every Friday before anyone comes home so the paw prits are gone.
default_wacko.png
: I'd bever do fabric again! No fleas no hair!

My furniture is over 20 years old and stinks,. I use slip covers and they stink so I want to go leather someday too. Boy for what I paid for slipcovers, I could have had the chair. But I'm wondering since Devin gets on the furniture, wouldn't he poke holes in it with his toe nails?

Ok here's what I want

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.a...525|40527|40659

I drug Jerry into JCPENNEY just to have a look, since I don't have a pot to pee in I could still look right? Anyhow, I'd like that couch and a chair.

So, here's the thing for anyone seriously looking right now. The prices listed are bogus. The sales girl said there was an additional 40% off and an additional 10% off after that for some other reason and also payments on a credit card will be delayed for 18 months. So if you are looking, go to JCPENNEY and check it out.

But I'm wondering since Devin gets on the furniture, wouldn't he poke holes in it with his toe nails?
Depends on the quality and thickness of the hyde they use. Naturally cheap furniture is not going to last like better quality. When I got mine I had samples of what they were using. The color was just not a layer over the leather. It was infused all the way through. It was also thick..............no nails holes at all. But I have seen people buy some really cheap stuff where the color peels off. Most of the time you get what you pay for.

I bought my set 2 months ago, it was a "pricey" set, but its what I wanted, I got mine at the Ethen Allen Galleries which are across the US. like Carol said, some of the leather furniture is just a very cheap leather, and I just didnt see how that would hold up to my dogs. I have a VERY ACTIVE lab x terrier(??) 1 1/2 yrs old, she will jump from one end to the other, so I needed something that would live up to my dogs standards of play. My 12 yr old 135# lab...hes as goold as gold on furniture and only sleeps on one particular chair. I LOVE my set and would NEVER go back to material furniture again. GO for it Marty--you'll love it and wont regret it! Corinne

I have all leather furniture and I love it! Fabric doesn't last a week here :lol:

However, I found the opposite to be true. Our leather furniture in the livingroom is pretty good quality leather but it is soft and the cats ruin it! Then I fostered a couple of kittens and they hung from it and slide down it! It only happened once but the scratches were deep and are still there..........Long after the kitties found new homes:)

I find my cats love to sit on the top of the couches but if they get startled and slide they dig their claws in and do scratch the furniture.

None of the dogs have ever damaged the furniture.

I bought another set recently for downstairs and I bought a stiffer leather, it was definately cheaper too and I do find it better with the cats.

However, all the things that my kids have spilt on the furniture over the years and all the mud from the dogs come off easily and so I can deal with some scratches!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I have had a leather couch for about 7yrs now. I love mine. Just use leather conditioner on it 3-4 times a yr. is all I do.
default_yes.gif
:

Was always wondering also about leather furniture, my next coach and chairs are going to be leather,

would love to get a sectional with the reclining chairs

Thanks for the info.
default_wub.png
:

Mary, My couch reclines...both ends, and so does my chair :bgrin You'll love it once you get it! It took me awhile to make up my mind too. I always really liked leather, just wasnt sure with the dogs. Now, I would NEVER go back. My daughter has a wrap-around with the reclining ends, she loves it too,with the kids and dogs, its so easy to keep looking really clean! Corinne

Ok, so we've established that with the dogs and kids and hubbies leather works great. My question is, can you recover a couch with leather or would it cost as much to go out and buy a new one? Anyone have any experience with that?

Latest posts

Back