Leasing a horse out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
I am thinking about leasing my full size mare out, so I can get more minis. But how does this work? If I miss her too much can I always get her back when the lease is up? Do I have a say on anything she does? How much money do I get from the lease? Any? Im a little confused here. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Shayna

Yes, you still do get a say in what she does. BUT you cannot be too picky either. What YOU want has to be outlined at the beginning of the lease. Your best bet is to sit down and write out what is acceptable to you before advertising her.

*whats acceptable for use? Who can ride her? Who can transsport her? Can they move her to a new barn without telling you? Can they use their own trainer without your approval?

*feed and housing. Should be a part of your contract stating whats the minimum acceptable housing. Is it ok for her to be outside 24/7? What about INSIDE 24/7? can they turn her out with their own horses, or would you rather she stayed in her own turnout?

*who pays for routine vet and farrier care (this is usually the person who leases her from you).

*who pays emergency vet care? How do you determine who pays? (ie.If the horse colics, is it different than if the horse gets hurt while being ridden?)

etc etc

Once your contract is written up, be happy with it and resist the urge to keep adding things after the lease starts. Make regular visits and see that she is happy and healthy, but remember that not everyone will do everythign with her the way YOU did at home. If you think you might have a hard time with that, then reconsider putting her out for lease.

Just remember, if you're not very flexable, you will limit severely the people who will want to lease from you. That said, its OK to be picky about where she goes too, she is your baby afterall! Screen all potential lessees carefully. Its a good idea to check references, but most important is to know the environment the horse is going into. Visit if at all possible before the horse leaves your property.

Payment for the lease varies. If her worth on the market to sell is less than a few thousand, then you might attract a better lessee with a "care lease" where they don't pay you a fee, but rather assume the cost of keeping and feeding and vetting the horse. If she is a well bred, highly trained horse that is already showing well on a circuit then you may want to charge a small fee to make a bit of profit from the lease.

And finally, if you miss her, yes you can take her back at the end of the lease. Also, if her care is not as specified in the lease (ie, they aren't feeding her right, or you think they are being abusive) you can get her back immediately with written notice.

I just wanted to add that sometimes a lease does go bad, and then you will have the horse back until you can find a new lesee. So always be prepared for that possibility! Have a plan for how you would pay her bills and where she would live if at any given time she was returned. Situations change! If the lessee gets seriously ill for example and can't keep her. If you buy more minis, always keep a reserve of money behind in case your big girl needs it!

Back