Lasik vision correction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogs & LittleHorses

Reaction score
Recently on my way to work at a job site I have been driving by a Lasik center, and it's got me thinking...

I'm nearsighted and have had to correct my vision since I was about 16 or so. I wore contact lenses years ago but eventually my eyes just couldn't handle them for more than 5 or 6 hours.

One of things I hate about my glasses is that smaller rectangular lenses are now the style, so I am more aware of the edges of the lenses and where the world goes out of focus in peripheral vision.

It's not that I am concerned about my appearance with the glasses on, I suppose it makes me look a little more "tech oriented" for work, even. But it would be sooo great to wake up seeing clearly, not having lenses fog up or get wet in the rain, etc. It might give me a boost of confidence also socially.
default_wink.png

It seems that when you research it, you find that about 5% or so people have had bad experiences, and boy do they make themselves known with anti-Lasik web pages! :DOH!

I also have a minor problem with "floaters" in my eyes, and I read that this can become worsened by the procedure.

Any thoughts, comments, personal experiences to share?

Thanks!

Daryl

Last edited by a moderator:
I had it done about 10 years ago. Has been wonderful, no problems then and none now. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I would just make sure that whoever does it is completely qualified. Good luck.

I just had this done in September! Best thing I ever did! I had really bad vision, bad astigmatism... couldn't see the clock without my glasses. I was 20/20 the day after surgery....Actually after the surgery you are told to go sleep it off....I had the surgery done around 9 am and layed down around 10 am, woke up at 3:00 and looked over at the clock through my bug shields I had taped on and could see the clock, a little blurry, but I could tell time! Just do the drops like they tell you, and follow all the instructions, I have had no side effects at all.

As for the surgery, It was not painful.......mainly alot of pressure on your eye, but it does not last long. You can pm me with any questions you may have! I had the Intralase Lasik, the kind where the laser cuts the flap.......not the blade!

It is so nice not to have to put glasses on in the morning, or my contacts in.......I have worn contacts for over 20 years, I wish I had done it sooner!
default_wink.png

I had it done in March....I can't believe I waited so long to have it done, I should of had it years ago. I was wearing glasses for over 25 years (sometimes I would wear contacts), it is the best thing I've ever done. If you are a canidate, seriously consider it, it is such a sense of freedom to be able to see clearly without any aides. I can do physical actiivites without glasses/contacts getting in my way. My eyes were dry for a little while (I had dry eye syndrome prior to the surgery anyhow), it took a couple months for the dryness to go away, but now I have no problems. I was severyly nearsighted with astigmatisms in both eyes. My far vision is better than 20/20 now.

I will say that I can tell my close up vision is detoriating quickly, which is common with lasik, and I was warned of that by my Dr. I'm still 20/20 close up but I have struggle a bit, no need for glasses for reading now, but probably in the near future.

They can adjust one eye for farsightedness and one for nearsightedness and together your eyes will adjust and you will be 20/20 both far and near. I could not do that type of surgery because of my job I have to be 20/20 seperately, so the time may come when I will need glasses for close up while at work, but I can deal with that.

Hubby had it done a couple of years ago and he also wondered why he waited so long to have it done. He wore glasses since his late teens and contacts at one point too. He walked out of that office being able to see really well....drove to work the next day no problems. I was in the waiting room watching the surgery on a monitor. It was not bad at all for him. I was the one cringing and getting all weak in the knees
default_wacko.png
. Did'nt take long at all. Oh yea...the one thing he did notice was like a burned smell...like burning of hair at one point....but that's about it. Good luck if you do decide to do it. I agree with Cricket.....make sure you check out and do your homework as far as the credentials of the Dr. doing the procedure.

I had it done about 8 years ago, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It beats the bifocals I use to have to wear and get frustrated with. Just make sure the doctor doing the surgery is qualified and just follow the instructions that they give you. There isnt that much pain with it and the change is almost instant!!!

Julie

Daryl,

I'd just be sure to thoroughly research who you go with -- but then, I know you would without my saying it!

What I wouldn't give to have even the not-so-great vision I used to have...I'd absolutely go for it if I were you!

In my 'old age' I am having trouble seeing up close, so have to wear glasses for reading, but can see fine with everything else, so am constantly having to put them on and off at work or home. It is really annoying when I go shopping because I dont need glasses to get around but can't read the labels on things anymore when the writing is really small- like ingredients in some things, price tags, etc... Reading a menu in a dim restaurant is impossible without reading glasses now too even with a bit larger print.
default_sad.png

I dont know if there is any surgury to help this type of issue or even what it's called? (when you can't see up close?) Anybody know? My skin sometimes does not like the plastic, etc.. of wearing glasses so that is annoying too.

Many many years ago I had just one eye done as I was near sighted. So I had near vision in one eye and (new) distant vision in the other. Worked great for me that way except for a slight problem with depth perception. One thing to remember though is that as you age your eyes will still change, meaning it isn't a forever fix....but wonderful until age catches up with you. Actually I've been thinking about checking into having it done again - except it would have to be both of them this time.

Laurie this is something you might want to check into. Your problem sounds very similar to mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back