Laptop connect card

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I just ordered a laptop connect card thru my phone service, we live out rural and have only had dial up (ugh!
default_gaah.gif
) and have not been able to update my website with the uploading, downloading of pictures like I need and just going on facebook which I keep getting all these emails from everyone and looks like so much fun, is a major time drain. The satellite was going to cost more than I wanted to spend, having spent only ten dollars for dial up all along, but this card will be a little cheaper than the satellite and I can hook up to the internet anywhere. I supposedly have 3g (whatever that means
default_rolleyes.gif
) in my area. Does anyone else have the connect card and how does it work for you?

Terri

I don't have a laptop connect card, but I have a wireless device from my cell phone company, and I feel it is the best thing since sliced bread! I can use it on my laptop or my desktop. I too had only the slow dial up, out in the rural areas, nothing else was available but satellite, and I felt that it would constrict me too much, and was far too expensive. I got this little wireless device, it is completely portable, and as long as you get cell phone reception, you are good to go! Haven't been anywhere yet that I couldn't get connection. My daughter just a couple of weeks ago, got the same wireless device, took her laptop with her to a show, and had great connections. She owns her own business, and this will allow her much more freedom to go to shows, travel, whatever! Hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying ours! Ours is with Alltel/Verizon.

I've used what I think is the same kind of device, for work. It works using cell phone service. You install the software, plug in this little doohicky with a little antenna on it, and off you go! It was great, as fast as my home DSL line, and you can use it anywhere your cell phone would get coverage. Waaaaay better than dial-up!

I have the AT&T (Cingular) version. It is great. When I'm traveling I plug it directly into my laptop. At home I plug it into a wireless router and it gives me WiFi connectivity all over the house.

default_smile.png

Yes, it's thru AT&T. I am looking forward to getting it if it as good as it sounds! No more clicking on something then going away and coming back to look at the pics that have finally come up!

I too have one. It has really worked great for me. Mine is through Verizon but I do know that AT & T has them also.

Arlene

Basically it's just a wireless phone line that plugs into your computer.

Had one with Verizon, which had a 30 day free trial. While it was a little faster than dial up, not so much so that it was worth 3X the price. My daughter just got one and says the same thing! The reception is good but still not nearly as fast as a DSL line. Disappointing. May be the area we are in but, don't know. I'm considering Satellite at this time. DSL not available to my home and I'm not in a terribly rural area, just not available. RATS!!

The good thing is the portablity -- but, I don't own a laptop, so not a big deal to me, LOL. Maybe we are just too populated in my area for the wireless to give us the high speed sought. The computer may also limit your speed if the processor is slower. I'm no tech, trust me!! But this has been suggested to me. Mine is not an old computer and daughter's in brand new! Believe it MAY be our area.

Any techs on here can comment on the area and population thoughts? May change my mind.

I am very interested in a Laptop wireless connect card....thru ATT....I searched their website and found how much the card cost, but how much to access the internet per month? you can pm me if desired.

Al B? You can also use it at home in place of, say , satellite(sp) internet?

Sue
default_smile.png

I got my card in from fed ex today and am on it right now, so far real good! I have been on facebook and actually able to get off the first page, went to youtube and watched ghost whisperer and have been looking at pictures here on the forum.

I did talk to the tech guy at school where I work and he told me to be sure and call and find out if I had 3G here at the house, that it does make a difference on how well it works. I do and so far I like it, I do have 30 days to try it out also. I hope it works as good as I think it is going to.

I was charged 99.99 for the connect card and 36.00 for activation with a rebate of $100.00 after my month is up. I will be charged $60.00 a month for the service. I am stopping my dial up next week which will be $10.00 extra a month and I reduced my phone bill by another $10.00 so I am really only paying $40.00 more dollars and month. If I can do what I want on my computer without it taking half the night it will be worth it. We only use our house phone for equipage so I just went down to basic service of $19.00 a month.

Sue,

I have the AT&T verson. The card is a Sierra 875. I believe AT&T now sells the Sierra 881. You can use it anywhere you can get reception. If you can connect to the 3G network you will get 300-400kbps. If all you have in your area is the older EDGE network you won't get much better than dial up. The card plugs into the side of my laptop when we're using it on the road.

At home I have a wireless router (Dlink DIR 451) that I plug it into. Then all my other computers and printer in the house connect to the router via WiFi. Makes for a neat wireless network around the house. However, if I could get DSL there would be no question.

default_smile.png

Thanks Al and minih. I think I'll get one if we have 3G in my area. Sure would be nice to go online at the horse shows whenever I wanted.
default_smile.png

Sue
default_smile.png

edited to add: we do have satellite internet which is excellent, and like Sonya have a wireless router, but I sure would like to get on the internet while at horse shows. OK, I admit it....I am addicted to the computer. And there is no cure
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We had to go for the satellite, no wireless coverage in our area except verizon...which does work (cell phones) but only sometimes, not strong enough signal for a wireless adapter. So far I like the satellite, it's not as fast as cable, but way way faster than dialup. We haven't had any issues with it going out either. It was $240 for the equipment and $59/month for the fastest service. We have connected a wireless router to it (even though they say not to...it will slow it down) so we can also use out laptops anywhere in the house. I can sit on my back porch in the am with coffee and surf...I love it!

Between the satellite internet and our directv satellite it looks like we are trying to contact aliens!

I saw one from Sprint, and was thinking of getting one, as I'm considering giving up the house landline, going completely wireless, with the Everything phone and wireless internet. They only thing I'm worried about is if they have a limit on dowloading from the internet. I get quite a few emails mostly junk but will that add up fast and end up costing me more to use the internet. Does anyone know how they work that.

UPDATE!!!!! I tried to upload some pictures from my camera to Shutterfly and it kept locking up on me, went to the little att manager on my desktop and it was on only 2 bars. Apparently it is just like a cell phone and for no reason I can get poor service at times.......needless to say I took them up on their return policy. I am back on dial up for the moment, I am calling satellite tomorrow and paying the extra to have decent service. I am tired of waiting and waiting and waiting.............
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back