Lacy's Journal Ad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=10pt]WOW...Dona for "non" professional pictures..they look GREAT!![/SIZE]

The ad is just Gorgeous, I can`t wait to see it!!! :new_shocked:

Woohoo! Looks great!! I got my first ad done too and it will be in the April Journal as well. I will post mine here for people that dont get the Journal later on. Way to go!

-Kris

Very nice horse and advertisment for your farm! Love it totally, now that horse is something I would be very proud to have in my barn for sure! That's my type of horse!

Congrats on your awards!

We also will have our advertisement in Aprils Journal for our 4 horses that placed in the National All-Star Performers. That issue will be awesome to read, can't wait to see everyone's pictures of their accomplishments with their horses!

Thank you so much for the compliments on the ad design...of course, I had great inspiration with Lacy and Dona's great efforts and vision!

Just to give you an idea of what I do when I create an ad...

My specialty is identity design, which involves creating a visual image/personality for companies and organizations. I create a recognizable "look" that reflects the essence of the people, services, good, and in this case, horses involved; this forms a basis for all future marketing efforts.

While an identity system often begins with designing a logo or an individual printed or digital piece, it more typically goes far beyond to include signage, website, ads, brochures and other marketing materials, uniforms and promotional items, and more. I subcontract with top creative professionals such as photographers, copywriters, web programmers, interior designers and more to keep my clients' identity consistently on target.

In Dona's case, I wanted to position her farm as one of the top specialty breeders of exquisitely beautiful and colorful overo miniature horses; a small, selective operation by choice. I wanted to show both the results of her breeding program to date and its future. To properly reflect Dona and the beauty of her horses, this needed to be a classy, cleanly designed ad.

Because of her midwest location and her name, I turned to the prairie/mission style of design and a bit of native American influence. The overall ad was designed to command the two page spread on which it appears, so that no matter how busy the opposite page may be, the reader's eye will still be drawn to Lacy's captivating visage.

I'm continually frustrated by seeing photos running way too dark in the Journal and the World. Most photos are way too dark, with all detail lost in the shadows. This is NOT a given with a photo of even a dark horse, but rather a matter of digital image correction and proper pre-press, allowing for dot gain and black and white points.

With good quality photos, like Dona's, detail can almost always be pulled out of the shadows. Many people are surprised to see that a photo properly balanced for offset printing appears very light and rather flat. This is to compensate for dot gain. Of course, one cannot control over- and under-inking on the press, which can make the best prepared photo. look bad...hopefully we'll have optimal ink coverage!

Creating a recognizable image for your business and taking a consistent, wholistic marketing approach to all you do, your marketing efforts will pay off.

I hope I haven't bored everyone to tears by writing a book here... Once again, thank you for all your kind comments!

Latest posts

Back